Bret Michaels In Critical Condition

_Laurie_

Bret Michaels in Critical Condition After Brain Hemorrhage

Bret Michaels seemed to be on the mend following a recent hospitalization for an emergency appendectomy, but it seems his situation is far more serious. PEOPLE is reporting that the Poison frontman and 'Celebrity Apprentice' contestant is in critical condition after suffering a "massive subarachnoid hemorrhage" at the base of his brain. Update: Bret's publicist tells PopEater that the PEOPLE report "is accurate," and his camp "will have no additional information until further testing is done."

As of last night, Michaels is said to be in stable condition. TMZ spoke with 'Rock of Love' season 2 winner Amber Lake, who told the gossip site that Michaels is awake, in good spirits and talking.

Meanwhile, Michaels' father, Wallace Sychak, told the NY Daily News that his son is "stabilized and doing as well as can be expected."

"I'm certainly worried, it's not a minor thing. I hope he's hanging in there," he said.

Sychak added that, according to friends close to Michaels, "he's in Arizona in a hospital with really good neurosurgeons."

According to the initial report, the 47-year-old rocker had "several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram" done after he was rushed to the hospital following an excruciating headache. "[it] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," according to the PEOPLE source.

Bret has been a lifelong sufferer of juvenile diabetes. During an interview last month with PopEater, Bret discussed how his disease led him to raise money and awareness for a diabetes related charity on 'Apprentice.'

Bret's March Visit to PopEater"I'm a life-long juvenile diabetic, so taking four injections a day and, as I just did right before this, probably six to eight blood tests a day. I really have a strong cause and I'm in there fighting for it," he told PopEater. Watch >>>

Earlier this month, Michaels was rushed to the hospital and underwent an emergency appendectomy. He was released several days later.

Following the scare, he wrote on his Web site, "They told me that if I had gone on stage like I wanted to, [my appendix] likely would have ruptured and I could have died," and joked that "getting your appendix out HURTS."

In a follow-up post, Michaels calls the incident a "wake-up call" and discussed how his rock-and-roll lifestyle often clashed with his diabetes, saying that "for a diabetic, it just doesn't work in your diet. It's got so much sugar content. Here's the misconception, as a diabetic, you can have a few drinks. That is the truth ... But, here's the downside, sometimes because of that feeling of maybe being slightly intoxicated, you don't know if you're having low blood sugar or if you're just drunk."

He continues, describing the experience as such: "Am I just feeling tipsy or am I having low sugar? And, it's a double whammy because here's what happens with alcohol: when you're hung-over then you don't eat right, you don't take your insulin right. So it's best to stay away."

Michaels is best known for fronting the hair-metal band Poison, who were one of the biggest bands in the world in the '80s and early '90s. With hits like 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn' and 'Something to Believe In,' they gained worldwide fame and topped the charts.

Source: AOL

• 4 weeks later...

*Update*

Bret Michaels Suffers Stroke -

Bret Michaels has suffered what doctors call a "warning stroke," or a transient ischemic attack, according to his Web site.

The rocker, 47 -- who is still recovering from a brain hemorrhage -- was "readmitted to the hospital this week after suffering numbness on the left side of his body, predominately his face and hands," according to a statement posted on his site.

While undergoing tests -- including an MRI and CT scan -- doctors also discovered he has a hole in his heart.

The news is "devastating...to Bret and his family," says his neurosurgeon, Dr. Joseph Zabramski. Michaels has two daughters, Raine, 10, and Jorja, 5, with ex girlfriend Kristi Lynn Gibson.

Continues Dr. Zabramski, "The good news is that it is operable and treatable and we think we may have diagnosed the problem that caused the...warning stroke; however we feel it is highly unlikely this is connected to the brain hemorrhage he suffered just a few weeks earlier. Once again, it is great that he quickly reacted to the severe numbness and got to the hospital immediately."

Dr. Zabramski adds, "I realize Bret wants to make a full recovery so that he can be active with his family, attempt to attend the finale of Celebrity Apprentice and especially get back on the road to continue making music. Without a doubt he is very determined to get healthy and make a 100 percent recovery.

"Medically speaking it is a fantastic attitude both mentally and physically for him to have. However, Bret's brain and body are not quite 100 percent yet, especially with the hole found in his heart."

Source

:P