Musical Cults You Don't Understand

Batman

What are some bands that have a devoted cult following, but you aren't sure why?

I would say Muse. On some other forums dedicated fans hype them to no end. So I picked up a few CD's from them from the library, and it turns out they aren't anything special. They were just another pop-guitar group. They weren't bad, there just wasn't anything that great about them.

I know a particular member who just returned who isn't going to like this part, but, I don't get the big deal surrounding the Manic Street Preachers. I listened to the CD "Everything Must Go." I don't think they are a bad group, but to me, they don't seem much different from most recent brittish rock groups. Maybe I just listened to the wrong album by them (Daniel, more suggestions?) but I don't get the big deal.

batman, listen to 'the holy bible' by the manics and if you don't get it then, you never will!

Allright, I'll give it a listen. Is it much different than "Everything Must Go?"

The White Stripes, The Strokes, Hack Johnson and his cadre of lame-Os, The Dork Matthews Band, Coldplay, and many more.

All of it: bland and mediocre at best.

I agree with most of what you said, except for the White Stripes? Just out of curiousity, what songs did you hear by them? Their radio hits aren't their best (Fell in love with a girl, Seven nation army, Hardest button to button). They are definitely a "love it or hate it" sort of band.

I went to a Amoeba in LA and gave Elephant a listen. Granted, I only gave it one and a half, but none of the songs caught my whim...

Well if you didn't like Elephant, you probably won't like anything from the Stripes.

I agree about Phish. Maybe if I was a stoner I'd understand them better. They are good, but not great.

I so do not 'get' the Dead and Phish---what IS the attraction? Reminds me of an old joke:

What did one Dead-head say to another when they ran out of acid? "Man, this music REALLY sucks!"

That about sums up the contribution of both. Repetitive, mundane and banal. Inventiveness, creativity, and plain old talent seem to be in short supply. Will 'Truckin' ever be covered by new talent in, oh, say, 30 years? But the classic geniuses will be emulated and imitated---Buddy Guy, Irma Thomas, Nat King Cole, Robert Johnson, Aretha, Dinah, Lady Day, et al.

Musical tastes being so subjective, it's hard to say why one person digs a certain genre and not another. Most of it relays back to what your parents or teachers played when you were young. If it was Lawrence Welk, you're probably more prone to listen to much different music than someone whose early musical influences included Sam and Dave and James Brown...I guess that's what makes horseracing!

Big D

i agree with xxx about dave matthews band (HATE them!) and the white stripes - they're okay but nothing special.

batman, 'the holy bible' is *totally* different from 'everything must go'!! it's much darker, punkier, edgier with incredible lyrics about a huge range of issues like politics, eating disorders, the holocaust etc etc. it's an amazing album!! i must say though that i'm a big manics fan and love all their albums, except the newest which i haven't heard yet. however, despite my biase 'the holy bible' really is worth a listen - i can't guarantee you'll like it but it's an experience!

Now I'm going to have to step in here and say I quite like tDMB! He's a South African boy done good and heck if he isn't a funny chap too! Very happy and always polite from what I have seen, and I don't really think they has a "cult" following like KISS or ICP or the Dead or Phish do. Unless it is totally different in the States?

What scares me are these completely devoted groupies who break into their idols homes and steal stuff or stalk them or go just a little loco...creepy!

hhmmm all i can say about dave matthews band is that, although his musicians are talented, i don't like his music at all! and i have it on good authority that a company wanted to pitch a product to him for him to endorse it but their plans were thwarted when he demanded TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS just to meet them! no guarantees that he'd endorse!!! and his bus driver dumped a load of raw sewage on dozens of people including my friend and his girlfriend and they tried to deny it until it was proved by cctv!! so, although we agree on almost everything when it comes to music (and other stuff) and while i understand you defending him since i'd defend any successful irish person, i have to stand by my 'hating him' analysis - sorry babe!!

batman, 'the holy bible' is *totally* different from 'everything must go'!! it's much darker, punkier, edgier with incredible lyrics about a huge range of issues like politics, eating disorders, the holocaust etc etc. it's an amazing album!! i must say though that i'm a big manics fan and love all their albums, except the newest which i haven't heard yet. however, despite my biase 'the holy bible' really is worth a listen - i can't guarantee you'll like it but it's an experience!

Well, I'll give it a try. Who would you say they are similar to?

TWO TO MAKE YOU STEW !

Led Zeppelin . All talented musos, but the best thing about them was always Jimmy Page's guitar, and most of their albums (which my sons have) are just dead boring.

The Doors . Ray Manzarek on keyboards. :thumbsup: Jim Morrison was a capable vocalist, but if he had lived I don't think the group would have lasted much longer anyway. Their best work was behind them.

I can think of more (Pink Floyd and Jefferson Airplane come to mind), but, hey I know they can't ALL be Beatles or Stones.

That should be enough to get things going anyway. :jester:

Phish and the Grateful Dead.

Never got the big deal about their devotees.

i never got into the grateful dead, but then again i never took acid either, that may have something to do with it....i do like a few of their songs though....not enough to be a follower.... :P

i never got into the grateful dead, but then again i never took acid either, that may have something to do with it...

I don´t think so, Laurie... I did take acid (doesn´t it show in my posts? ::) but never really loved the Dead. And even on acid, I loved the Bee Gees..

On the other side, I have always been a super fan of Jefferson Airplane and Pink Floyd... even before I begun to take acid!

TWO TO MAKE YOU STEW !

Led Zeppelin . All talented musos, but the best thing about them was always Jimmy Page's guitar, and most of their albums (which my sons have) are just dead boring.

The Doors . Ray Manzarek on keyboards. :thumbsup: Jim Morrison was a capable vocalist, but if he had lived I don't think the group would have lasted much longer anyway. Their best work was behind them.

I can think of more (Pink Floyd and Jefferson Airplane come to mind), but, hey I know they can't ALL be Beatles or Stones.

That should be enough to get things going anyway. :jester:

That's funny, I'm in every musical cult you mentioned just then!

Hi Batman, Edna & Laurie. I think I'm more of a "Singles" person. Most of my Albums are "best of" compilations.

I chose those Big Name Groups who I really do think are overhyped. I DO like Zeppelin and Doors in small doses, never took to Pink Floyd OR The Grateful Dead, and Grace Slick looked good, but Airplane was too hippy/ druggy for my tastes. Same with some of the Beatles drug induced rubbish, which thankfully is far outweighed by their other great music.

The Beatles and The Stones for me!

I'll also put in The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and CCR as measuring sticks for great bands. Queen too (even though I think their Albums were inconsistent - like Zeppelin's).

:headphones:

I see. I'm less of a hit singles kind of person.

I understand why someone would want to go to a KISS concert, but why someone would want to buy more than one KISS album. One KISS album is fine, but I imagine if I had all of them, they'd just get bland.