The Songfactor's Choice Top Ten Facts

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New Moon On Monday - Duran Duran

The second single to be lifted from the band's 1983 album Seven and the Ragged Tiger, the song was another success, reaching the Top 10 on both the British and American music charts. On 11 February 1984, the single reached #9 on the UK Singles Chart and on 17 March, it reached #10 on the Billboard Hot 100, after entering on 14 January 1984 at #56.

The music video for "New Moon on Monday" was filmed by director Brian Grant during the icy first week of January 1984, in the village of Noyers in France. It has a loosely sketched storyline in which the band appear as members of an underground rebellion called "La Luna" (the name is one of the few connections between the video's content and the song lyrics), organizing a revolt against a modern (1980s-era computers are used) oppressive militaristic regime, apparently in France.

"We set out to make a little movie", recalled Grant. "I'm not sure we succeeded." He was not the first choice to shoot the video, as Russell Mulcahy, director of many of the band's other videos, was unavailable. There is a 17 minute version of the video with a lengthy introduction.

Both Andy Taylor and Nick Rhodes say this is the band's least favourite video. "Everybody ... hates it, particularly the dreadful scene at the end where we all dance together", Taylor wrote in his memoirs. "Even today, I cringe and leave the room if anyone plays [it]." He recalls that they were miserable since their Christmas holiday had been cut short to shoot the video, and spent most of the day on the dark and cold set drinking, to the point that he was "half cut" by the time the last scenes were shot. "It's one of the few times I've seen Nick dance."

Taken from Wikipedia

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #390

This week there is 7(seven) songs needing facts.

Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #390

1. Wilbury Twist – Traveling Wilburys (1990)

2. Wayward Child – Rory Gallagher (1979)

3. I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night) – The Electric Prunes (1966)

4. Sookie Sookie – Steppenwolf (1968)

5. Hole In My Shoe – Traffic (1967)

6. Bathroom Wall – Faster Pussycat (1987)

7. Baby It's You – Smith (1969)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"Wilbury Twist is the final track on their 1990 studio album Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3. The song was also released in March 1991 as the second single from that album.

The original music video featured cameos from many contemporary celebrities. The DVD video in the 2007 re-release set, The Traveling Wilburys Collection, retains only a few introductory shots of John Candy and Eric Idle, otherwise simply showing the band members performing the song."

(wiki)

Edited by Guest

"Bathroom Wall is a song taken from Faster Pussycat's first album Faster Pussycat released in 1987. Like much of the band's material from the album, it has a comedy side and deals with graffiti left on a bathroom stall wall that Taime Downe saw backstage at a gig the band were playing prior to getting signed." (wiki)

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #390

This week there is 7(seven) songs needing facts.

Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #390

3. I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night) – The Electric Prunes (1966)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

This (written by Annette Tucker & Nancie Manz) was released in the UK in January 1967 and reached #49. It was backed with Luvin (composed by Jim Lowe & Mark Tulin) on the Reprise label.

It was re-released, with the same flip, on 30/07/79, on the Radar label but did not chart. :bow:

Edited by Guest
A bit of tarting up

The Electric Prunes were a mid 60s psychedelic acid/garage rock band from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, California. They were well known for their offbeat and unique hard-rocking sound which made inventive and extensive use of echo, reverb, and other kinds of quirky sonic distortion. The group first formed in 1965.

I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)was the band's biggest hit, released as a single in 1966 and reached #11 in the U.S. in 1967.

You're welcome Dear Edna. Keep up the good work. :)

Smith was an American Pop/Rock group, formed in Los Angeles in 1969 with Gayle McCormick on vocals. They made U.S. # 5 that year (didn't chart U.K.) with a cover of the Bacharach/David song Baby It's You, originally a Top Ten hit for The Shirelles.

Hole In My Shoe - Traffic. There's lots of info about Traffic on Wiki of course. This song was their biggest Hit in the U.K. at #2 in 1967 but didn't chart in the U.S. Composed by their guitarist Dave Mason, it wasn't liked by the other 3 band members, Stevie Winwood, Chris Wood and Jim Capaldi. Covered by Nigel Planer (Neil in 'The Young Ones' British TV comedy - a favourite in our household) his version also reached #2 in 1984.

" Wayward Child"

Rory Gallagher

Written by Rory Gallagher.

A track of his 8th album, "Top Priority" from 1979.

The single was released in 1980 B-suded by "Keychain".

It first appeared on his 1972 live album "Live! In Europe".

"Sookie Sookie"

Steppenwolf

Written by Don Covay, Steve Cropper

A track of their first album from January 1968.

It was also the fourth single released from the album, B-sided by "Take What You Need".

It had a lot of airplay, yet it didn't chart.

"Hole In My Shoe"

Traffic

Written by Dave Mason.

It was their second single, released in August 1967 with "Smiling Phases" as the B-side.

It wasn't included in an album, except as a bonus track on the CD edition of their first LP.

It made #2 in the UK clarts and #22 in germany.

The other members of the band didn't like the song: it wasn't "Traffic" enough.

The brief monologue, over the mellotron passage, is spoken by Chris Blackwell's stepdaughter Francine Heimann.

• 2 weeks later...

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #391

This week there is 9(nine) songs needing facts.

Songfactors Choice Top 10 #391

1. Too Good To Be True – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (1991)

2. Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance – The Mothers Of Invention (1968)

3. Medicine Man – Johnny Winter (1991)

4. Quicksand Jesus – Skid Row (1991)

5. Good Rockin' Tonight – Montrose (1973)

6. Easy Livin' – Fastway (1983)

7. Rock N Roll Hootchie Koo – Johnny Winter (1974)

8. Don't Damn Me – Guns N' Roses (1991)

9. California Girls – David Lee Roth (1985)

"Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance" – The Mothers Of Invention (1968)

Written by Frank Zappa.

From "We're Only In It For The Money", their album from 1968. It has been previously recorded by Zappa in 1961.

it's an instrumental song with a chorus. There are versions with lyrics but this one is the first one.

"Easy Livin'" - Fastway

A single, composed by the band, from their 1983 self-titled debut album.

It peaked at #32 in 1983 on the U.S. Billboard Top Tracks chart (now known as Mainstream Rock Songs chart).

It did not chart on the U.S. Hot 100 chart or the UK Singles chart.

California Girls - David Lee Roth

"California Girls" was a Beach Boys song covered by David Lee Roth on his 1985 EP Crazy from the Heat (with background vocals contributed by Beach Boy Carl Wilson along with Christopher Cross), and like the original it topped at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The iconic music video for the cover, directed by Pete Angelus and Roth, was released in February 1985.[8] Roth stars as a tour guide, showing tourists the beach and swimsuit models. One of tourists is played by Jane Leeves, who went on to play Frasier's Daphne Moon. The female bodybuilder featured in the video is Roth's personal fitness trainer, Kay Baxter.

-Wikipedia-

Hope this helps

Don't Damn Me by Guns N Roses

"Don't Damn Me" is the 13th track on the album, and is the only song from the album that's never been played live.

Use Your Illusion I is the third studio album by the American rock band Guns N' Roses. It was the first of two albums released in conjunction with the Use Your Illusion Tour, the other being Use Your Illusion II. The two are thus sometimes considered a double album - in fact both were double albums consisting of 2 vinyl records each (Warman's Records Field Guide)

-Wiki-