San Francisco

Tony Baloni

Told ya.

I have been around the San Francisco Bay Area my whole life: raised on the Peninsula south of the City, college in the East Bay near Berkeley, settled and raised kids here just North.

Keep the reports coming. Don't know that we'll want to hang out (you're 18, I'm almost 60 and, you may have noticed, not so extroverted) but I'd be happy to answer questions.

I went to San Francisco once. My only problem with the place was the company I was in. My friend didn't want to do anything that I wanted to do. Oh, and Alcatraz was closed the whole time, so I couldn't do that. I did get to go to Ghirardelli Square, though. Yummy.

I took a vacation there a few months ago and fell in love with it. Make sure and drive down the coast to Monterey, and just south of it (I think) is Point Lobos State Reserve, which was described as (paraphrase) "the most perfect meeting of land and water". Something like that, anyway...

There is a somewhat imfamous photo of me at the corners of Haight and Ashbury..can't find it now.

I stayed in a hotel called the Rancho Lombard which was at the top of Lombard (the crookedest street in the world) Street. Not too bad.

Made it out to Napa Valley (the drunkedest street in the world) and sampled many, many, many varieties of wine.

Went to Sausalito and had fun there.

I drove up the coast from LA....a worthwhile drive. Stopped at Monterey and many sights in between.

The day i was flying home, the airline cancelled my flight and I had to stay another day. Not too shabby. Ended the day in Lodi (John Fogerty was right). I proceeded to insult the town too loudly at a bowling alley and narrowly avoided a total brawl.

All in all a good trip.

Some suggestions:

• At your earliest convenience, get out onto the Bay. Probably the least expensive way to do that is take a Golden Gate Transit ferry to Sausalito or Larkspur (I haven't disembarked at Sausalito but that is probably a better choice for you -- more to do and see before your return trip. Larkspur is a huge parking lot & bus stop, but you do get up close to San Quentin Prison just before you dock.)

• Angel Island is really cool, too. Neat walking hike ([smaller] or you can rent bikes[/smaller]) around the perimeter and spectacular views. Might be kind of pricey getting there from SF. I've taken a smaller ferry from Tiburon in Marin County.

• You can take a quickie tourist ride out under the Golden Gate Bridge from Fisherman's Wharf. Great fun, especially when it's choppy and you're getting hit with spray.

• The Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum is amazing. Fantastic surroundings. Original works by Rodin, El Greco, Rembrandt, Monet, Matisse & more are part of the permanent collection.

• If you haven't checked out all the neat stuff in Golden Gate Park (de Young Museum, Japenese Tea Garden, Conservatory of Flowers, Stow Lake), you can spend a couple days there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...