• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the link something to do with where the bands derived their names? From fictional bands / characters?

I know where Heaven 17's name came from (Anthony Burgess's novel "A Clockwork Orange"), and have a vague idea about The Killers (something to do with New Order performing as "The Killers" in something or another)

Toad The Wet Sprocket sounds like something from Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy (I'm guessing now). Incidentally, they aren't even the first band to use the name. There was a British rock band by the same name in the early 1980s.

As for Megadeth, I've no idea. Though a few minutes research finds that Pink Floyd had, in their early years, called themselves "The Meggadeaths".

So, on second thoughts, is it that all of them have pre-used names?

The first guess was correct, they all got their name from fictional bands. :thumbsup:

"Heaven 17" was a pop group in "A Clockwork Orange"

New Order is correct for "The Killers" too. In the video for "Crystal" a band of that name was performing (they had that name on the bass drum)

"Toad the Wet Sprocket" is a band mentioned in a Monty Python / Eric Idle monologue called "Rock Notes" on the Contractual Obligation Album (1980)

and lastly: "Megadeth" is a band mentioned in a "The National Lampoon Radio Hour" sketch

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...