Jimi Hendrix murdered by manager, claims roadie

Farin

A former roadie claims that Hendrix was killed by his manager because the guitarist was worth more to him dead than alive

[smaller]Sean Michaels | guardian.co.uk | Tuesday 2 June 2009 | Link[/smaller]

Jimi Hendrix was murdered by his manager, according to a new book by one of the guitarist's former roadies. James "Tappy" Wright has claimed that manager Michael Jeffrey confessed to making Hendrix swallow sleeping pills, because he hoped to collect on his client's life insurance policy.

Jeffrey feared being replaced with a new manager, Wright writes in his book Rock Roadie, and decided Hendrix was "worth more to him dead than alive". Jeffrey was allegedly the beneficiary oo the guitarist's $2m life insurance policy (worth around £1.2m in 1970).

According to Wright, Jeffrey told him about the crime in 1971 – a year after 27-year-old Hendrix was found dead in a London hotel. "I had to do it, Tappy," Wright claims the manager said. "You understand, don't you? I had to do it. You know damn well what I'm talking about ... We went round to [his] hotel room, got a handful of pills and stuffed them into his mouth ... then poured a few bottles of red wine deep into his windpipe."

Hendrix was found dead at the Samarkand Hotel on 18 September, 1970. The cause of death was recorded as barbiturate intoxication and inhalation of vomit.

"I can still hear [the] conversation," Wright wrote of Jeffrey's confession, "see the man I'd known for so much of my life, his face pale, hand clutching at his glass in sudden rage."

Hendrix's manager died in a plane crash in 1973.

We went round to [his] hotel room, got a handful of pills and stuffed them into his mouth ... then poured a few bottles of red wine deep into his windpipe

Interesting. People will say anything to sell books .... but I wonder who the "We" was supposed to be?

Well someone must have helped him.

I'm sure it would take more then one guy to stuff sleeping pills down Hendrix's throat. He didn't look like that much of a light weight to me. I wouldn't think he'd just lay there and let em' do that to him.