Stirring With The Stars

Shawna

Here's a thread where you can mention what celebrity you've seen, or "stirred" amongst, if you met them, what was the cirumstance that you saw them, and anything else you feel like mentioning.

I'll start: I met Linda Hamilton (Terminator) in an elevator. Didn't recognize her at first and just said she looked familiar... and shook my hand and said, "I'm an actress. Have you heard of the 'Terminiator' movies?" Then it clicked! :doh: We chatted the duraction of the elevator ride and that was it.

Honestly, I don't watch that show, and when Kev said that he'd met him and taken a photo with him, I had no clue what he looked like. So while I may have shanghaid him because he's cute, it would have had nothing to do with Lost or his name, since I was heretofore clueless about those things.

I have met quite a few celebrities. I grew up in an area where a lot of movies and TV shows were filmed and the town I work in now is the same way. I even met a few in the county jail the 5 1/2 years I was there. Living in LA, I guess it is unavoidable to meet someone who has been on a TV show or a movie at some point. Living and hanging out with my father in law has not hurt, either....

...and we remember your picture with your friend Mr. Costello (not Frank or Lou, the other... ;) )

I also met lots of people as I worked in the music scene and my family works in the movie scene. But the funniest thing for me was once that I was in the Royal Palace yard, in Madrid, I was going to pick up some papers for a shooting. Suddenly a car approached me, stopped and the king came out, he was like one or two metres before me. I said something like "Oh, the king..." :shades: and he said, "yes" and just smiled.

I met Ozzie Smith at the Walgreens I worked in in St Louis. He needed a wrist brace to use while helping out in a baseball clinic for deaf children. Couldn't find them, so I was more than happy to help him out. And be a complete dork by telling him he was Ozzie, introducing myself and shaking his hand.

I've met and interacted with a few "celebrities". Excluding professional sports stars they were:

Bobby Rydell (still a great guy), Frankie Avalon, Fabian (jerk), Chubby Checker (self-absorbed jerk), Paul Simon, Earl "Speedo" Campbell, Eugene Pitt of The Jive Five, Jimmy Beaumont of The Skyliners, JFK (shook his hand during 60 presidential campaign) and a few more.

My wife's cousin, Kirstin Vangsness plays Garcia on TV's Criminal Minds. We see her often and she's sweet and funny.

My 2nd cousin (died a couple of years ago) Joseph Di Stefano was a very successful screenwriter and producer in Hollywood. He wrote the screenplay for Alfred Hitchcodk's, "Psycho" and several other movies, some of which he produced. He also created, wrote and produced a TV seriess similar to Twilight Zone called The Outer Limits. One of his final movies starred Al Pacino and was called Two Bits. My Mom's name is mentioned in the movie, much of which was shot in our old neighborhood in South Philly

I was a classmate of Jennifer Weiner, currently a successful writer (Author of "Good In Bed" (2001), "In Her Shoes"-a major motion picture- (2002), "Little Earthquakes" (2004), and "Goodnight Nobody" (2005). ) We worked on the HS newspaper together and she's a terrific gal.

One athlete I will mention though is Wilt Chamberlain. For a while he lived a block from my house (around 1959-1961 I think) and he used to walk by our playground on his way home. We always stopped him and asked questions, talked about his games, etc. He was always gracious and very kind. He was never rude, in a hurry nor condescending. Really a nice guy.

edna said:

I was going to pick up some papers for a shooting. Suddenly a car approached me, stopped and the king came out, he was like one or two metres before me. I said something like "Oh, the king..." and he said, "yes" and just smiled.

Silly goose edna. That was me!

I have never met anyone famous...the closest I got was catching a glimpse of the weatherman from one of the NYC TV stations while in Rockefeller Center.

My cousin was a classmate of Jon Bon Jovi's and one of the teachers at my high school taught Bruce Springsteen...does that count?

Edited by Guest

one time igot close to someone famous but my palsm were sweaty and i got really nervous but i walked up to them and bowed and they looked at me kind of weird and still extendd their hand which i thought was kind so i said "im sorry im somebody you dont know who knows you from the various things youve done on movies television and radio" and they asked me my name but i was too nervous to give my real name (in case i did something stupid!!) so i told them it was john doe and they kind of looked at me werid but oh my gosh i was right there next to them i was basking in their wonderful glow that wonderful aura that they spewed from their bodies that i wished i had and they then asked me what my favorite movie of theirs was and i had only seen one and they replied "you dont really know me at all do you" it took me a second to realize how angry they were but they continued "youve just seen a movie i was in and you think you have any idea of what kind of person i am" and at that point i shook their hand and took a picture with them

i cant wait to see the next one

Back in 1976 ---> 1980 I was Bug Man to the Stars. :)

I worked for Western Exterminator and had the Brentwood / Bel Air route. 300 customers a month = 15 houses or mansions a day.

Some of the people that I met and interacted with at their homes... Mel Torme, Ernie Borgnine, Angie Dickerson, Lloyd Nolan, Johnny Carson, Robert Conrad.

Some of the people whose house I did but never saw... Sylvester Stallone, Helen Reddy and Jeff Wald, Barbara Streisand, Ronald Reagan, Britt Ekland and OJ Simpson when he was with his first wife(the Heisman Trophy was in the foyer).

I'll think of some more names later and tell some stories (dish some dirt)...

:cool: