Betcha Didn't Know...

Carl

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brenda Lee's Christmas classic "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" was recorded in July, with an air conditioner chilling the studio and a Christmas tree set up to get the musicians in the holiday spirit.

Likewise, Slade's UK mega hit Merry Xmas Everybody was recorded in the heat of a New York summer!

180px-MXE.jpg

:)

One of the people clapping along in the background of The Archies' "Sugar Sugar" was Ray Stevens...

The first record to enter the UK Singles Chart at Number Two and not make Number One was "Let It Be" by The Beatles, the second was The Sweet's "The Ballroom Blitz"...

The record heard playing in an early scene in "Independence Day" is REM's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"...

The first gold album disc was awarded to Harry Belafonte for "Calypso"...

Quincy Jones' middle name is Delight...

Frank Sinatra recorded the first version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" and was the first person to record a release on The Beatles' Apple label...

:D

Kerry Livgren of the band Kansas was my Sunday school teacher at the Topeka Bible Church, which I attended every Sunday until I was about 15.

Though he sang it, Barry Manilow did not write "I Write the Songs"

The only member of ZZ Top to not have a beard was the drummer . . . Frank Beard.

Jimi Hendrix's favorite guitarist was Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

Born in the USA by Bruce Springsteen was the first CD pressed in the United States.

George Michael's real name is Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou.

Loving this thread! ;):D:) :cool:

In the UK, all the catalogue numbers of the singles on the Beatles' Apple label had the prefix "APPLE" before the number... except the Beatles' own ones, which kept the Parlophone "R". This was a condition of EMI giving them their own label, something which continued when their solo records were still being issued on Apple up to the mid-70s...

The only act to chart in the UK as a solo, part of a duo, a trio and a group is/was Paul McCartney...

Speaking of Macca, what links him, Michael Stipe and Jim Morrison? They all go or went by their middle names: James Paul McCartney, John Michael Stipe and Douglas James Morrison, take your bows...

REM performed secret gigs in London in the 80s as Bingo Hand Job, supplemented by Billy Bragg and Robyn Hitchcock. Guitarist Peter Buck says the bootleg CD of one of their gigs is cool because you can hear people ordering drinks on the recording...

Kylie Minogue's hit "I Should Be So Lucky" was based on/inspired by Pachelbel's "Canon"...

David Bowie released two albums called "David Bowie" in the UK in the 60s: the latter one was later renamed "Man Of Words Man Of Music" in the US and "Space Oddity" in the UK...

Matt Bellamy of Muse is the son of George Bellamy of The Tornados who hit number one in the UK in 1962 on my birthday with Telstar (later the first US number one by a British group)...

Meat Loaf's debut album was issued on a subsidiary label of Motown...

The first music video made available commercially in the UK was a live show by Gary Numan...

On his first two singles, Gary Webb - later Numan - called himself Gary Valerian...

I'm tired now... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

You probably knew that Eddie Murphy had a hit song in 1985 with "Party All The Time," but did you know that he had another Top-40 hit as well? Yep, "Put Your Mouth On Me" made #27 in 1989, and despite the title, it wasn't a novelty song like "Boogie In Your Butt," but serious stuff.

Yep that's at least what my mother told she worked for 10yrs right after Disney first open circa 71-72ish and they were supposed to come a do a show, but it got canceled. Supposedly for that reason.

I also know that Jim Morrison was born in Melbourne Florida(Dad was in the AF) and his house and the hospital he was born still stand to this day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe you did know this one, but Michael Stipe and Natalie Merchant were a couple. If you think about it, has there ever been a union of more similar people? Kurt and Courtney maybe, but come on - highly sensitive lead singers of alternative '80s bands with weird angles and strange dance moves. Of course, it didn't work out, partly for the same reason Elton John's first marriage failed, but apparently, they remain bonded as friends.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if other musicians feel this way, but Ian Anderson would put cold endings on most of the songs he thought he would be performing live because he wanted a real ending to a song on stage.

Makes sense if you think about it - it's not easy to fade out a song in concert.