That's Country

Lucky

I mentioned Gillian Welch in a bluegrass thread some time ago. One of my favorite songs is "I'll Fly Away", her duet with Alison Krauss found on the "Oh Brother,Where Art Thou" CD.

Other favorites I have of this style are The Whites,Emmylou Harris and of course the aforemeantioned and great,Alison Krauss.

Cool; I may check some of these artists out. :thumbsup:

I've heard so much "good" about the "O Brother, Where Art Thou" album, I probably ought to get that sometime too.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was calling Mr Fitter a stinker. In the nicest possible way! :P;) Just responding to his tease! That's a bit of a term of endearment, where I come from!

I knew who the "stinker" was intended for my dearest of all songfacts friends. I guess I need to make sure every pun,funny,joke,tee-hee,ect.,ect., is followed by one of them smiley thingys. Like this>> :):D :cool: :P

My, this CBT works wonders.

By way of explanation , I just looked up CBT on Wikipedia, and I was naturally referring to:

Cognitive behavioral therapy, a kind of psychotherapy

and definitely not:

Cock and ball torture, a sexual activity involving torture of the male genitals.

Sorry for that brief digression from topic. :blush:

I'm pretty much a fan of classic country up to the Urban Cowboy days (nice soundtrack BTW).

I agree muzik, it was a soundtrack that I would listen to over and over and still take out and listen to when I feel in the mood for a great mix of country music.

Hello Texas - Jimmy Buffett

2. All Night Long - Joe Walsh

3. Times Like These - Dan Fogelberg

4. Nine Tonight - Bob Seger/The Silver Bullet Band

5. Stand By Me - Mickey Gilley

6. Cherokee Fiddle - Johnny Lee

7. Could I Have This Dance - Anne Murray

8. Lyin' Eyes - The Eagles

9. Lookin' For Love - Johnny Lee

10. Don't It Make Ya Wanna Dance - Bonnie Raitt

11. Devil Went Down To Georgia, The - Charlie Daniels Band

12. Here Comes The Hurt Again - Mickey Gilley

13. Orange Blossom Special / Hoedown - Gilley's "Urban Cowboy" Band

14. Love The World Away - Kenny Rogers

15. Falling In Love For The Night - Charlie Daniels Band

16. Darlin' - Bonnie Raitt

17. Look What You've Done To Me - Boz Scaggs

18. Hearts Against The Wind - Linda Ronstadt/J. D. Souther

When you look at the artists on this album, how can you go wrong. Anne Murray, Mickey Gilley, Johnny Lee, Bonnie Raitt, Charlie Daniels...and everyone...great songs. I have 2 of Anne Murray's albums and love her voice, so beautiful and strong. Wish I had the soundtrack here at work....needs me some good old country tunes! :)

There is no question that the movie "Urban Cowboy" and its soundtack were huge for country music. It got people who would have never listened to country music otherwise,listening to it. But there were those in the country music industry that didn't like what it brought to the table because it was "un-traditional". And there is no question that some of the music that followed "Urban Cowboy" was pretty bad. But what it did was open up the minds of some of the record labels that country music could be a little non-traditional and different but still sell. Without "Urban Cowboy" some of the great artists of the 80's who changed country music may have never got their chance. Artists like Dwight Yoakam,Alabama,Reba,Garth Brooks and others.

Just a question for anyone who is into country music. Reba and Garth were mentioned, does it seem like they have fallen off the popularity wagon in the country music world? I have albums from both, but don't listen to either one much, not sure why. They both were quite big for awhile, and then faded away in a sense. I do still like them, but are the still considered the prime of country today?

I know that Garth is retired (again) not sure about Reba though. My old man says Garth will probably come out of retirement (again) and do another tour, then retire again (again).

My parents are country fans (I am as well, to some extent) and still listen to both of these artists. Their fave radio station still plays them as well.

Back in my early 20's Loretta Lynn played the county fair. My Mom and aunt were going and said I should come along, it would be a good concert. With hesitation I went, and to my surprise I enjoyed every moment. She was a great lady on stage and her show was enjoyable. I had heard her music all my life, but never thought of checking out one of her concerts. I ended up seeing Tammy Wynette 10 years later at the county fair and liked her show also, funny you just never know what will tickle your fancy. :)