A Post about the Post (the one in Washington)

Carl

Dig it. We were mentioned in the Washington Post

I like this article for 2 reasons:

1) It says something nice about us.

2) It exposes the lack of creativity in radio that causes jocks to rely on show prep services.

The "bits" these services provide sound like really bad Leno jokes. When you hear a DJ say something like this:

"Madonna is at it again. The Material Girl is writing another children's book. No word yet on the title, but I'm guessing 'The Little Engine That Loved The Kaballah.'"

You are hearing the work of a show prep service.

Since most DJs don't live where they broadcast, they have to use lots of pop culture references. Good radio is local, creative and entertaining, but instead of hearing about the band coming to town this weekend or what the local college is up to, you're going to hear about The Sopranos and Paris Hilton.

As part of this prep, there is also information like, "Today is nationaly watermellon day." There's also stuff like celebrity birthdays and really dumb "topic starters." You can even buy phone bits that are pre-recorded audio tracks designed to sound like real callers.

The beauty of Songfacts is that it gives jocks something to talk about besides this dreck, and that makes the world a better place. It's also free, which makes DJs happy because most of them could be making more money as assistant manager of a Pizza Hut.

That's awesome...

Regarding your comments about DJ's making more money at pizza hut -

-reminds me of the Steve Martin little song on Let's get small ...

"I see people going to college for fourteen years

Studying to be doctors and lawyers

I see people getting up at seven-thirty every morning

Going to work at the drugstore to sell flair pens

But the most amazing thing to me is:

I get paid for doing this!!!"

There are so many sites talking about Songfacts at the moment and they all have something positive to say :)

Songfacts

I discovered Songfacts at Steven Cohen's Library Stuff. From the site: "Songfacts is a searchable database of song information compiled by radio professionals, music enthusiasts, and visitors to this web site. We provide the album, year the song was released, highest U.S. and U.K. chart position, and "Songfacts" about each song. The "Songfacts" are interesting tidbits like what the song is about, who wrote it, and what makes it different. Songfacts is free." A fun and useful resource. from ]http://www.suite101.com