Aussie rock

luke42719

There are so many good Aussie rock bands!! :rockon: :rockon:

My faves are Cold Chisel, The Easybeats, Australian Crawl, The Choirboys, Skyhooks, Midnight Oil, The Angels, Normie Rowe, Daddy Cool, Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs and AC/DC. :bow: :bow: :bow:

I also like Men At Work, The Dvinyls, Dragon, Hoodoo Gurus, Hunters & Collectors, Sherbet and The Little River Band. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As for current bands, I like Powderfinger, Jet, Spiderbait, Grinspoon, Silverchair, The Living End, John Butler Trio and the superband, The Wrights. :coolio: I love the version of Evie Parts I,II & III that they did, it rocks!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Yeah!! :rockon: Flash & The Pan are cool, Harry Vanda and George Young are two of the greatest songwriters Australia had produced. :bow: I got the definitve Easybeats collection a while ago and its got some great songs on it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I googled Flash & The Pan/Vanda&Young/Easybeats and came up with a few interesting things:

*David Bowie, Lou Reed, Meatloaf, Peter Frampton, Gene Simmons, Cheap Trick, Blondie, Dead Kennedys and Rod Stewart have all sung Easybeats/Vanda & Young songs.

*300 George Young fans forced their way into his house to run amok, trampling little Angus (George's brother and future AC/DC guitarist) and siezing anything they could get including poor old George

*The song 'Good Times' made Paul McCartney stop his car on the motorway to ring the BBC and ask if they could play it again

*Vanda & Young helped to create AC/DC, led by George's two younger brothers, Angus and Malcolm and produced the first six albums

* They were responsible for the rise of Rose Tattoo and the Angels

*In 1973 they penned and produced 'Evie' for Stevie Wright which got every possible award that year and became the only 11 minute song to ever make number one anywhere in the world

* Lou Reed once declared the song 'Falling Of The Edge Of The World' "...one of the most beautiful records ever made"

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

In about 1982 an Australian (beauty) that I met did me a tape of her fave Oz bands and, if I remember correctly, it had songs like Sirrocco (Australian Crawl) and Chemistry (AC as well?) Cool World (?) and Howzat (Sherbert)...it became one of my fave tapes until my car stereo chewed it up...irreplaceable. I think it had the Little River Band on as well...and jo Jo Zep and the Falcons...Cold Chisel?

All great stuff...we owe Australia a lot....including The Police, in a roundabout and trivial way...the original members of the police were in a band formed by two Australians....Strontium 90 I believe.

:o

logo.gif

Yeah, they were great for the Australian rock scene because they really shook things up. My fave Skyhooks songs are 'Ego Is Not A Dirty Word', 'Horror Movie', 'Women In Uniform' and of course 'Living In The 70's'. Graeme 'Shirley' Strachan, the lead singer, was a handyman on Our House or some show like that. He was accidently killed in a helicopter crash in 2001 near Kilcoy, Queensland.

Johnny, 'Cool World' is by Mondo Rock :coolio: