20 Worst Lyrics

Levis

Mid 80's hit in the UK called 'Kiss Me' by Stephen 'TinTin' Duffy (no I don't know why he called himself Tintin and nor do I care :P )

the chorus went

'kiss me with your mouth

your love is better than wine

but wine is all I have

will your love ever be mine?'

dreadful eh?

I kind of like it :P

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid 80's hit in the UK called 'Kiss Me' by Stephen 'TinTin' Duffy (no I don't know why he called himself Tintin and nor do I care :P )

the chorus went

'kiss me with your mouth

your love is better than wine

but wine is all I have

will your love ever be mine?'

dreadful eh?

If the language seems a little archaic, 'tis because the lyric is a biblical quote.

Someone more enlightened than me might even know the chapter and verse?

One can scarcely get through a review of the Manic Street Preachers classic album "The Holy Bible" without mention of a particular lyric thereupon. It must have been highlighted in the album's accompanying press release, I guess, because, without fail, every review mentioned it at the time. More recent retrospective critiques of The Holy Bible tend to perpetuate the notion that this lyric really is something special that demands your serious attention.

"Scratch my leg on a rusty nail. Sadly, it heals"

(from "Die In The Summertime")

The youth of the nation obviously found this mind-blowingly profound, and, in homage to its wonder, took up the practice of self-mutilation in their droves.

Me? I'm still mystified.

The fact that its so bad makes it good in my eyes.

I read to deeply into things and i don't know the song but hey...

The rusty nail is symbolic of a good and useful thing gone bad, such as life or love or what not, and the fact that it was a scrach and not a cut means it was brief and fletting where a once useful thing was seen as not being useful anymore, so when the scrach which was a reminded of the un-usefulness of the thing sybolised, healed, the reminded was lost and therefore it was a sad thing to heal as the thing symbolised is soon though of as useful again as there is no reminder to say that it isn't useful any more...

My opinion on a truelly bad yet awesome lyric..

Congratulations on a fantastic extrapolation. It's a little bewildering in places, because of the stream-of-consciousness approach, but...wow! "Respect due" as Stouffer The Cat would say.

It's interesting you focus mainly on the nail, the perversion of its normal function and the potential significance of its corroded condition.

I've always perceived the scratching of the leg with a rusty nail as a deliberate act, rather than accidental. The rustiness of the nail is important only because it enhances the likelihood that the resulting wound will become nasty, infected. The sadness about the wound healing is rooted in the self-loathing that caused him to mutilate himself in the first place. I guess.

(from "Die In The Summertime")

No offense, Bloof and B-F, but do you think the composer actually put as much thought into those lyrics as you did? It sounds more to me like he had a death wish. It seems a lot of modern rockers fashion their lyrics to make one "believe" they are depressed and on the verge of death (Cobain, for instance); it's a great sales gimmick. He may also be trying to appeal to the "cutters" of the world. And if I remember correctly, isn't Richey Edwards the dude that "went missing" and his body was never found. He's probably now working as a stockboy in a Michigan supermarket alongside Jim Morrison and the assistant manager, Elvis Presley.

But stockboy or not, I see no symbolism in there at all. The lyrics seem pretty straightforward - the man wanted to die....or at least make people think he wanted to die.

I've never actually heard the song, but I think it's a pretty good lyric, if it truly is his mindset at the time. If he just wrote it to make his potential fans think he's fatalistic, then he's what the younger generation likes to call "a pose(u)r". The world may never know.

But either way, I think it's a pretty cool lyric, and it definitely doesn't belong in this thread with the likes of some of those other class-A boners.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon:

By way of retort, I put it to you that the author of this line probably did want it to be the centre of attention, and to be analysed to the nth degree. It's not an outrageously great line, yet it features time and again in the album reviews. Why? I suggest it's because it was deliberately highlighted as being "significant" in some way or another by the band's publicists as part of the hype surrounding the album, so that all the journos would pick up on it. Ok, I'm probably over-egging the pudding in proposing it as one of the worst lyrics ever; evidently it isn't. But I threw it into the mix, because 'taint that good either and really didn't justify the hype, y'know?

Incidentally, I misquoted it originally. It should have been "Scratch my leg with a rusty nail...". (And yes, it does make a difference).

it does have a whole new meaning for me...

"scratching ON a nail" suggests for me that it happened by accident, he went along his way, didn't see the nail and scratched his leg

"scratching WITH a nail" has whole other meaning, I interpret that as a voluntary act, he got himself a rusty nail for the purpose of self inflicted wounds/hurt

Goodbye, Sam"

Cliff Richard

Goodbye Sam hello Samantha

Sam

I'm leavin' the gang

so don't come around for me on Sunday.

Joe

I want you to know

I'll have to skip the game on Monday.

Had a whole lot of fun

but now the time has come

I need the sweet touch of a woman's love.

goodbye Joe hello Joanne.

suddenly need a new kind of company

someone to love me.

goodbye Lou hello Louise.

From today there'll be new games

for me to play

so good luck and goodbye Sam.

Guys you ought-a get wise

there's more to the world than pool and fishin'.

easy ridin' is fine

but look around see what you're missin'.

girls are waitin' in line

and now has come the time

I'm goin' out and I'm gonna get me some.

:P :P