Dave & Sammy

_jr_

DanielJ was saying in another thread how we've steered steadily away from music discussions. I thought about it, and decided to try and start a thread with a specific musical topic. Everyone knows about Van Halen's lead singers, and everyone has an opinion, I suppose. So I thought this might be a good topic to discuss. I don't know if it's ever been in here before, so forgive me if it's been a thread already.

Anyway, I think I may be in the minority that likes alot of VH's work with Sammy. Musically, I think it's more polished than the stuff with DLR. Of course, that has little to do with the vocals.

Backing vocals have always been top notch. Michael Anthony has a very distinct voice, and that's saying something, for someone who never sang lead vocal.

I believe Al's grown into a first rate drummer before our very eyes. The first VH was pretty much straight up drumming. VHII, he showed some flashes of the drummer he was becoming. Women and Children First, he went off the charts, IMO. It was his finest hour.

We all know about Eddie. A pioneer in his style. The only trouble is, he hasn't changed much since the hey-day.

Now, onto the singers. You can scratch Gary Cherone off the list straight off. A random fart from my dog is more interesting that that guy.

First, we have Dave. A born and raised front man, if ever there was one. Not the greatest singer, but a great 'rock and roll' screamer. Had all the tools. But then he started getting cute, caught up in the "dig me , I'm a rock star" thing. Had all the poses and catch phrases down. Started becoming the clown prince of rock, with his cute videos and whatnot. The worst thing that could have happen, happened. He put the music second. So, he's out.

In comes Sammy. A bona fide musician. Not a world beater, mind you, but solid enough to have had a career before joining.

The music is different, but at it's root, it's VH, no doubt.

I think at this point, some of the edge was lost without Dave, but musically, it was fuller and more melodic. How much of that was Sammy's input, I don't know. May have been Eddie changing, or collaborating musically with Sammy. Again, I don't know.

Michael Anthony's vocals were more prominent, to me anyway, and I think that's because Sammy's voice didn't take over, the way Dave's did.

Anyway, VH with Sammy has a lot of really good stuff. Not stuff you hear on the radio, but the CD's other stuff. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is a top notch cd, front to back. Ditto Balance.

So, I lean towards Dave, but I give Sammy the respect he should get.

When I entered this thread, I was thinking DaveGilmour & MiamiSammy were in trouble :laughing:

I don't know much about Van Halen. I only know a few of their songs. What were some of their biggest hits with DLR? SH?

Their Biggest Hits

DLR

Running with the Devil

Jamie's Crying

Dance the Night Away

Jump

Hot for Teacher

SHagar

Dreams

Why Can't This Be Love?

When It's Love

Right Now

Can't Stop Loving You

Here's a trivia question: Anybody remember that song that was released as a single, that Gary Cherone sang? The video featured them in an Ice House & Eddie was wearing an Eskimo outfit & a weird hat.

When I entered this thread, I was thinking DaveGilmour & MiamiSammy were in trouble

I thought the exact same thing. ::

I'm not a huge VH fan (a bit before my time), but I do have a 'Best Of' album and I like a few of their songs some with DL Roth and others with Hagar.

Eddie Van Halen is, of course, extremely talented but I never really got into his style.

As for that 'trivia question' Mindcrime (___), I'm not sure about the video but maybe it was "Without You" from Van Halen III??

I prefer Dave, but there are some Sammy songs I like. Vocally, neither is the greatest, but Sam's voice can sound like a screeching cat sometimes.

Some other hits

DLR:

Panama

Pretty Woman

Ice Cream Man

Eruption/ You Really Got Me

SH:

Pound Cake

Finish What You Started

When I entered this thread, I was thinking DaveGilmour & MiamiSammy were in trouble

I thought the exact same thing.

I've never been a fan of Van Halen, but I do like some of their songs with Dave. Sammy is a wuss and has the most anoying voice. I only own the first one and it pretty much rocks.

Sam's voice can sound like a screeching cat sometimes.

Sammy is a wuss and has the most annoying voice.

Not to mention, every song he wrote with them involved "Love" & it was even in the title of most of their songs, one song I did like with him was "Standing On Top of the World" the local hard rock station here plays it all the time, it seems like everytime I go driving to the local grocery store, that song pops up on the radio, very ironic.