That's Country

Lucky

He Stopped Loving Her Today really is one of the best songs ever recorded, bar none. In any genre of music. And it tops the list as the SADDEST song, period. I would have loved to see 'ol George in concert! :)

I've really got to listen to more new stuff. What I think of as new is stuff that was released in the 90's. Ain't it funny how time slips away?? (sorry Willie! ;) )

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't listen to a tremendous amout of new stuff in country. I don't listen to a lot of country radio but I check out CMT and GAC once in awhile to see what videos and songs are hot. There is some good music in country out there,but there is some that I can't stomach at all. I think I have mentioned Rascal Flats. Too pop. Too slick. Too much hair gel.

I definitely do not like modern country, the crossover pop kinda stuff.

I really like Johnny Cash though. And my mum plays Patsy Cline flat out. My favourite song of hers is 'She's Got You'.

Patsy Cline was in a league by herself. Great music there that I can listen to for hours.

Johnny Cash had a sound that was all his own and nobody will ever capture that kind of sound again.

I have mentioned this before but if somebody doesn't like "modern" country music they should at least give a listen to Martina McBride. Maybe the best voice in music today in any genre. And if you like older country music,check out her "Timeless" CD where she covered some classic country songs by several different artists from the 60's and 70's.

Martina McBride makes some beautiful music. Also some very empowering music for women!!

Patsy just sort of goes without saying, doesn't she? Most people like her whether they are into Country or not. Katie, your mom's got good taste! Along with "She's Got You", I love "Walkin' After Midnight" as well!

I confess to knowing very little about country music, or its "country-rock" cousin. It's not very big over here, and particularly not with anybody under 60.

I have a couple of Mary Chapin Carpenter albums(possibly three), which I enjoy from time to time, when the mood is right. My favourite track of hers (off the top of my head) is "He Thinks He'll Keep Her". :bow:

Of course, I have a few Johnny Cash albums- doesn't everyone?- but you have to admit, surely, that for all of his "legendary" material, the guy put out a whole lot of crap as well. This includes some- but by no means all- of his recent "return to hipness" material. Am I alone in thinking his version of D*****e M***'s "Personal Jesus" is a pointless and fairly cynical exercise in "gettin' down with tha yoof"? The lyrics are so duff that even a uniquely emotive voice such as his struggles to imbue them with any sense of gravitas.

I haven't heard much country, and most of what I heard sucked, ergo I imagine that is true of the genre as a whole, right? }:|;)

Mary Chapin-Carpenter is one of the best singer/songwriters of this generation,in any genre and your selection of "He Thinks He'll Keep Her" is a good one.

I think any artist who records music for over 50 years is going to have a few clunkers in there from time to time,including Johnny Cash. I don't think any artist can produce 100% gold with every song. I wasn't a fan of his last works,including "Hurt" which garnered so much acclaim. But I did admire his attempt of trying something different and when in very poor health.

As far as your last line,it seems you are saying country music "sucks" as a whole. At least that's how it reads. I won't comment on that untill I am sure of what you mean.

I don't think any artist can produce 100% gold with every song.

you haven't heard my precious Roger, then. ;)

As far as your last line,it seems you are saying country music "sucks" as a whole.

our beloved b-f saying something negative about any type of music? I refuse to believe it. :grin:

Woo hoo! Some actual discussion! :coolio:

Mr Fitter, I take great pleasure in responding to you, now that I have the time. I'm not giong to indulge in a bunch of quotes here:

First, I'm happy to say we agree on one thing (2, there's Beefy). Mary Chapin Carpenter is a an artist I like as well. I don't own any of her cd's, and wish I did. So yay we agree! :)

Oooh, now the good stuff (though it won't be that eloquent):

1. You know very little about Country music. I would think that would be a given. It's not a part of your background or experience. Country is built on the heritage of a certain kind of people, and a lot of us share that heritage, and those experiences. That heritage is completely alien to you, as yours is to me. Hence, I probably don't share the same love of Punk, and/or other genre's that are more unique to your background and experinces. But there ARE individual songs and artists that I can stand to listen to on occaision. ;)

2. Johnny Cash? I'm happy you have some of his music. Congratulations, you own some of the best music ever made, in my opinion. I think his return to hipness was not so much a return to being hip, as it was a salute to the music of another generation. That was an acknowledgement, that music has to grow, and that growth can be good. Johnny Cash had a career that lasted 50 years, and he began in a VERY different place than he ended. He certainly didn't need to make that music, and sing those particualar songs, didn't need the money, or the the recognition. Shoot, he'd had that for a lifetime. The man still wanted to make good, meaningful music. So, he didn't express a song the way you would've liked. The man lived music literally almost till the day he died at 71. I think we can forgive a few lapses. And produce a lot of crap? In a career as long and successful as his was, with the sheer number of songs and albums released, there is bound to be some crap, wouldn't you think? Law of averages, and all that?

3. As for your ergo remark?? Touche Mr Fitter!! :grin:

Edited by Guest
added a word here and there. :)

Great tune by MCC. Other favorites of mine are "Never Had It So Good","I Take My Chances",oh and,Lucky you must like this one,"I Feel Lucky". :D

Seems to me I was chatised some time ago on here about comments I made concerning rap/hip hop,including some made by our distinguished friend Mr. Fitter. Think his infamous "ergo" comment may have been intended for me?? :smirk:

Gillian Welch is a singer-songwriter whose musical style combines elements of bluegrass, neo-traditional country, Americana, old time string band music and folk into a rustic style that she dubs "American Primitive". All of her recordings feature the close-harmonies and unconventional guitar work of her musical partner, David Rawlings. Her music is often described as haunting or soothing. Gillian pronounces her first name with a hard G. (Thanx to Wikipedia for this resume)

I am hugely enthusiastic about Gillian Welch. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Her album "Time (The Revelator)" might well be the finest album I've procured within the last year. It's certainly up there with the best anyway. It's one of those that can take me into realms I previously didn't know existed.

I once nominated its title track for a SF Top Ten, and still believe it's probably the finest, classiest song I have ever nominated in terms of the musicianship, the vocal, the production, the song itself, its emotive qualities, etc. Naturally, it bombed.

:(:(

(Others can tease too but Lucky please don't call me a "stinker".)

Actually, I was calling Mr Fitter a stinker. In the nicest possible way! :P;) Just responding to his tease! That's a bit of a term of endearment, where I come from!

Edited by Guest
clarifying....

Yes Mr. Fitter. Please embellish us with your vast knowledge of country music that I am sure is beyond that of us poor,uneducated folks from the states. :D

(Others can tease too but Lucky please don't call me a "stinker".)

"Paranoia = great destroyer", as somebody- I think it was Shawna- said to me a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure Lucky was referring to me as a "stinker", not your good self. Or maybe you know that and we're just getting our wires crossed again? :) Either way, it's an insult I can live with.

I'm quite happy to confess the barest minimum of knowledge about country music and to leave the discussion of its merits to those who know and care more about it.

I was (obviously?) joking about it "sucking"; I don't dislike it at all, even if I don't get some of its cultural trappings. In the same way, I don't dislike Eastern European folk music. All indigenous folk musics are "the music of the people" and, as such, are bound to have plentiful redeeming features. (Probably moreso than mainy strains of "Rock".)