The Personal Top Tens

This was my main thesis when I played the first hundred top tens.

I believe there is a bit more dedication to PTT beyond normal TT's for the reason outlined below.

You then must ask yourself, would you want others to listen to your complete playlist, as opposed to merely voting on those songs that "seem" to be good ones?

In the last PTT I listened to every song while doing other things on the computer, even though many were not my style of music. I wanted to give the music a "fair shake," and thus found I was rewarded by being introduced to many new and appealing songs! I feel many people invest more time into Personal Top Tens out of respect for the meaning those songs must have to the individuals that compiled the list on which they appear. A playlist is the key, because it can be listened to while other tasks are accomplished, with minimal time loss to the voter. We all listen to music in the course of our daily lives anyway, right?

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, you don't just choose your own Top Ten like that. ^^^

When it's your turn, you will have to nominate 50 (yes, fifty!) of your personal favourites -with links to enable us to listen to them. We then listen to them all, (no skimping over the unpromising stuff, either!), vote for our favourite 10 tracks in descending order. (i.e. #1 earns 10 points, #2 = 9 points, etc. down to #10 = 1 pt.). When all participants have voted, an overall Top 10 is extrapolated by those amongst us with a nerdish commitment to that kind of thing.

If the Personal Top Ten were just a case of each of us naming our personal 10 favourites and inviting adulatory comments... that would be a lot easier, granted, but undoubtedly less enjoyable for all concerned.

The thing is, you don't just choose your own Top Ten like that. ^^^

When it's your turn, you will have to nominate 50 (yes, fifty!) of your personal favourites -with links to enable us to listen to them. We then listen to them all, (no skimping over the unpromising stuff, either!), vote for our favourite 10 tracks in descending order. (i.e. #1 earns 10 points, #2 = 9 points, etc. down to #10 = 1 pt.). When all participants have voted, an overall Top 10 is extrapolated by those amongst us with a nerdish commitment to that kind of thing.

If the Personal Top Ten were just a case of each of us naming our personal 10 favourites and inviting adulatory comments... that would be a lot easier, granted, but undoubtedly less enjoyable for all concerned.

Wow, blind-fitter...I'll be sure to heed your advice from here on out and...have you taken a

walk

...lately?

Hey Muzik, as BB says, Mr. Fitter was not offering advice or correction, but an outline of the structure of this feature on SF. :elvis:

All that need be done this week is to say you are interested in participating and your turn will come to have your music favs (or any other type of song list) featured to be rated by the other individuals participating. Then the next step is to start following the Personal Top Ten (PTT) threads - listed by name of individual whose nusic is being featured that week - beginning next Monday to get the gist of how it is easily accomplished.

I will take your post here as an affirmation that you wish to participate. If this is not the case, just let me know. It is a fun and very interesting feature. I am sure you will enjoy the experience. :D

P.S. Come home, Sammy! :shades: :afro: :doh:

MuzikTyme... blind-fitter is just trying to be a good samaritan and explain the rules to you. There's no need to snipe back at him.

Wow, blind-fitter...I'll be sure to heed your advice from here on out and...have you taken a

walk

...lately?

Bluesy, I am still uncertain when and where I was labled a "sniper." lol

In all due respect, I admitted my overzealousness; music gets me excited sometimes and I'll be the first to admit it. Though the on-going banter between fitter and I is, as far as I'm concerned, good-natured and kind-spirited.

blind-fitter is appreciated for being a good

samaritan as my original post will engrave...

S2V,

Yes, I agree.

I think I am going to have too use two different music sites and two different playlists.

Some on the songs I can find on YT and the others I can find on Last.FM but not all the songs are on both.

I have most of the mp3's but my PC has started to crash if I try to make a video and besides, YT wouldn't let Farin put up the one he made for me because of all their restrictions and I'm sure I will run into the same problem even if I could make the vids myself.

Would it be a problem to use two playlists?

I would think that'd be fine if you provided two separate links to the playlists instead of linking each individual song. I think things work so much easier that way.

Thats what I would do Shannon. Last time I just used YT but it's harder to find stuff now days and even if you make the vids yourself they may not let you post them :crazy:

I think I was told you have to be a member to veiw the playlists on LastFM but it's not a big deal to create a user name and password.

I think a lot of people here already use that site anyway.

Edited by Guest

I think I am going to have too use two different music sites and two different playlists.

Some on the songs I can find on YT and the others I can find on Last.FM but not all the songs are on both.

I have most of the mp3's but my PC has started to crash if I try to make a video and besides, YT wouldn't let Farin put up the one he made for me because of all their restrictions and I'm sure I will run into the same problem even if I could make the vids myself.

Would it be a problem to use two playlists?

No problem at all with multiple sources for playlists, Lea (or anyone else going that route.)