• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You"

via Wikipedia:

In the liner notes of Heart's album The Road Home, Ann Wilson commented on the band's dislike for the song, stating, "Actually we had sworn off it because it kind of stood for everything we wanted to get away from. It was a song by "Mutt" Lange, who we liked, and it was originally written for Don Henley, but there was a lot of pressure on us to do the song at the time."[

Single by Heart from their 1990 album Brigade

It was released with "Call of the Wild" and

"Cruel Tears" as the B-side in March 14 of the same year.

It made #2 on Billboard Hot 100, #6 on Billboard Adult Contemporary Tracks and #2 on

Billboard Maintstream Rock Tracks.

It also made #1 in Canada and Australia and was a hit in Europe and Japan.

Edited by Guest

"She's My Baby"

The Travelling Wilburys

Credited to The Travelling Wilburus.

A single released in October 1990,

B-sided by"New Blue Moon" (instrumental)and "Runaway".

A track from their album "Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3"

Gary Moore plays lead guitar on this song.

released in October 1990

The Songfactor's Top 10 #367

This week there is 6(six) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #367

1. Whiskey Man – Molly Hatchet (1979)

2. Say You Love Me – Fleetwood Mac (1976)

3. If I Had $1,000,000 – Barenaked Ladies (1992)

4. White Lies – Grin (1971)

5. Locked Out of Heaven – Bruno Mars (2012)

6. Horizontal Bop, The – Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band (1980)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

Edited by Guest

"Say You Love Me"

Fleetwood Mac

Written by Christine McVie.

A track of their 1975 album "Fleetwood Mac".

The single was released in September 1976 in the UK and in June 1976 in the US.

B-sided by "Monday Morning".

It made #11 on the Billboard Hot 100, #12 on Billboard’s Adult Contemporary Top 100 and #44 in the UK charts.

Christine wrote this song after her fifth year in the band and during the writing of “Say You Love Me”, Christine McVie was married to John McVie bassist of Fleetwood Mac. It can be inferred by the fact that they were married at the time that she wrote the song that the song was written about him. This song was the only song where John McVie has ever sung for part of a song

"If I Had $1,000,000"

Barenaked Ladies

Written by Steven Page and Ed Robertson.

It first appeared on their first independent release, Buck Naked, then on their second and third tapes, "Barenaked Lunch",also on "The Yellow Tape" and in 1991 on an EP.

It was finally released as a track from their 1992 album "Gordon".

The song was well known before it became a single, released in 1993 in the UK and also in 1996.

If I Had $1000000 is one of the earliest-composed Barenaked Ladies songs. It was first conceived as a simple improvised song while Page and Robertson were counsellors at a summer music camp. On the way home from camp, Robertson played the tune for the campers, randomly listing amusing things he would buy with a million dollars. Upon returning to camp, he brought the idea to Page, and the two fleshed out the song. The song has become an icon of Canadian culture, reflecting sentiments on Canadians who wish to win a large lottery prize...

While hinting at romantic intentions, the lyrics offer very oddball ideas about eccentric purchases one would make with a million dollars. The protagonist suggests all the things he would buy for his sweetheart were he a millionaire. Ed Robertson and Steven Page share the vocals: in the verses, it is a call-and-response vocal with Page responding to the lines Robertson starts; in the choruses, Robertson and the rest of the band repeat the harmonized title line while Page responds to the line with further spending ideas

Locked Out of Heaven"

Bruno Mars

Written by Bruno Mars,Philip Lawrence and Ari Levine.

A track from their 2012 album "Unorthodox Jukebox".

The single was released on the First of October 1012, as the main single of the album. Mark Ronson and Jeff Bhasker are among the producers.

Jeff Bhasker, in an interview to American Songwriter, explined how they came up with the song “That song came in the middle of the process of putting together the album,” he explains of the hit’s roots. “We were just having a jam session, tracking some things, and Bruno started playing this groove and making up something on the spot; we all thought it was pretty good. We wound up working a long time on that, trying to get it just right.”

It charted mostly worlwide and made #1 on US Billboard Hot 100 and #1 on the US Mainstream Top 40.

I know there's a lot more about this song to tell. If any of you feel like doing it, thank you. I just don't have the time to rewrite it all in my own words. It's a busy week...

"The Horizontal Bop"

Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band

Written by Bob Seger.

A track from his 1980 album, "Against The Wind".

Dr. John plays keyboards.

"The Horizontal Bop" was released as a single, B-sided dy "Her Strut" and made #42 on the Pop Singles chart.

The Songfactor's Top 10 #368

This week there is 6(six) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #368

1. Angel From Montgomery – Bonnie Raitt (1974)

2. A Man I'll Never Be – Boston (1978)

3. Willin' – Linda Ronstadt (1974)

4. First I Look At The Purse – J. Geils Band (1970)

5. Boys – The Shirelles (1960)

6. Foolish Games – Jewel (1997)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

"Angel From Montgomery"

Bonnie Raitt

Written by John prine in 1971.

Bonnie Raitt included her version on her 1974 LP "Streetlights".

"I think 'Angel from Montgomery' probably has meant more to my fans and my body of work than any other song, and it will historically be considered one of the most important ones I've ever recorded. It's just such a tender way of expressing that sentiment of longing - like 'Hello In There' - without being maudlin or obvious. It has all the different shadings of love and regret and longing. It's a perfect expression from [a] wonderful genius."

"A Man I'll Never Be"

Boston

Written by Tom Scholz.

A track from Boston's LP "Don't Look Back", from 1978.

The single was released with "Don't Be Afraid" as the B-side in 1979.

It made #31 on Billboard Hot 100 and #27 on the Canadian charts.

"...the song reveals a reflective side that was nowhere to be found on Boston."

"religious feel", "the softest cut on the album", "it may well be a strong single", "moody organ solo", "ponderous ballad sound."

Rolling Stone critic Ken Emerson compared "A Man I'll Never Be" to Led Zeppelin's lengthy classic song "Stairway to Heaven."

Los Angeles Times critic Jon Matsumoto called the song "a grandiose guilty pleasure.

"Willin'"

Linda Ronstadt

Written by Lowell George.

A track from Her album "Heart Like A Wheel", from 1974, November.

I wasn't released as a single.

There are two versions about Lowell George being fired from Zappa's band (and founding Little Feat) that imply this song.

Lowell George showed Zappa his song "Willin'," and that Zappa fired him from the Mothers of Invention, because he felt that George was too talented to merely be a member of his band, and told him he ought to go away and form his own band... Zappa fired him because "Willin'" contains drug references ("weed, whites and wine"). George often introduced the song as the reason he was asked to leave the band. On Oct 18, 1975 at the Auditorium Theater in Rochester New York while introducing the song, George commented that he was asked to leave the band for "writing a song about dope".

"First I Look At The Purse"

J. Geils Band

Written by Smokey Robinson and Bobby Rogers.

The first version was by The Contours, in 1965.

A track of the J.Geils Band's self-titled debut album, from November 1970.

A live version from 1971 was released both as a track of "Full House", their live album from 1972, and as a single, B-sided by "Homework (Ain't Gonna Do It Baby)"

A comical story about a man who didn't care how ugly the girl he dated was, "as long she got some cash"...

"Boys"

The Shirelles

Written by Luther Dixon and Wes Farrell.

The Shirelles recorded the first version and it was released as a single in November, 1960.

It was the B-side of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow".

It was also a track of their first album, "Tonight's The Night", released in March 1961.

The Beatles covered the song in 1963 (in their first album)

" Foolish Games"

Jewel

Written by Jewel Kilcher.

A track of her debut album, "Pieces of You", recorded in 1994 and released in in February 28th, 1995.

Also a track of the Bataman and Robin motion picture soundtrack.

The single was released in July 1997 and it was the fourth single from the album.

The version for the soundtrack single was recorded again.

It made #2 on Billboard Hot 100, #4 on US Adult Contemporary and #1 on US Mainstream Top 40

and US Adult Top 40.

Also #15 on Billboard's All Time Top 100 and Jewel was nominated for a Grammy as Best Vocal Performer.

It was on the Guiness Book of Records for awhile as it kept 65 weeks on the charts.

The Songfactor's Top 10 #369

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #369

1. Sweet Mary – Wadsworth Mansion (1971)

2. Almost Honest – Megadeth (1997)

3. Free Fallin' – John Mayer (2009)

4. Lights Out – Peter Wolf (1984)

5. Vahevela – Loggins & Messina (1971)

"Sweet Mary"

Wadsworth Mansion

Written by Steve Jablecki

The first single of the band, released in November 1970 B-sided by "What's On Tonight".

It made#7 on Billboard Hot 100 singles chart for almost four months.

It was included in their first and only LP, "Wadsworth Mansion", released in 1971, though the version is slower.

It's a one hit wonder.

"Free Fallin'"

John Mayer

Written by Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne.

Originally recorded by Tom Petty in 1989 on his "Full Fever" solo album.

John Mayer played the song acoustic in his L.A. concert in December 2007. The song was included in his live album "Where The Light Is", released in July 2008.

It was also released as a single and had good reviews by the critics.

"Boys"

The Shirelles

Written by Luther Dixon and Wes Farrell.

The Shirelles recorded the first version and it was released as a single in November, 1960.

It was the B-side of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow".

It was also a track of their first album, "Tonight's The Night", released in March 1961.

The Beatles covered the song in 1963 (in their first album)

Bill Hicks: The Beatles were so high they even let Ringo sing a coupla numbers!

This was one of them... :drummer:

The Songfactor's Top 10 #369

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #369

4. Lights Out – Peter Wolf (1984)

Released in the Yook on the EMI America label - did not chart. ;)