• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere"

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Written by Bob Dylan in 1967, it was recorded as a demo with The Band.

Later released in "The Basement Tapes".

In 1989, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with Roger McGuinn(The Byrds)recorded the song.

It was a track of the band's LP "Will the Circle Be Unbroken: Volume Two". McGuinn sings "Dylan" after the line "Pack up your money, pick up your tent".Chris Hillman played bass.

It was released as a single and made #6 on Billboard Hot Country Singles chart and #11 in Canadian country music charts.

The single was credited to McGuinn and Hillman.

Edited by Guest

"Holy Water"

Bad Company

Written by Brian Howe and Terry Thomas.

The opening track of their ninth studio album, "Holy Water", released in June 1990.

The single, released with "I Can't Live Without You", made #1 on US Main Charts, #89 on Billboard Top 100 and #56 in Canada.

"You Baby"

The Turtles

Written by P.F. Sloan and Steve Barri.

A track of their second LP, "You Baby", from 1966.

It was also released as a single, B-sided by "Wanderin' Kind" and making #20 on Billboard Hot 100.

The Songfactor's Top 10 #379

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #379

1. Easy Money – Foghat (1978)

2. Footstompin' Music – Grand Funk Railroad (1971)

3. Sweet Tuesday Morning – Badfinger (1971)

4. Working At The Car Wash Blues – Jim Croce (1974)

5. Muscle of Love – Alice Cooper (1973)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"Muscle of Love"

Alice Cooper

Written by Alice Cooper, Dennis Dunaway, Glen Buxton, Michael Bruce and Neal Smit.

A track of his album "Muscle Of Love", released on November 20, 1973.

It was released as a single with "Crazy Little Child" as the B-side but it didn't chart.

The Muscle of Love album has been criticized by critics and fans alike for lacking the focused style that defined classic Alice Cooper albums like Killer and Billion Dollar Babies. Despite this problem, the album included some fine rockers. The best was the title track, a punchy riff-fest that mined the subject of hormonal teenagers for its lyrical grist. "Muscle of Love" was originally entitled "Respect for the Sleepers" and had a more otherworldly lyrical bent but was rewritten during the album sessions in a way that makes it an interesting teen-themed companion piece to "Teenage Lament '74." The finished lyric plays like the confession of a hormonal teen who claims "I must have come to that crazy age/Where everything is hot." The title object he refers to happens to be his heart, but lyrics like "Lock the door in the bathroom now/I just can't get caught in here" might lead a listener to think otherwise. The melody moves at a fast clip, juxtaposing short, bouncy verses with a triumphantly ascending chorus. Alice Cooper's recording pushes the song into the hard rock stratosphere by pumping it up with an aggressive arrangement that pushes its twisting guitar riffs and thumping bass lines with stomping, almost militaristic drum work. It also adds a fun, mock-Wagnerian coda where the band endlessly reprises the chorus while Cooper wails the title and a background chorus sings a Handel-derived "Hallelujah!" vocal. The result didn't find much success as a single, but "Muscle of Love" became a live favorite and later turned up on Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits album.

"...it's about sexual awakenings. It's about the kid who just learned how to masturbate, and what all those dirty books his father used to hide are all about.

"Working At The Car Wash Blues"

Jim Croce

Written by Jim Croce

A track from his December 1973 album, "I Got A Name".

The single, B-sided by "Thursday", was released in May 1974. It made #32 in July 1974 on the Billboard Hot 100, #9 on Billboard Adult Contemporary, #20 on Cash Box Top 100 and it also charted in Canada, making #2 on RPM Adult Contemporary.

Jim Croce described this song as having a "funky street feel". During a performance, he explained the song as "a story about a guy who thinks he thinks he should be ruling the universe somewhere, but he is really working at a car wash". Croce explained he came up with the idea for the song while in the military at Fort Jackson running telephone cables on poles and thinking he should be doing something else. While on top of the pole he thought about everyone in the same situation thinking they should be doing another "gig" and have a different job.

In the song a man has just been released from county prison. He goes out looking for a job in an executive position but nobody will hire him. The only job he can get is at a car wash and it causes him to have the blues and be unhappy. He fantasizes about working in an air-conditioned office and flirting with his secretary but the reality of working at the car wash sets in again.

It was a posthumous album and single, as Croce died in September 1973.

"Footstompin' Music "

Grand Funk Railroad

Written by Mark Farner.

The opening track of their fifth studio album, "E Pluribus Funk", recorded in September and released in November 1971.

It was released as a single, B-sided by "I Come Tumblin'" in March 1972.

It made #29 On Billboard Hot 100 and #43 in canada.

Footstompin' Music became a staple at Grand Funk Railroad's concerts, having been recorded at the Survival sessions but not included on the original release. It was brought into their next album setlist, E Pluribus Funk, with a slight different arrangement and without the word "Jam" on its title. The song is featured in the live albums "Live: The 1971 Tour", "Caught in the Act" and "Bosnia" .
Edited by Guest

"Sweet Tuesday Morning"

Badfinger

Written by Joey Molland.

A track from their third album, "Straight Up".

It was recorded between May and October 1971 and released on December 13th in the US and on February 11th, 1972,in the UK.

It was relased as the B-side of "Day After Day" in the UK in January 1972.

Easily one of Joey Molland's finest ballad statements in the Badfinger catalog. "Sweet Tuesday Morning" is a deeply felt and tender statement of love and longing. Set against a beautifully subtle acoustic guitar patter, the folk-styled fingerpicking here sets the tone for the whole piece. Like "Monday, Monday," the lyrics set the song in a day of the week -- the fact that it is able to conjure up so many emotions is smiley beautiful in its melancholy. Molland, who wrote some very fine rockers for the group, never quite mastered the grace that can be found in this song, and, for that reason, it remains a sterling moment on the group and his canon.

A correction had to be made to this weeks' top 10. Audioslave's "I Am The Highway" actually made the list, but there was a slight miscount. No facts are yet entered for that track.

"I Am the Highway" is a song by American rock band Audioslave and the fourth single from their 2002 self-titled debut, released in 2004. It reached #66 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2004, #2 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and #3 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart.

No music video was made for "I Am the Highway." The band used footage from the Live in Cuba DVD to promote the single.

This song is about a relationship that wasn't meant to last by the female's decision, but the male (singer) wanted it to be something more.

A correction had to be made to this weeks' top 10. Audioslave's "I Am The Highway" actually made the list, but there was a slight miscount. No facts are yet entered for that track.

This song is about a relationship that wasn't meant to last by the female's decision, but the male (singer) wanted it to be something more.

Written by Chris Cornell and Audioslave.

Thank you Kenne!! :cool:

The Songfactor's Top 10 #380

This week there is 7(seven) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #380

1. We Are Motörhead – Motörhead (2000)

2. I Wonder Why – Dion & The Belmonts (1957)

3. Hurry Sundown – The Outlaws (1977)

4. Never Marry A Railroad Man – Shocking Blue (1972)

5 .Show Me – Joe Tex (1967)

6. Story Of The Blues – Gary Moore (1990)

7 .Up In Smoke – Cheech and Chong (1974)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

"We Are Motörhead"

Motörhead

Written by Phil Campbell, Mikkey Dee and Lemmy

Kilmister.

A track of their album "We Are Motörhead", from May 2000.

The song was the second single released from the album but it failed to chart.

Edited by Guest

"I Wonder Why"

Dion & The Belmonts

Written by Melvin Anderson and Ricardo Weeks.

Recorded by Dion and the Belmonts and released on

May 5th, 1958. Its B-side was "Teen Angel".

The single made #22 on Billboard Hot 100 by April 1958.

Sung as a man who tells his lover that he doesn't know why he loves her.

"Show Me"

Joe Tex

Written by Joe Tex.

The single made #35 on Billboard Hot 100 and #24 on the Hot Rock&Blues charts.

Although even the most avid student of 1960s soul music would swear that "Show Me" was a Memphis- or Muscle Shoals-derived groove, the truth is that Tex documented the song in Nashville, TN, in February of 1967, backed by Lee Royal Hadley (guitar), Clyde Williams (drums), Emile Hall (trumpet), Leroy Monroe (trumpet), Sly Sellers (trombone), Anthony Dorsey (trombone), and Charles Farley (tenor sax). It is astonishing how precisely the core band sounds to Booker T. & the MG's. The catchy guitar riff is dead-on Steve Cropper, while the undulating and funky bassline practically mirrors Donald "Duck" Dunn's trademark fluidity. Tex belts out the lyrics with the verve of a gospel preacher, and the tight horn interjections underscore the playfulness between the hip guitar licks and the melody. As the verses progress and the layers of instrumentation build, in a move that was akin to James Brown, Tex brings the whole ensemble down from a scream to a whisper in less than a measure. He scats and improvises the vocals with the seemingly off-the-cuff "I wanna see a woman out there who claims she's got a good man...show me" and "I want 'cha to show me two peoples that's in love with each other." He concludes each stanza with a Sam Cooke-esque and ultra mellow "yeah...," before the tune resolves the thumping cadence. For the last coda -- following the line "Let them lovers alone...yeah" -- he wraps up the number with another semi-spoken aside, stating "They doin' all right."

"Story Of The Blues"

Gary Moore

Written by Gary Moore.

A track from his 1992 album, "After Hours".

The single was released in May 1992. Its vinyl version was B-sided by "Movin' Down The Road"

It made #37 in the US Mainstream Charts, #40 in the UK and #99 in Germany.

It failed to chart in the US.

"I Wonder Why"

Dion & The Belmonts

Written by Melvin Anderson and Ricardo Weeks.

Recorded by Dion and the Belmonts and released on

May 5th, 1958. Its B-side was "Teen Angel".

The single made #22 on Billboard Hot 100 by April 1958.

Sung as a man who tells his lover that he doesn't know why he loves her.

A cover by Showaddywaddy made UK #2 in 1978. :elvis:

The Songfactor's Top 10 #381

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #380

1. Hollywood Swinging – Kool And The Gang (1974)

2. Walls Came Down, The – The Call (1983)

3. Tripping On A Hole In A Paper Heart – Stone Temple Pilots (1996)

4. Love You To Death – Type O Negative (1996)

5. Trouble – Little Feat (1972)

"Hollywood Swinging"

Kool And The Gang

Wrtten by Robert "Kool" Bell, Ronald Bell, George M. Brown, Robert Spike Mickens, Claydes E. Smith, Dennis R. Thomas & Rick A Westfield.

From their 1974 album, "Wild and Peaceful".

The single made #1 on the R&B charts by June, 1974. It was the first time they'd have a #1.

It also made #6 on the Billboard Hot 100.