James Brown says, best white soul singer is..

RonJonSurfer

Rod Stewart Named 'Best White Soul Singer'

Stewart was bestowed the honorary title by the Godfather Of Soul, James Brown.

Veteran rocker Rod Stewart is ecstatic after soul legend James Brown crowned him music's "best white soul singer."

Stewart was bestowed with the honorary title after a recent backstage bonding session with the Godfather Of Soul.

Stewart says, "Well that's what James Brown told me. I was very flattered.

"I went backstage to say hello and he was in very good spirits. Seemed to be all there still upstairs. His knees are playing him up and I told him I've got the same problem."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2006

Ok I was thinking on this and who said it has to be a guy?? Joss Stone has one of the best white soul voices out there, that chic has soul running through her. Also Lisa Stansfield, I have a couple of her albums and she has a very smooth soul/R&B voice. And he may not be the best, but I would put him in the top 10, Daryl Hall. Back in the 70's before they went pop, his voice was the true meaning of blue-eyed soul.

I agree with Jane about Joss Stone having a great soulful voice.

I can understand Rod Stewart as a candidate. His recording of "Old Motown Records" with (I believe) The Spinners, is very indicative of his soulful vocals. On some of his other songs as well, he sounds very much like Sam Cooke. Same phrasing style and voice timbre.

• 2 months later...

I like James Brown n all but what's with calling him the "Godfather of soul"? Isn't it just the "Father of..." or "God of..." and that's it? Erm..whatever.

But I can see how Rod is chosen, he has a wonderful voice, especially in his early career as was said... reminds me voice-wise of the male equivalent of Janis Joplin ha. ;)

Joss Stone, I saw her at the Grammy's doing that Joplin tribute with Melissa Etheridge, girls' got something there. I first saw her on Oprah once (not that I watch Oprah, Simon Cowell was on :) *drools*), and when Oprah introduced her I was thinking, "Oh great. 'Nother pop singer to crowd the radio waves." However I was really blown away, girl's got a fabulous voice and something going for her, definatly should have been in here somewhere.

Oh we should make a list. :]

I just read about his death... he was 73. I saw him three times, two of them, amazing... the other, he was so stoned/drunk/whatever the band kept playing for an hour and he just appeared on stage for some 10 minutes, very funny... (well, for those like me who doesn´t pay for the tickets... :P )

I´m going to play my best James Brown records now...