The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

"You're No Good"

Betty Everett

Written by Clint Ballard Jr.

Here's the facts for Linda Ronstadt version.

First recorded by Dee Dee Warwick in 1963.

Betty Everett's version, released in November 1963 on Vee-Jay Records, B-sided by "Chained to Your Love" made #51 on Billboard Hot 100 and #5 on Cashbox's R&B chart.

Calvin Carter, Vee-Jay's A&R, recalls: "I found the song while visiting New York City in search of material for my label and I originally intended to cut "You're No Good" with Dee Clark, but when I went to rehearsal with the tune, it was so negative, I said, 'Hey, guys don't talk negative about girls, because girls are the record buyers. No, I better pass on that.' So I gave the song to Betty Everett. During the playback of Everett's track her label-mates, the Dells, were sitting on the wooden platform where the string players would sit... just stomping their feet on this wooden platform to the beat of the song as it was playing back... I told the engineer 'Let's do it again, and let's mike those foot sounds, 'cause it really gave it a hell of a beat.' So we did that, and boom, a hit."

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Train of Consequences by Megadeth.

This song is about drummer Nick Menza's gambling problem, as several lines in the lyrics are metaphors and references to gambling addiction.

This song features a harmonica by session member Jimmie Wood, who also played harmonica on the 5th track "Elysian Fields" from the same album: Youthanasia.

Train of Consequences peaked at #29 on the U.S. Rock chart and #22 in the U.K.

Train of Consequences by Megadeth.

This song is about drummer Nick Menza's gambling problem, as several lines in the lyrics are metaphors and references to gambling addiction.

This song features a harmonica by session member Jimmie Wood, who also played harmonica on the 5th track "Elysian Fields" from the same album: Youthanasia.

Train of Consequences peaked at #29 on the U.S. Rock chart and #22 in the U.K.

Written by Dave Mustaine.

A track of their 1994 album, "Youthanasia".

The single made #29 at the Mainstream US charts.

"Rock And Roll Is King"

E.L.O.

Written by Jeff Lynne

A track from their album "Secret Messages", from 1983.

The single, released in June 1983 in the UK and in the US, was B-sided by "After All".

The song went through many changes during recording and at one point was going to be called "Motor Factory" with a completely different set of lyrics.

It made #13 in th UK singles charts; also #19 on Billboard Hot 100, #19 on US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks and #36 on Billboard Adult Contemporary

US Cash Box Top 100 Singles 22

Edited by Guest

"Come Tomorrow"

Manfred Mann

Written by Bob Elgin, Frank Augustus, Dolores Phillips

A track of the US copy of their first album, "The Five Faces of Manfred Mann".

The single was released in 1965 and made #4 in the UK, #20 in Canada and #50 in the US charts.

"Come Tomorrow"

Manfred Mann

Written by Bob Elgin, Frank Augustus, Dolores Phillips

A track of the US copy of their first album, "The Five Faces of Manfred Mann".

The single was released in 1965 and made #4 in the UK, #20 in Canada and #50 in the US charts.

First recorded in 1961 by Marie Knight (June 1, 1925 – August 30, 2009), an American gospel and R&B singer.

The Songfactor's Top 10 #376

This week there is 6(six) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #376

1. I'm Crying – The Animals (1964)

2. Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues) – Three Dog Night (1974)

3. Satisfaction Guaranteed – The Firm (1985)

4. Around The Dial – The Kinks (1981)

5. Man Who Sold The World, The – Nirvana (1994)

6. Cemetery – Headstones (1994)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

Edited by Guest

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana

David Bowie said of Nirvana's cover: "I was simply blown away when I found that Kurt Cobain liked my work, and have always wanted to talk to him about his reasons for covering The Man Who Sold the World" and that "it was a good straight forward rendition and sounded somehow very honest. It would have been nice to have worked with him, but just talking with him would have been real cool". Bowie called Nirvana's cover "heartfelt," noting that "until this [cover], it hadn't occurred to me that I was part of America's musical landscape. I always felt my weight in Europe, but not in the US." In the wake of its release, Bowie bemoaned the fact that when he performed the number himself he would encounter "kids that come up afterwards and say, 'It's cool you're doing a Nirvana song.' And I think, 'F*** you, you little tosser!'"

Kurt Cobain considered David Bowie's album of the same name to be one of his all time favorites and an influence on his music. Nirvana regularly covered the David Bowie song during live sets after their memorable acoustic performance up until lead singer Cobain's death in 1994. In 2002 the song was re-released on Nirvana's "best of" compilation album Nirvana.

Charted #39 U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and #6 Modern Rock in 1995. Reached #18 on U.K. Rock chart in 2012.

information taken from Wikipedia

"I'm Crying"

The Animals

Written by Eric Burdon and Alan price.

First released as a single in September 1964, with "Take It Easy" as the B side.

In Febryary 1965 it was included in their second studio LP, "The Animals On Tour".

The song made #19 in the US lists and #8 in the UK singles chart.

"Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)"

Three Dog Night

Written by Allen Toussaint.

Covered by many artists.

Released in 1974 as a track of their album "Hard Labour".

The single was the third release from the album and it made #33 on Billboard Hot 100.

"Satisfaction Guaranteed"

The Firm

Written by Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers.

The Firm was a supergroup formed by Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers, Chris Slade and Tony Franklin.

Page and Rodgers originally wanted former Yes drummer Bill Bruford and fretless bassist Pino Palladino in the group

The song is a track of their album "The Firm", the first of their two LPs.

Also released as a single, it made #73 in the US lists.

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana

David Bowie said of Nirvana's cover: "I was simply blown away when I found that Kurt Cobain liked my work, and have always wanted to talk to him about his reasons for covering The Man Who Sold the World" and that "it was a good straight forward rendition and sounded somehow very honest. It would have been nice to have worked with him, but just talking with him would have been real cool". Bowie called Nirvana's cover "heartfelt," noting that "until this [cover], it hadn't occurred to me that I was part of America's musical landscape. I always felt my weight in Europe, but not in the US." In the wake of its release, Bowie bemoaned the fact that when he performed the number himself he would encounter "kids that come up afterwards and say, 'It's cool you're doing a Nirvana song.' And I think, 'F*** you, you little tosser!'"

Kurt Cobain considered David Bowie's album of the same name to be one of his all time favorites and an influence on his music. Nirvana regularly covered the David Bowie song during live sets after their memorable acoustic performance up until lead singer Cobain's death in 1994. In 2002 the song was re-released on Nirvana's "best of" compilation album Nirvana.

Charted #39 U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and #6 Modern Rock in 1995. Reached #18 on U.K. Rock chart in 2012.

information taken from Wikipedia

Bowie's own version wasn't released as a single in the UK until 29/06/73, as the flip of the (then-also old) Life On Mars?, making #3 :pianist:

"Cemetery"

Headstones

Written by Hugh Dillon.

The last track of their album "Picture of Health", released in June 1rst 1993.

It was released as the second single from the album but it didn't chart.

The music video for the "Cemetery" track is featured on the Canadian DVD release of the movie Hard Core Logo, starring Hugh Dillon and was also featured on the Canadian VHS release of Dance Me Outside, also starring Hugh Dillon.

Edited by Guest

The Songfactor's Top 10 #377

This week there is 7(seven) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #377

1. Shine On Brightly – Procol Harum (1968)

2. She's My Baby – Dave Edmunds (1975)

3. Ride On – AC/DC (1977)

4. Let The Day Begin – Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (2013)

5. Until I Fall Away – Gin Blossoms (1992)

6. Bad Reputation – Freedy Johnston (1994)

7. Come On Let's Go – The McCoys (1966)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

Edited by Guest

"Shine On Brightly"

Procol Harum

Written by Brooker, Fisher and Reid.

A track from their second album, "Shine On Brightly", released in 1968, though the version is different in its US release.

It was n't released as a single.

Cut from the same cloth as the mega-smash single "Whiter Shade of Pale" and the respectable "Conquistador," "Shine on Brightly" speaks of a trippy "befuddled brain" that "shines on brightly, quite insane." In three verses, a world of confusion is depicted: alarm clocks that don't stop ringing; searching for roads that lead nowhere and signs that aren't there; spinning chandeliers and references to the three wisemen and "fat old Buddhas" who envy the befuddled one. It's a crazy world without explanations, and despite the spin of the Ferris wheel and advice of a eunuch, the singer's voice is choked, yet the brain continues to shine on brightly – insanity seen as a sort of liberation from the realm of meaning. Robin Trower's suitably crazy, shrieking lead guitar riff wails with freaky brilliance, playing off Gary Brooker's plucky 'pomp and circumstance' piano stride and David Knights' contrapuntal bass. A fine classically minded organ interlude by Matthew Fisher evokes whiter shades of pale. In toto, it's an oddly successful blend of allusive Dylanesque lyrics, psychedlic acid rock, and regal British progrock, and looking back, probably should have been released as a single.

"Let The Day Begin"

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Written by Michael Been

Originally by The Call.

Here's the facts for the song, its orignal version and the cover by BRMC.

A track from their seventh's album,"Specter at the Feast" released on March 18th 2013.

It was the first single from the album and it was posted for free download on their official web. They also released the EP with the song "Returning", available for free streaming on their website.