RIP Buck Owens

phil

Country great Buck Owens died today. He was a leader of the "Bakersfield" sound which also included Merle Haggard. Owens wrote the song Act Naturally, which was recorded by the Beatles. He also was on the irreverant TV show Hee-Haw, which ran for many years.

I met Buck Owens when I was about 13. He was a nice man. About 3 years ago, when I visited my Dad in Bakersfield, I saw him perform. He owned The Crystal Palace in Bakersfield, a place for stars, and wanna be stars to perform. His voice was pretty well gone, but he could still play the geetar!! :) He was responsible for "The Bakersfield Sound", a pretty big movement in country music. According to him, he didn't play country music, he played American music. I like that.

It's funny, the things that can effect you. This announcement has brought back all kinds of memories, from a time when my life was good. I had a couple years there that I spent with my dad. Those years were full of Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, George Jones and old Hank Williams.

Owens did play a red white and blue guitar. Bob Dylan, Graham Parsons and EmmyLou Harris were friends of his. John Lennon, and the rest of the Beatles were fascinated by him and his music.

I sort of feel the old country greats like these never really get the due they deserve.

Everyone raise your glass of beer and sing, loud...

Down here on the farm, the weather gets messy, layin around with nothin' ta do. When you went away, you took my cow Bessie, I miss her, Darlin', more than I miss you...

You took off your leg, your wig and your eyeglass, and you should have seen, the look on my face.. I wanted to kiss, I wanted to hug you, but you were scattered, all over the place

(All of you sing, you know the words!)

Where, O where, are you tonight? Why did you leave, me here all alone? I searched the world over and I thought I found true love, you met another and PHHHHHHT! you were gone!

I know that you love me here's my way of knowin', the proof's hangin' out, right there on the line. When I see the snow, and hear the wind blowin', your nightie's huggin' them long johns of mine...

The noises you made, at our supper table, your habit's my dear, were surely absurd.. But how many times, do I have to tell you, soup is a dish to be seen and not heard...

Where, O where, are you tonight? Why did you leave, me here all alone? I searched the world over and I thought I found true love, you met another and PHHHHHHT! you were gone!

Remember you phoned me, a sobbin' and cryin', the dog bit your Ma, then drug her around. You said she was pale, and thought she was dyin, I said don't worry, I'll buy a new hound.

I had 6 kids , and you had eleven, and we had eight more, and they grew like flowers. I wish you'd come back, without you ain't heaven, 'cause your kids and my kids, are beating up ours....

I searched the world over and thought I found true love, you met another and PHHHHHHHHHHHHT!...

You were gooooooooooone......

Now, that's just a great song......

Ken.

You know, I never have had much desire for country music, and I really didn't think much of Hee Haw when my dad would watch it back in the seventies.

But I must admit, watching good ol' Roy and Buck pickin' and a grinin' together, laughing together and havin' such a great time entertaining... sure did make me smile.

He was a very talented man, left quite a legacy!

RIP Buck.