The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

"If This Is It"

Huey Lewis & The News

Written by Johnny Colla and Huey Lewis.

A track from their 1983 album "Sports".

The single was released B-sided by "Change of Heart" on July 10th 1984.

It made #6 on Billboard Hot 100, #5 on

Billboard Adult Contemporary and #19 on

Billboard Top Rock Tracks.

It charted at #39 UK Singles List, being their first hit there.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Cuddly Toy"

Harry Nillson

Written by Harry Nilssonn.

A track from his second album, "Pandemonium Shadow Show", released in December 1967.

...the lyrics of "Cuddly Toy" are as unsettling as the melody catchy

I was covered by The Monkees on their album "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.", released in November 1967. The Monkees and Nilsson had met through their producer and became friends.

"Turn Back the Hands of Time"

yrone Davis

Written by Jack Daniels and Bonnie Thompson

From their 1970 album "The Hands of Time".

The single was released in February 1970 B-sided by "I Keep Coming Back".

It made #1 in the R&B charts and #3 on the Pop charts. It sold over one million copies.

At an early point in his career, Tyrone Davis was singing in a gruff blues shouter vein. Listen to his mid-'60s sides for Chicago-based 4 Brothers label; the vocal style is the antithesis of the soft stylings that would characterize the singer's biggest hits. Songwriter/4 Brothers co-owner Jack Daniels was discussing Davis with Barry Despenza, the co-writer of Davis' first big national hit, "Can I Change My Mind." Despenza passed along advice from DJ Big Bill Hill of local station WOPA. Hill said Davis was singing too hard and imitating the style of other R&B singers. Daniels and his partner Johnny Moore spent some learning time with Philly talents songwriters/arrangers Thom Bell and Bobby Martin. Daniels and Moore wrote "Turn Back the Hands of Time" based on the relationship problems Daniels was having at the time. They shopped the song to Davis' producer Carl Davis. The singer was signed to the producer's Dakar label. After approving the song, the producer passed it along to arrangers Tom Washington and Willie Henderson. The session for "Turn Back the Hands of Time" included many of the same musicians on "Can I Change My Mind": drummer Quinton Joseph, guitarist Carl Woolfolk, pianist Floyd Morris, and background vocals by Barbara Acklin and Chi-Lites members Eugene Record and Robert "Squirrel" Lester.

The Songfactor's Top 10 #357

This week there is 6(six) songs needing facts.

1. Turn Down Day – The Cyrkle (1966)

2. Blowin' In The Wind – Peter, Paul and Mary (1963)

3. Wait – White Lion (1987)

4. Coney Island Baby – Lou Reed (1975)

5. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) – Dave Davies (2006)

6. Someday Soon – Judy Collins (1969)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"Turn Down Day"

The Cyrkle

Written by Dave Blume and Jerry Keller

Released as a single in 1966 B-sided by "Big, Little Woman". It was their second single and it made the Top 20.

Also a track of their album "Red Rubber Ball".

One simply must love the electric sitar, that distinctively twangy and piercing instrument that colored a few hit singles in the late '60s and early '70s (the Box Tops' "Cry Like A Baby" and B.J. Thomas' "Hooked On A Feeling" the best known) and then all but entirely disappeared. The Cyrkle's sprightly "Turn Down Day" was one of the earliest singles to feature this odd hybrid, which when complemented by the ricky-ticky piano part (which sounds like it was recorded at half-speed and then sped up) gives this ode to summer languor a memorably peculiar sound that many similar tunes lack. The close harmonies of Tom Dawes and Don Danneman sound so similar that at times the vocals sound like one double-tracked voice, possibly an artifact of producer John Simon's contemporaneous work with Simon and Garfunkel. For a band from Pennsylvania, "Turn Down Day" has a distinctively Californian sound, making it an early example of what would later be called sunshine pop.

...occasionally using mild touches of experimentation, like the sitar on "Turn-Down Day"...

"Wait"

White Lion

Written by Mike Tramp and Vito Bratta

A track of their album "Pride", from 1987.

The single, released on June 1st 1967 is B-sided by "Don't Give Up".

Known by its guitar solo, the single charted in February 1988. It made#8 in the US charts, #48 in Canada and #88 in the UK.

"Coney Island Baby"

Lou Reed

Written by Lou Reed.

The last track of his album, "Coney Island Baby", recorded in ten days in October 1975 and released by December the same year.

According wikipedia, the name presumably refers to the Excellents' 1962 doo wop song of the same name, and/or a 1924 Les Appleton barbershop music song of the same name.

"Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)"

Dave Davies

Written by George harrison.

Dave Davies recorded his version for "Songs From the Material World: A Tribute to George Harrison", a cmpilation album released in 2003.

In 2006 it was included in his album "Kinked".

Blowin' in the Wind

Peter, Paul and Mary

Originally written by Bob Dylan, it appears on his album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan released in 1963. Peter, Paul and Mary released their cover of the song three weeks after Bob Dylan's album was released. It's the title track of their third album, and peaked at #2 on the Billboard charts, becoming the most successful version of the song. It also went to #1 on the Middle-Road charts for five weeks.

Information taken from Wikipedia // Blowin' in the Wind

Someday Soon

Judy Collins

Originally written by Canadian singer-songwriter Ian Tyson, he recorded it with his wife Sylvia in 1964. His version was never released as a single, though in 1969, Judy Collins covered it for her album Who Knows Where The Time Goes. It spent six weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 and peaked at #55. In Canada, it reached #37 on the Top Singles Chart, published by RPM.

Information taken from Wikipedia // Someday Soon

Blowin' in the Wind

Peter, Paul and Mary

Originally written by Bob Dylan, it appears on his album The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan released in 1963. Peter, Paul and Mary released their cover of the song three weeks after Bob Dylan's album was released. It's the title track of their third album, and peaked at #2 on the Billboard charts, becoming the most successful version of the song. It also went to #1 on the Middle-Road charts for five weeks.

Information taken from Wikipedia // Blowin' in the Wind

It was released in the UK on 12th July 1963 and reached #13. It was also the lead track of the Peter, Paul And Mary EP, released in October of that year. :)

The Songfactor's Top 10 #358

This week there is 4(four) songs needing facts.

1. Golden Country – REO Speedwagon (1972)

2. Fallen Angel – Poison (1988)

3. How You Gonna See Me Now – Alice Cooper (1978)

4. If You See Kay – April Wine (1982)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

"Fallen Angel"

Poison

Written by Dall, Deville, Michaels and Rockett.

A track from their second studio album "Open Up and Say... Ahh!", released in May 1988.

The single was released in July 1988, B-sided by "Bad to Be Good". It was the second single from the album.

It made #12 on Billboard Hot 100 and #32 on the Mainstream rock tracks in the US and #59 on the UK Singles chart.

The song is about a young girl who grew up in a small town and goes to Los Angeles to try to make it as an actress. While there, she abandons her old life...

This theme is a reference to the history of the band Poison itself: Bret Michaels, Bobby Dall and Rikki Rockett all left their native Pennsylvania for Los Angeles in their quest of fame.

The Songfactor's Top 10 #358

This week there is 4(four) songs needing facts.

3. How You Gonna See Me Now – Alice Cooper (1978)

Edited by Guest

SFC Personal Top 10 Special: Close Calls

This week there is 7(seven) songs needing facts.

1. Eyes Of A Stranger – Queensrÿche

2. Wild Child – W.A.S.P.

3. Count On Me – Jefferson Starship

4. Say You, Say Me – Lionel Richie

5. Bummer In The Summer – Love

6. Younger Generation – John Sebastian

7. Hell In A Bucket – Grateful Dead

SFC Personal Top 10 Special: Close Calls

This week there is 7(inches of) songs needing facts.

3. Count On Me – Jefferson Starship

Eyes Of A Stranger - Queensryche

"Eyes of a Stranger" is the final track of the 1988 concept album "Operation Mindcrime". It summarizes the story behind the album as it sets back to the very beginning where the protagonist character Nikki was secluded at the hospital before retracing the story's events that occurred throughout the album. While summoning the events that provoked his lunacy, he looks at his own reflection in the truthful mirror, starring into the eyes of a stranger; he doesn’t recognize himself anymore. He’s trivialized by the entire episode, grieving for himself, trying to make amends to relieve the situation. The closing recalls passages from the preceding highlights throughout the album.

- (my own summarization of the song, that I've posted on this site a few times in the past, including the "Albums to hear before you die" thread)

This song has been performed in concert by the band Queensryche well over 600 times as of 2013, which makes it the 3rd most performed song of theirs. It's recorded in the key of E minor with a short interlude in F# minor near the beginning.

- (Wikipedia)

Reached #35 on the US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks charts and #59 on the UK singles charts in 1988.

"Say You, Say Me"

Lionel Richie

Written by Lionel Richie.

From his album "Dancing on the Ceiling", released in July 1985.

The single was released in October 1985, B-sidde by "Can't Slow Down".

It was the song for the film "White Nights" (starring Mikhail Baryshnikov and Gregory Hines) and it won an Oscar, reaching #1 on Billboard Hot 100 by November 1985. Aldo made #1 in the R&B singles charts in December and also #1 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary.

The song wasn't included in the soundtrack album due to Motown's refusal to have its song on another label.

The song also won an Academy Award and a Golden Globe Award, both for the Best Original Song.