Lost SPOILER Thread!

Elvish

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the greatest episodes ever, definitely the best "next week on Lost" ad ever. The juxtaposition of Lost and Willy Wonka/Gene Wilder trippiness made my brain tear itself into pieces.

One quibble, I'm not sure how I feel about them tossing off an explanation to a mystery that's been out there since season 1. It seemed too easy, and it also seemed to go against when Ben said "If you hear whispers in the jungle, run the other way" to Rousseau. Other than that, awesomeness all around. When Ilana went BOOM, it was basically the moment the writers said "Alright, s**t just got real".

If I had to choose I'd have to go with theory No. 2 on Desmond's little hit and run. And, yeah, the explanation for the whispers was a bit of a letdown, but perhaps it was a red herring of sorts; there could be more to it.

Otherwise supremely kick-butt, twist-packed (even by Lost standards) episode, which drew from me a record four audible "what the hell"'s, one of which was for that preview. Awesome. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'd tell you what I thought of this episode, but I'm too busy trying to stop crying.

Lizard....that was damaging to the emotions, wasn't it? I thought there would be some last minute hope but alas, it was not to happen. The director shot the definitive scene brilliantly.

After the sinking, Jack was in the hospital and Jin walked by him carrying flowers. He is still alive in the altered world.

Ok, so the way the Peach schedule falls, we can't watch it on Tuesday nights when it comes on. We've been watching it when we get off work on Wednesdays, but it just so happened that we were both home at lunch and watched it. That is entirely too much to deal with at 12:30 in the afternoon. I'm now at work and still crying like a lunatic. I swear, my co-workers are going to have me committed. I'm like a damned crazy person.

The last scene with Jin and Sun was so heart wrenchingly and achingly beautiful that I don't have enough words to describe my emotions.

I know, right? Damn, they explained so much yet still left so much more unanswered. And that's fine by me. It wouldn't be right if they just tied everything up in a shiny red bow and said, "Here, mother lovers."

TimLizzy, I threw my hand up in the air in honor of you when they played "The End" for the upcoming previews.

That made me so, so, so happy.

So do you think this means smokey isn't brother and is just using brother's body? Or he is brother and was just corrupted like Sayid was? I bet we don't get a definite answer to that. I'm just amazed that we actually got an answer to Adam and Eve. And that it really does look like the writers had a blueprint for the whole story from the beginning.

I thought it was Smokey using the brother's body, but then again I'm somehow always wrong when it comes to this freaking show. I'm still halfway convinced that Jack and Kate are brother and sister. Logic be damned.

Speaking of the brother, why is it so important that he not have a name? I mean, obviously they are making a point of it, but why?

I think that's another clue that smokey isn't actually the brother. The brother is not important enough to have a name. His two main purposes ended up being freeing/carrying smokey and building the frozen donkey wheel. But again, that's just a theory. Other things that smoke-Locke have said indicate that smokey is the brother. So I don't know what to think.

I also wonder how the "mother" is so powerful that she could massacre an entire village herself.

I think that when Jacob threw his brother into the light cave he became the smoke monster; that was the "worse than death" thing his mother talked about. The monster than had to wait in smoke form until it found (another) dead body to inhabit (present-day Locke).

And I would have to say the brother is quite important since a part of the island's events seem to center around the struggle between him and Jacob symbolized by the game they played as children (and played out on a larger scale throughout the series), with Jacob (good; the white pieces) trying to stay and protect it and his brother ( evil; the black pieces) trying to use it for his own ends namely to escape.

The first time I saw the two of them together I thought of the story of Jacob and Esau in the Old Testament, the twin (though generally opposite) sons of Isaac and grandsons of Abraham. In the story Jacob, with his mother's help, steals his brother's birthright and they become violent enemies for a long time.

I'm still unsure about who "Mother" is and how she became so powerful and knowledgable about the island (unless she too is some kind of smoke monster-type being?), but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

A hilarious excerpt from a very funny recap of the episode by my favorite bloggers, Tom and Lorenzo.

"*The "heart of the island," and the apparent source of all the energy and all the weirdness and all the interest in the island by Bad People who want to do Bad Things is... a glowing vagina. Jesus Christ. Oh, for the Lost of underground bunkers and 30-year-old computers and poison gas and freighters. After 5 seasons of characters with Daddy issues, it's a bit of an abrupt shift into all the heavily Freudian mommy stuff all of the sudden. We're sorry to say that the magical glowing vagina made us groan out loud the first time we saw it. We half expected Frodo and Sam to ride in on a My Pretty Pony to save the day."

New thought: In the episode, Jacob tries to move one of his white game pieces sideways and MiB says "you can't do that". Jacob replies "well, one day I'll make the rules". So, since the main characters are basically just pawns in the battle between Smokey and MiB, perhaps the sidewaysverse is Jacob's way of ensuring the survival of his "pieces", the candidates.