The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #97

Lucky

I have now officially given up all expectations to get songs into the top ten, seeing as I can't even get classic Santana and Zeppelin in there. :laughing: This game hates me, but that's not going to stop me from playing, of course!

At least Twentieth Century Fox snuck in there. I love that song, not just because it's The Doors, it has a special meaning to me as of late

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you may about the Police, but Sting has a ton of musical talent. "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" contains a really neat bass riff. I always crank up the low tones when that one comes on my car stereo.

At least it is a distinctive hit and doesn't have that sanitized raggae sound, like 75% of their early work.

I have now officially given up all expectations to get songs into the top ten, seeing as I can't even get classic Santana and Zeppelin in there. :laughing: This game hates me, but that's not going to stop me from playing, of course!

:laughing: :laughing:

I thought the same and two weeks ago, my nomination ("Tommy") made it at #1. The other week, another nomination of mine (I don´t remember which) was numer 3 or 4 or so... so don´t give up, Tim... :cool:

I don´t care much about my nominations making it but I´m glad when some of the ten songs I vote for are among the winners.

I know all the songs in this top because I do click on the links and take the time to listen to them. I loved the Chambers Brothers´ one (never heard it before) but there were others I loved better. I heard the Yardbirds´ song for the first time too, as with "She talks To Angels" and "Inmortality". I knew and like the rest.

And congrats, Mr. Poet!! :thumbsup:

I wholeheartedly agree, ravishing Radhi. Even though I may not be thrilled with some of the songs that have made the top ten in the past, that doesn't mean that they aren't good songs...they just don't curl my toes. But to say that they are bad/disappointing/horrible is to insult someone else's taste, which is uncalled for.

This song by the Police is one of my very favourite songs.

Yes, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

Too true. I guess I've just reached the stage where the majority of the songs nominated and selected are ones with which I'm not familiar or ones that I don't like. I certainly did not mean to imply that anyone who likes songs I don't care for has no taste or that they should feel badly about the songs they nominate. If I felt that way, I would have dropped out about 40 Top Tens ago.

The game has obviously evolved from Darryl's original conception, and that's OK. I guess I just don't find it very meaningful anymore. We're getting close to 1000 songs now, so I guess I'll hang around until we reach that milestone and then, like Darryl, I'll make a graceful (I hope) exit.

I would like to thank and compliment Radhi, for her inspired idea to come up with her Ten Greatest Albums concept. Perhaps some of the more creative types around here can come up with some other great ideas like that. Who knows. Maybe I can still coax some creativity out of my middle-aged brain cells. :)

I would like to thank and compliment Radhi, for her inspired idea to come up with her Ten Greatest Albums concept. Perhaps some of the more creative types around here can come up with some other great ideas like that. Who knows. Maybe I can still coax some creativity out of my middle-aged brain cells. :)

Oh no, no... the best albums idea isn't (just) mine. As much as I'd like to take all the credit, I must spread the love to the SF gang. :grin: I don't make up the ideas for Special Tens alone... some consultation with the TopTenTeam, and some suggestions from the SFers and then one theme du jour/semaine/mois is settled on :) Glad y'like :grin: :thumbsup:

A zillion thanks to Radhi, for her ideas, and all the hard work she does to run the specials! :bow: The whole idea of the specials was to shake things up, to stray form our usual more restrictive rules, and to have fun! But the Top Ten is run with those rules for a reason, it's about picking great songs. CanAm I truly respect your feelings, and I understand where you are coming from. There are weeks that I think we've exhausted the best songs. Then I realize how wrong I am. There are still tons of great songs out there. We may not always agree on what those songs are, that's true. Shoot, a few days ago, MMMbop was in the official Daily Top Ten. That's proof we all don't agree... ;) I don't like The Police much, but the are some of their songs I like a lot. I happen to love the one song of theirs that made the Ten this week. If The Police are going to be recognized for anything (and yes, they probably should be), that is the song.

I don't think that the Top Ten has strayed from the original concept at all. If anything it has held pretty tightly to the original thought and concept. Sometimes that could be a problem, IMO. Stay tuned because #100 is coming up! We have an idea for it that everyone will enjoy, we think. And if, at any time anyone has creative ideas to shake up the status quo, just give one of the team members a holler, we're happy to hear about it! :)

Edited by Guest
I remembered several Police songs I like.... :)

That's right Bluesboy....a good amount of songs from the 70's and 60's have made our lists....we haven't even really touched the 50's and 90's to present yet.....I still have quite a few 70's and 60's on my list also!....and a few 80's.....we still have a long way to go, so hang in there everybody, have fun, and keep playing!.... :rockon: :guitar: :rockon:

I believe we also must thank Old55 :bow: :bow: :bow: who started all these Tops. It first was the Quizz in the Fun and Games thread and then the Top and its variations, that now have a thread of their own.

So thank you Fin, Radhi, Lucky, Martin and the SF team who makes this possible... but let´s not forget Darryl, the father of it all. :thumbsup:

I believe we also must thank Old55:bow: :bow: :bow: who started all these Tops. It first was the Quizz in the Fun and Games thread and then the Top and its variations, that now have a thread of their own.

So thank you Fin, Radhi, Lucky, Martin and the SF team who makes this possible... but let´s not forget Darryl, the father of it all. :thumbsup:

edna, you've been hanging out with RonJon huh? Again, you're right. Old55 is The Father of The Ten, no doubt about it. It was his inspiration that started it, and we are 2 years later! That's sort of unbelievable. Let's not forget Chris, and Katie as well. Chris manouvers through some awesome statistics to put the Ultimate Tens together, and Katie has hung in there with the Facts since the beginning! :thumbsup:

In the end though, it's the members of Songfacts that are to be congratulated. All of us together have put together one h*ll of a list of songs. Almost one thousand! :)

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #97 for the week ending 13th January 2008

1. Time Has Come Today - Chambers Brothers (1968)

2. Shapes Of Things - The Yardbirds (1965)

3. She Talks To Angels - The Black Crowes (1990)

4. Vincent - Don McLean (1971)

5. From The Beginning - Emerson Lake & Palmer (1972)

6. Room To Move - John Mayall (1969)

7. Immortality - Pearl Jam (1995)

8. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic - The Police (1981)

9. Cry Baby - Garnet Mimms & The Enchanters (1963)

10. Twentieth Century Fox - The Doors (1967)

.... and so we move 1 step closer to that amazing #100!

:headphones: