Fantasy Baseball Season 2 : The Revenge

Kevin

As the first game is coming up this Sunday (APR.2-be sure to get your White Sox and Indian players in if you want them to score for you that day ) , these are the scoring categories and points I've come up with so far to try to strike something of a balance between pitching and hitting .

Comments ?

Commissioner Tools Index

Point Modifiers

Batters

Runs

=1

Singles

=0.5

Doubles

=1

Triples

=2

Home Runs

=3

Runs Batted In

=1

Stolen Bases

=2

Walks

=0.5

Errors

=-1

Pitchers

Wins

=5

Complete Games

=5

Shutouts

=10

Saves

=3

Walks

=-0.33

Strikeouts

=1

Batters Grounded Into Double Plays

=1

Save Chances

=0 ( this will appear just so you can easily see how many saves your closers have blown in all their chances )

Holds

=1

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tip for new players : Although the action doesn't begin until next week , be sure to check in on your teams occasionally just to see if there is any news ( yellow boxes next to the platers names ) regarding your teams . You may have some guys with injuries , a hot streak , a slump , etc. that might affect your starting position choices . I've already had 3 guys slightly injured ( I hope ! ) in Spring Training games thus far ... :P

Another tip for new players : Pitching : Not sure if I've mentioned this before or not , but you'll be able to tell if a SP ( starting pitcher ) is playing that day or not by the " ^ " symbol next to the listed opponent in his column . As the season starts in 2 days , you'll now be able to use the calendar feature ( April 2 /3/4th etc. ) near the top of your roster page to look ahead a few days to see who has scheduled games ( and starts ) or not . This will be convenient to set your lineups a few days in advance if you are going to be /are busy or going away . The scheduled starts are usually listed for about 3 days in advance and are , generally , 95+% accurate ( some managers may make last minute switches on you ) .

As a rule of thumb , I would suggest that you try to get all your starting pitchers in play as often as they are listed , at least for the first month , just to see who is doing well/ not doing well . After that , you may want to pick and choose who plays and who doesn't . Later in the season , you may have to hold some players back as there is a limit to the total games/innings that each position can play - but you needn't worry about that at all for the first month or so . I'll let you in on this more as we get started .

You will never get an indication if and when your RP ( relief pitchers ) will play , so be sure to have your best guys in place at all times ( unless they are not scheduled to play ) .

Also , check out how your competitors did that day also as that is usually the best learning tool you'll get in this game . See what they are doing successfully and try to match it , if you can, or look for other ways to get those points ! However , forgetting to put players in starting positions ( meaning keeping them on the bench when other starters are not playing ) is the surest way to keep yourself from alot of potential points .

Javy Lopez is following me around with Soriano. I have the all "playing out of position team."

Something for newbies - keep an eye on closers early on because they will often shuffle around in the first month or so. I remember when Paul Shuey was Cleveland's opening day closer and Jose Mesa ended up with like a jillion saves. A little less important now that saves have less value (which I totally agree with), but still worth a look.

Don't know if you guys have seen This

Hmmm . Glad we had a full day so I could see some real examples of the scoring system . Still not toally pleased with it , however , as I think I may have gone to the other extreme in trying to lower pitching points from last year :

ex . Today , a fielder went 0/5 , no hits, runs, RBI's etc . , but did get a single stolen base ( not very impressive ) . A pitcher went 5 innings , gave up no earned runs nor hits , 3 Ks and 3 walks, no win though ( pretty fair ) : both ended up with 2 points - yet that pitcher won't reappear for 5 more days to have a chance to collect again , while the fielder may average , say, a total of ~ 10+ points in that same time : total final tally ~10-2 ... See what I mean ?

'Something' is missing , and although I personally hated it ( as it seemed to give points for nothing and led to a loophole last year ) , it may mean bringing back a point ( or 1/2 point ) for each complete inning pitched . It won't be as decisive , I think ,since we are limited to a total of 1450 innings . Also , since we deduct points for walks, this would help to discourage putting a total loser ( who likely won't last long anyway ) in just for the points . There may be another way, as well . Any thoughts or suggestions ? Anyway , I want to get it settled ASAP , as I don't like ' the rules ' shifting much ( or at all , preferably ) once we are comfortably underway - and I'm sure you don't either . :P

Well , much ado about nothing . Just came back from the site and our scoring settings are locked so said option is out .

Possibly increasing points for wins / saves /take away minus walk points / others ? Or leave it ?

Whatever is decided , I wouldn't put it in play until Saturday , which would be the beginning of the new pitching rotation , so that all players would have to play under the same conditions , roughly .