That's Country

Lucky

A traditional aspect of country is Yodeling. Country has so much (US) history connected to it, which I love. A lot of traditional Country music we know today is more or less the poor white folks' version of The Blues. wiki Here's a traditional country/bluegrass recording from 1930 (Jimmie Rodgers). The clip illustrates the history very nicely ...

(Blue Yodel #8) Muleskinner Blues

which Dolly Parton remade in 1970, and was nominated for a Grammy:

Muleskinner Blues ( check out the voice! )

This song has been done by Rodgers, Bill Monroe, as traditional Bluegrass , Woody Guthrie, Odetta, Parton, Jose Feliciano, Jerry Garcia, and as recently as the 1989 by a punk rock band (The Cramps) .

The Cramps version . Stuff that starts as traditional country doesn't always stay that way. ;)

Edited by Guest

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Jimmie Rodgers (one of the earliest Country Music artists) there should be a natural segue into speaking of Mother Maybelle Carter, and the Carter Family as a whole. Mother Maybelle, and the Carter Family have had a huge impact on today's popular music, and the musicians themselves.

The Carter Family was a country music group that recorded between 1927 and 1956. Their music had a profound impact on bluegrass, country, southern gospel, pop and rock musicians as well as on the U.S. folk revival of the 1960s. They were the first vocal group to become country music stars....

As important to country music as the family's repertoire of songs was Maybelle's guitar playing. She developed her innovative guitar technique largely in isolation; her style is today widely known as the "Carter scratch" or "Carter style" of picking (see Carter Family picking). While Maybelle did use a flatpick on occasion, her major method of guitar playing was the use of her thumb (with a thumbpick) along with one or two fingers. What her guitar style accomplished was to allow her to play melody lines (on the low strings of the guitar) while still maintaining rhythm using her fingers, brushing across the higher strings. Before the Carter family's recordings, the guitar was rarely used as a lead or solo instrument. Maybelle's interweaving of a melodic line on the bass strings with intermittent strums is now a staple of steel string guitar technique. Flatpickers such as Doc Watson, Clarence White and Norman Blake took flatpicking to a higher technical level, but all acknowledge Maybelle's playing as their inspiration....

It is also interesting to note that the Carter Family Song "Wayworn Traveller" was covered by a young Bob Dylan, who wrote his own words to the melody and named it "Paths Of Victory". This recording is featured on "Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3". After writing that song, he wrote new words to the melody and changed the time signature to 3/4, thus creating one of his most famous songs, "The Times They Are a-Changin'"

A couple of Mother Maybelle's earliest recordings, an example of her pickin' style, songs which are Country Music standards today:

Wildwood Flower ~ Mother Maybelle Carter (1928)

Can The Circle Be Unbroken ~ The Carter Family (1935)

The Carter Family, I would assume is one of the oldest, and longest active performance groups in the world. Beginning with Mother Maybelle in 1927, they are still active today, more than 5 generations later.

Will The Circle be Unbroken ~ The Carter Family

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, one of the earliest Country Rock groups were described by Roy Acuff as "a bunch of long haired West Coast boys". They gathered together the greats of Country Music for their album "Will the Circle be Unbroken". Mother Maybelle, Doc Watson, Roy Acuff, Earl Scruggs, Merle Travis, Norman Blake and Vassar Clements all collaborated on the Grammy winning album, which is one of my all-time favorites.

Will The Circle Be Unbroken ~ Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Johnny Cash, June Carter, Chris Hillman, Levon Helm, Emmylou Harris, Roseanne Cash, Chet Atkins and many more ...

That's some of the roots of Country. And to some extent, Rock & Roll, and much of what we hear today guitar-wise, owes a debt to that little lady from Virginia.

I've always liked Vince Gill's voice...

just a random country music thought I had...

Vince is one of the most talented artists in contemporary Country, IMO. Also, he's versatile. He's moves just as easily from old school country to gospel, to contemporary stuff. And his voice is simply beautiful.

Go Rest High Upon That Mountain Written by Vince, for both his brother, and his friend Keith Whitley.

When I Call Your Name the old school sound

Liza Jane contemporary

I seem to be stuck in the old, and that really isn't the case, but I'm interested in how the old influences the new and how genres influence one another.

That's not so much the case here. This is pure old time country, complete with twang, with an early feminist twist. ;)

In 1952 Hank Thompson released his classic

The Wild Side of Life

You wouldn't read my letter if I wrote you

You asked me not to call you on the phone

But there's something I'm wanting to tell you

So I wrote it in the words of this song

CHORUS:

I didn't know God made honky tonk angels

I might have known you'd never make a wife

You gave up the only one that ever loved you

And went back to the wild side of life

The glamor of the gay night life has lured you

To the places where the wine and liquor flows

Where you wait to be anybody's baby

And forget the truest love you'll ever know

Miss Kitty Wells responded to Hank's song with this song. It became a smash hit, made Wells probably the first female country music star, and struck a blow for women everywhere! Pretty bold for a country woman in 1952, and it was considered slighty scandalous at the time. :D

It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels

As I sit here tonight the jukebox playin'

The tune about the wild side of life

As I listen to the words you are sayin'

It brings memories when I was a trusting wife

It wasn't God who made Honky Tonk angels

As you said in the words of your song

Too many times married men think they're still single

That has caused many a good girl to go wrong

It's a shame that all the blame is on us women

It's not true that only you men feel the same

From the start most every heart that's ever broken

Was because there always was a man to blame

It wasn't God who made Honky Tonk angels

As you said in the words of your song

Too many times married men think they're still single

That has caused many a good girl to go wrong

• 3 weeks later...

:bow: It's a lovely song. Another talent lost too soon. The other version is a duet between Krauss and Whitley. It wasn't released prior to his death except as a limited single. She may have released it since. Both versions are popular wedding songs back home.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...