Nirvana is...

Batman

the whole musical development in the last 100 years has been a natural progression, there have been no bands/musicicans/artists (at least I can't think of any) that completely 'invented' a new music...

Grunge had Heavy Metal and Punk, who had 60s (Blues, Psychedelic, whatever) Rock, who had 50s Rock'n'Roll who had Blues who had African/Caribean roots, who (I think I'm way beyond the 20th century now... :shades: )

EDIT: I knew you'd agree with me :grin:

Edited by Guest
a tad too slow...

Also, sometimes I think Nirvana are slightly underrated because it seems like almost everyone agrees that they were not the best band in the Seattle grunge scene, when in my opinion they really blow all the other bands out of the water. I think Nirvana is much better than Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Green River, The Screaming Trees, and Mudhoney. I don't think it's a coincidence that they were more popular, and I don't think that takes away any of their credibility.

I think the fact that they were first is a very important fact. They're Jackie Robinson man, it's the perfect analogy.

The perfect analogy, perhaps, if they had been "first", but they weren't...The only thing they were first at, was "being Nirvana"; they weren't "first" at anything else at all.

I'm thinking perhaps they're accurately rated. I mean, for each fan who seems to think they were the best grunge band out there and that they paved the way for other bands there seems to be another person who can rattle off the names of other bands they believe are better than Nirvana so to prove that they are overrated.

So through this if there are that many people who agree that they are overrated you can't accurately come to the conclusion that they ARE in fact overrated as through argument how high they rate seems to come at a balance between the two sides.

Does that make sense? I'm kinda confusing myself :stars:

...also Slowhand I think it's funny that you keep referring to yourself and other songfactors as musical snobs.

...also Slowhand I think it's funny that you keep referring to yourself and other songfactors as musical snobs.

I don't think of myself as a musical snob per se, but I think all of us here are to some extent.

The basic fact is that 90% of people listen to what is played on the radio, and 90% of what's on the radio is crap. They like it though, and I don't. It seems snobbish to me to feel that way. And I do voice my displeasure when something I don't like comes on the radio.

...there seems to be another person who can rattle off the names of other bands they believe are better than Nirvana so to prove that they are overrated.

I know what you mean; that demonstrates the difference between subjectivity and objectivity. Personally, the list of bands I rattled off was not really of artists I consider better than Nirvana- I'd far sooner listen to Nirvana than Black Flag or The Replacements, for example- but was an attempt to substantiate the point that Nirvana were far from doing anything "revolutionary" or even original. They didn't "create a musical landscape that enabled others to thrive" (in the way the Pistols did, for example), they stepped into one that already existed (albeit away from the mainstream, to a certain extent), then contributed to (and capitalised on) its sudden fashionability. Which is why I think to some extent they struck lucky in becoming the "chosen ones" to epitomise the zeitgeist and, in Kurt's case, to become the poster-boy for self-pitying, pseudo angst-ridden slacker-teens the world over, and why I think they're over-rated.

Looking at it another way: Kurt Cobain is the highest-earning "dead artist" in the world, his estate allegedly raking in $250 million a year, (or some ridiculous figure), which I suspect may surpass the lifetime earnings of the entirety of bands/artists that influenced or inspired him (including Black Sabbath and REM!). (Or maybe not: somebody fetch my calculator ;) ). Probably also exceeds the combined incomes of Elvis Presley and John Lennon.

And for what? Arguably, a maximum of three good albums. I'm counting "Nevermind", "In Utero" and "Unplugged": "Bleach" was a bog-standard punk-rock album, surpassed by countless bands operating in the field at that time, "Incesticide" is a disjointed collection of varying quality: out-takes, cover versions, etc. So, yeah... three good albums...yet easily out-earning the likes of Elvis, Lennon, Hendrix...Sounds over-rated, if you ask me...