RIAA, People sharing MP3's being sued

Mike

I really wrestled with where to post this topic. It's not a new topic, it's intermitantly "news" and a really interesting developing phenominon over the last 8 years. I really think this topic, in this context, belongs here in music discussion. Not legal downloading, because it's, at least by many, considered "illegal".

What I'm asking is for discussion of the topic, spirited debate without judgement.

I think about this subject and suddenly start hearing Joni Mitchell singing - Both Sides Now -.

Yes I understand the RIAA's, record company's, and artist's point of view with the free distribution of music among "peers".

But, without advocating to practice, the more I think about this, the more I think it's TWO WRONGS ... and as we were all taught as children... TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT.

Downloading a song someone else puchased may be wrong, but the song had to have been purchased at some point, (unless the RIAA is willing to allege the original "file" was stolen from a music store). So it's the copying or sharing of the music that has them vexed. And it's on a mammoth scale with the current technology. Furthermore they can easily exploit this technology to discover the sources of these SHARED FILES. Then accuse these "sharers" of violating the law.

Funny, how when I recorded songs off the radio hundreds of times in the seventies and eighties, and there was NO WAY IN HELL the RIAA could catch me doing this, they didn't even know or care. Or did they? I never heard them state any objections through the media of people coping music off the radio. I'm sure they knew it was at least possible. This prevented me from "BUYING IT", was I stealing? If I record music off the radio now... and burn it to a non music CD (data CD, there fore cheating the music industry out of even a few pennies) AM I STEALING THE MUSIC? I never paid for it!!

With todays equipment you can get nearly cd quality sound this way over the radio. (unlike the 70's and 80's with tape).

I'm with you, Mike. Every time I hear about this subject, I think of all the mixed tapes I made back in the day to give to people. I recorded songs from the radio, too. Nobody cared. But I can see the danger in the ease of technology in today's times. I download the occasional song here and there, but I always buy the CD if I want more than one song from it. I do know people who download entire CDs from peer to peer sharing places. That's wrong to me. I like to be either pro or con with most issues, but I'm on the fence with this one.

Yeah, but back then you had the DJ's talking over at least the first 5 seconds of the song, the last bit of the song, that annoying tape hiss, it's not like the stuff today. Then you had to sit and wait for hours for your favorite song, I don't know about you guys but I had to point my ghetto blaster at a different radio and record that way. And half of my recordings, you got my Dad screaming my name to come for dinner. And then mine, "SHUT UP! I'M TAPING!" (That one directed at my sister...). I can see why they get bent out of shape. With the file sharing programs out now, no waiting for your favorite song, and CD quality songs, instantly.

Hahaha.. yep... the phrase "turn that CRAP down" does come to mind. :laughing:

I was very meticulous however about some stuff. Remember album side play late at night... I was all over that. You're right though, you sacrificed quality, indeed, even over the snap, crackle, pop of aging vinyl. How many pennies do I need to stack on the needle arm THIS time to keep that damn song from skipping, especially irritating during the solos. }:(

How do you solve the age old problem of technology taking over your format? Create a new format.

How do you lose the battle of wits? Keep talking.

The RIAA is letting this whole thing slip through their fingers, soon they will be quite superfluous in the music distribution game if they don't evolve with technology. I've read a lot of stories about counter-suits, and the due cause element. Things are going to be getting very interesting... very soon.

I recorded great stuff off the radio. There were many live concerts that I guess would be considered bootlegs.....I miss that era actually.

Me too... I still have some of those tapes... :cool: And sure, I had plenty of tapes I recorded from my albums too, not only from the radio, to listen to in the car, and later on, compilations for my walkman...

Phillips makes double-tape recorders (te record from tape to tape) and they are also a record company. The same goes for Sony now... they fought piracy ("taping is killing music") but they made the machines to do it... :P

I think it's the best thing that's happened to music in recent years, I actually doubt rock would still be alive if it were not for illegal downloading. I don't think suing random people is going to help anyone at all. I think illegal downloading helps artists much more than it hurts them. Or, it helps actual artists. It's mostly harmful to the puppets referred to as "musicians" that the labels use to make money with no regard or concept of art.

However, I also think it's important to support artists you like, and hey, we all have to make a living, so it's not like one side of this issue is completely correct.

• 2 weeks later...