Phil Rizzuto Dies

RonJonSurfer

Former Yankees SS Phil Rizzuto dead at 89

BRONX, NEW YORK (TICKER) -- Former New York Yankees shortstop and renowned baseball broadcaster Phil Rizzuto died Tuesday. He was 89.

The Yankees confirmed Rizzuto's death to PA SportsTicker, although the team did not provide any further details. New York radio station WFAN reported that the Hall of Famer died early Tuesday morning.

Nicknamed "The Scooter," Rizzuto helped the Yankees win seven World Series titles from 1941-1953. The diminutive Brooklyn native was a career .273 hitter in parts of 13 seasons - all with the Yankees.

A five-time All-Star, Rizzuto was regarded as one of the best defensive shortstops of his time. Standing at just 5-6, he also was renowned for his bunting ability and speed.

Like many players in the 1940s, Rizzuto served in the United States Navy during World War II, interrupting his career from 1943-1945.

Rizzuto enjoyed his finest season in 1950, when he was named American League MVP. In 155 games that year, he batted a career-best .324 with seven home runs, 66 RBI, 200 hits, 125 runs and 12 stolen bases for the Yankees, who rolled to a four-game sweep of the Philadelphia Phillies in the World Series.

After his retirement in 1956, Rizzuto began a 40-year career as a radio and television broadcaster for the Yankees. He became famous for his trademark catch phrase, "Holy Cow!"

Following a long campaign, Rizzuto was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1994 by the veterans committee.

Let us not forget his important role in Meatloaf's "Paradise By the Dashboard Light"!!

He loved two towns over from me and was a local icon...they named a nice park after him about 10 years ago...ironically, there is a soccer field there, no baseball.

Phil was a guy I ran into 3 or more times over the years....once in a men's room (Holy cow!)..but my favorite story is:

I was flying to California and the airline went on strike the day of my flight. I had to scurry around to get another flight...and so did Phil Rizzuto...the Yankees were playing Anaheim that night and he had to get there. So i did my thing, but Phil had an assistant with him and that guy did everything.

Phil and I ended up on the same flight...only once he got to first class, he sat down....I moved to the rear of the plane...

I met the Scooter once in 1979. He was the guest speaker at our annual Little League banquet. Nice guy....too bad he was a Yankee.

And then the next year, Tug McGraw was the guest. He brought some hot, half-naked slut with him (not his wife), and they were both sh*tfaced. But he was very funny and very entertaining.

May they both rest in peace.

HOLY COW, WHAT A SCREWGIE!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: