The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #143

Lucky

Octopus is probably one of the worst songs the Beatles ever allowed to be released with their name on it...

And now we all have given it the SF stamp of TT status. I guess I should accept this verdict, but can't help believing there weren't more deserving songs among the nominations

...I'm just fearful I have missed the deeper meaning of the song all these years. If someone can enlighten me, that would be great! I really am a big fan of the Lennon/McCartney team. Or did Ringo write that all by himself?

You just wrote my thoughts, Ron... :P

I guess "Yellow Submarine" isn´t among the Top Tenners... :shades: was Ringo obsessed by water? Maybe he couldn´t swim or something...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I too, think Ringo was great! Great for the chemistry of the Beatles, a very good, near great, strong drummer (human metronome, actually) and his energy was indespensible to the greatest rock act in history. But as far as his musical talents of writing or singing being able to place him into a TT list along with any group of 50 other moderately successful acts ... I gotta think the vote is more for his "backup" band, than for its frontman.

That's exactly what I mean. Mostly that's what people think of him ... he played drums for the Beatles. He really isn't given the personal credit he probably deserves. According to wiki:

"Many drummers list Starr as an influence, including Dave Grohl of Nirvana/Foo Fighters, Orri Páll Dýrason of Sigur Rós,[25] Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden, Eric Carr of Kiss, Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Phil Collins, Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and others.[26] According to Collins, "Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do."

all these people think he was a pretty talented guy. :P

He was/is a talented drummer, indeed... he had something, that´s why he got to play drums with the Beatles. That´s why the others wanted him and not Pete Best. Even George Martin wanted Ringo on drums -though another drummer played on their first recording...- He might not be the best drummer but he was what the band was looking for. They made something big together. But I don´t like him as an artist. I don´t like the childish songs he sings with The Beatles.

They were right. And I like Octopus's Garden. Why should every Beatles song have to have complex meaning and musical structure? It's a good song!

I agree. Is there a reason the Beatles couldn't release a fun song? Maybe a bit of a novelty, but something that was done just for the sheer fun of it? Sometimes I think we take them too seriously. I like Octopus's Garden too, I don't find it childish, I just find it fun.

I know it's a huge sacriledge for someone of my age to say but ... I'm not a huge Beatles fan. Don't get me wrong, I love a number of songs, but there are as many songs that I'm not terribly impressed with. So, I like Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden, Love Me Do, and In My Life, Something, etc. :P