Phil Collins "McCartney Music Stinks"

RonJonSurfer

Collins Slams McCartney

Former GENESIS drummer PHIL COLLINS has slammed SIR PAUL McCARTNEY - insisting he would never work with the star again.

Former GENESIS drummer PHIL COLLINS has slammed SIR PAUL McCARTNEY - insisting he would never work with the star again.

The star has collaborated with the former Beatle in the past, but is adamant McCartney's current 'musical direction' does not match his own high standards.

He says, "I used to work with Paul, these days I wouldn't.

"I think he has the wrong sort of people around him. They let him make all the wrong musical choices."

Copyright World Entertainment News Network 2007

Wow, tough audience!

Phil better not be so much as humming, should he pass any of you on the street. I didn't read where he said he was "better" than Paul. Only Elton would have the mouth to claim that.

From '70 onward , Elton WAS better than Paul . I agree Phil Collins never said he was better than Paul in that quote though , and again , it's really much ado . Collins doesn't like working with Paul based on , what he says , are crappy people and influences around him . Fair enough . Most posters here claim that they haven't the slightest degree of fondness for Paul's music after the Beatles anyway and Phil Collins is Phil Collins and will fade away soon .

Ho-hum ! Is John , in your ( and so many other's minds) , some kind of a new martyred Christ and really worth turning Paul into a kind of Judas figure ?!?! This is just STUPID and unworthy even of discussion . Lennon , let's be honest , was unlikely to put out much more that would've thrilled the crowd , and, especially , the new music listeners had he lived , anyway ...

People seem so quick to say Paul wrote lesser music and John was the insightful, clever genius behind the Beatles success. I heard an NPR radio program of the making of the album "Let It Be." Just prior to, during and for a time after that period, John was strung out on heroin, not able to function at a level required for sustained success. On that final Beatle's album, Paul fixed or finished many of John's songs. Notice there were two interwoven songs of Paul's and John's on that album - because John couldn't deliver his portion of the album cuts. Paul alone worked with George Martin on ALL the arrangements, because John was barely functional at that time and could not add meaningful input as was normal on albums prior. That NPR program discussed that the problem the other Beatles had with Yoko was not her being in the studio, which the press often reported, but that she was an enabler who tolerated John's addiction and excesses. It also was brought out by George Martin's son (who was interveiwed for the program) that John was certainly the initial moving force behind the Beatles success, but later his drug-induced lethargy prompted Paul to wear that mantle. George and Ringo were always compliant to follow and add as they could.

Great reply , Steel , and by 'you' I didn't mean you in particular , or at all ,for that matter . As you've pointed out , I often feel there is an excess of misplaced 'Lennon love ' merely based on the fact that he had the misfortune to be gunned down , and has given a burden, based on sympathy , for the rest , especially Paul , for no logical reason , really .

Tsk, tsk! All this vitriol directed at poor Phil. Kevy is absolutely right. Phil did not say or claim that he is better than Paul McCartney. He merely stated that he does not like the musical direction Paul has chosen to take in the last few years and that he will not work with him again.

That having been said, however, it was a bit rich to refer to his own "high musical standards" when he has foisted gems such as Sussudio and One More Night on an unsuspecting record buying public.

I must confess that I do very much like some of Phil's work like Another Day In Paradise, Easy Lover and The Air Tonight.

As for the endless Lennon vs McCartney debate, why can't we just admit that each wrote some wonderful music and each was responsible for a few clunkers. It was for the most part a beautifully symbiotic relationship and neither one would have been as good without the other.

It was for the most part a beautifully symbiotic relationship and neither one would have been as good without the other.

Couldn't agree with you more, CanAm. One of my earliest posts on this site was on a thread about who was better, Paul or John. In that thread I said that both challenged one another to be better and to grow musically and neither would have been (nor later were) as good without the other. They knew it too, but both had egos too large to allow that to be a public statement.