9. Bed And Breakfast Man

10. Razor Blade Alley

11. Swan Lake

12. Rockin' In A Flat

13. Mummy's Boy

14. Madness

15. Chipmunks Are Go!

From the allmusic guide:

It's the sheer exuberance of it all that first smacks listeners straight across the head, that and the pure mayhem that careens wildly from the opening shout to the closing note. A musical roller coaster, a tear through a musical house of mirrors, along the way Madness grab streamers of ska and rocksteady and stuff them gleefully into their baggy trousers. Actually the trousers were yet to come, but One Step Beyond dragged listeners kicking and screaming into a wacky world of their own creation, where Prince Buster slams into swan-clad ballerinas and boats on the Nile, where "Chipmunks are Go!" and the sun never set on the "Land of Hope and Glory." The Nutty Boys was an apt alternate moniker for the band, as they rocket madly through this set, all wicked grins and giggles, smug with their own cleverness and winking slyly at their own goofy musical jokes. Who could be so po-faced as to not join in? The set has lost none of its freshness, appeal or ability to surprise over the years.

There's nary a pause for breath, the wilding never stops, even when they slow the tempos and darken the moods. Amidst this kaleidoscope everyone has their personal faves, be it the trio of Buster tributes of "One Step Beyond," "The Prince" and "Madness," the poppier Sixties Brit flavored hat trick of "In the Middle of the Night," "Bed and Breakfast" and "Mummy's Boy," the heavy on the atmospheres of "My Girl," "Nightboat to Cairo" and "Razorblade Alley" or the wacky batch of "Tarzan's Nuts," "Swan Lake" and "Chipmunks." No matter what your cup of tea, Madness were playing mother and more than happy to pour it out with lashings of cream and sugar. One Step Beyond? More like a giant leap into a brave new world.

The Smiths - Singles

75979.jpg

Love the album, love nearly all the songs. I don't know how die-hard Smithers would feel about it, but for someone who doesn't own all the other albums, this was a welcome one to my collection.

All the well known ones are on there - Ask, Girlfriend in a coma, Panic, There is a Light That Never Goes Out, How Soon Is Now? and Hand in Glove - enough to introduce anyone to this fantastic band, and satisfyingly plump enough for a fan.

I found listening to this album made me more interested in the band and in Morrissey as a solo artist. His voice is incredibly emotional and compelling lyrics of lost love and other such tragedies seal the deal.

1. Hand In Glove

2. This Charming Man

3. What Difference Does It Make?

4. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

5. William, It Was Really Nothing

6. How Soon Is Now?

7. Shakespeare's Sister

8. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore

9. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

10. Bigmouth Strikes Again

11. Panic

12. Ask

13. Shoplifters of The World Unite

14. Sheila Take A Bow

15. Girlfriend In A Coma

16. I Started Something I Couldn't Finish

17. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

18. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

I'd like to nominate one of the best singer - songwriters ever, Curtis Mayfield. I think his anthology collection is excellent. Whenever I'm stuck in traffic, ( which is often in San Diego), I put it on and I instantly feel better.

cmzx9.jpg

I feel Mayfield is often overlooked and this recording proves how great he was. From his early work with his group the Impressions ( which included the Ice Man Jerry Butler, to his socially conscious work in the 1970's, his sound is unique and smooth. One look at the song list, ( Gypsy Woman, People Get Ready, Freddie's Dead, Pusherman and the spacey Check Out Your Mind and you can see the brilliance of Mayfield. Rollig Stone magazine ranked it 173 in its top 500 albums of all time.

Playlist:

Disc one

"Gypsy Woman"

"Grow Closer Together"

"Never Let Me Go"

"Little Young Lover"

"Minstrel and Queen"

"I'm the One Who Loves You"

"Sad Sad Girl and Boy"

"It's All Right"

"Talking About My Baby"

"I'm So Proud"

"Keep on Pushing"

"You Must Believe Me"

"See the Real Me"

"Amen"

"I've Been Trying"

"People Get Ready"

"It's Hard to Believe"

"Woman's Got Soul"

"Meeting Over Yonder"

"I Need You"

"You've Been Cheatin'"

"Man Oh Man"

"Can't Satisfy"

"We're a Winner"

"I Loved and I Lost"

"We're Rolling On (Part One)"

[edit]

Disc two

"Fool For You"

"This is My Country"

"Choice of Colors"

"Check Out Your Mind"

"Move On Up" - Curtis Mayfield

"(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go" - Curtis Mayfield

"The Makings of You" - Curtis Mayfield

"Beautiful Brother of Mine" - Curtis Mayfield

"Freddie's Dead" - Curtis Mayfield

"Superfly" - Curtis Mayfield

"Pusherman" - Curtis Mayfield

"So In Love" - Curtis Mayfield

"Only You Babe" (single edit) - Curtis Mayfield

"Do Do Wap is Strong in Here" (single edit) -

atmpvg4.jpg

This is an extraordinary collection of Harrisons works as a Beatle in the mid-late 60's.

Originally a 3 album set, tranfer to CD it's 2 discs. Two recordss on orange apple labels with a third having an apple jam (jar) label, which was more or les outakes, or "jams".

An ear-pleasure of wonderful songs. Formally recognising Harrison and a stand alone act.

Release in November of 1970

1. I'd Have You Anytime

2. My Sweet Lord

3. Wah-Wah

4. Isn't It A Pity (Version One)

5. What Is Life

6. If Not For You

7. Behind That Locked Door

8. Let It Down

9. Run Of The Mill

10. Beware Of Darkness

11. Apple Scruffs

12. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)

13. Awaiting On You All

14. All Things Must Pass

Disc: 2

1. I Dig Love

2. Art Of Dying

3. Isn't It A Pity (Version Two)

4. Hear Me Lord

5. Out Of The Blue

6. It's Johnny's Birthday

7. Plug Me In

8. I Remember Jeep

9. Thanks For The Pepperoni

vhddfe1.jpg

My favorite VH album has alway been their first, but when (Oh) Pretty Woman came on the radio in April of 1982 I had to run right out and buy this 8-track. I bought simply for that song alone. But soon be came enamored with the whole album, especially Dancing in the streets and Little guitars. The summer of '82 was a big one for me with "traveling music". This was a staple in my player all summer long.

A great mix of different kinds of songs.

Trivia

•Five of the twelve songs are covers!

•Eddie and Alex Van Halen's father, Jan, plays clarinet on "Big Bad Bill."

•The music video for (Oh) Pretty Woman was one of the first banned by MTV

•(Oh) Pretty Woman took one day to record.

•The whole album took 12 days to record.

1."Where Have All the Good Times Gone?" (Ray Davies)

2."Hang 'Em High"

3."Cathedral"

4."Secrets"

5."Intruder"

6."(Oh) Pretty Woman" (William Dees, Roy Orbison)

7."Dancing in the Street" (Marvin Gaye, Ivy Hunter, William Stevenson)

8"Little Guitars (Intro)"

9."Little Guitars"

10."Big Bad Bill" (Milton Ager, Jack Yellen)

11."The Full Bug"

12."Happy Trails" (Dale Evans)

eelsbluesuo5.jpg

Eels ~ Electro-Shock Blues

Track listing

1. "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor" (Mark Everett) – 2:08

2. "Going to Your Funeral, Pt. 1" (Mark Everett/Jim Jacobsen/Parthenon Huxley) – 2:37

3. "Cancer for the Cure" (Mark Everett/Mickey Petralia) – 4:46

4. "My Descent Into Madness" (Mark Everett/Michael Simpson/Dan Houston/Dan Nakamora) – 3:54

5. "3 Speed" (Mark Everett) – 2:45

6. "Hospital Food" (Mark Everett/Jim Lang/Butch Norton) – 3:23

7. "Electro-Shock Blues" (Mark Everett/Mickey Petralia) – 2:29

8. "Efils' God" (Mark Everett/Michael Simpson) – 3:19

9. "Going to Your Funeral, Pt. 2" (Mark Everett/Jim Jacobsen) – 1:30

10. "Last Stop: This Town" (Mark Everett/Michael Simpson) – 3:27

11. "Baby Genius" (Mark Everett/Jim Lang) – 2:04

12. "Climbing to the Moon" (Mark Everett) – 3:38

13. "Ant Farm" (Mark Everett) – 2:11

14. "Dead of Winter" (Mark Everett) – 2:59

15. "The Medication Is Wearing Off" (Mark Everett/Mickey Petralia) – 3:51

16. "P.S. You Rock My World" (Mark Everett) – 3:08

While not nearly as (commercially) successful as their first album "Beautiful Freak", "Electro-Shock Blues" has much more depth imho.

Most songs are about Death, Loss, Sickness, Pain etc. this is because Eels' frontman Mark Everett ("E") lost both his sister to a suicide and his mother to lung cancer within a short time of each other, so it shouldn't be surprising that "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor" (pieced together from the last diary entrys of his sister) and "Dead of Winter" (a song that concerns his mother's painful cancer radiation treatment and slow death)are two of the most depressing songs that I know.

And with "PS You Rock my World" it even has a hopeful, hesitatingly optimistic end of the album...

[...]the result is a spectacular epic work, easily on par with such classic albums cut from the same cloth -- Neil Young's Tonight's the Night, Lou Reed's Magic and Loss

One of the finest and fully realized records of 1998, a must-hear.

Last Stop: This Town ~ Eels

csnyld0.png

Released on March 11, 1970

Déjà Vu is the second album Crosby, Stills & Nash, and their first as Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.

This album peaked at #1 on the Billboard 200 album chart, generating three top 40 singles in the process: "Teach Your Children," "Our House," and "Woodstock."

With its incredible mix of country and rock accents, the mystification intrinsic in its various points of view emerging from four distinct personalities, and its entrenching of counterculture ideals. This album rates among some of the finest in all rock/folk history in music.

1. Carry On

2. Teach Your Children

3. Almost Cut My Hair

4. Helpless

5. Woodstock

6. Deja Vu

7. Our House

8. 4 + 20

9. Country Girl: Whiskey Boot Hill/Down, Down, Down/"Country Girl" (I Think You're Pretty)

10. Everybody I Love You

• 2 weeks later...

I nominate "Synchronicity" by The Police

From allmusic.com

Although the Police's fifth release, 1983's Synchronicity, would be their most commercially successful and lead to a sold-out tour of enormodomes (including New York's Shea Stadium), it would turn out to be the trio's final album and tour. Like all Police recordings, Synchronicity contains some obvious "filler" (such as the silly dinosaur tale of "Walking in Your Footsteps" and the almost unlistenable "Mother"), but for the most part, it's exceptional. One of 1983's biggest singles, the haunting "Every Breath You Take" is an obvious highlight, as well as other hits — the cacophonous rocker "Synchronicity II," plus the far more temperate "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and "King of Pain." Also included are the oft-overlooked tracks "O My God," "Synchronicity I" (used as a concert opener on the ensuing tour), "Tea in the Sahara," "Murder by Numbers," and the Stewart Copeland original "Miss Gradenko." Few other albums from 1983 merged tasteful pop, sophistication, and expert songwriting as well as Synchronicity did, resulting in yet another all-time classic.

Ok, with exactly "one week" remaining in the month, it's time for me to bring out the big guns.

Here it is -

All The World's a Stage

Disc one: 40:00

1. Bastille day (4:59)

2. Anthem (4:57)

3. Fly by night / In the mood (5:05)

4. Something for nothing (4:03)

5. Lakeside Park (5:05)

6. 2112: 15:51

I) Overture (4:17)

II) Temples of Syrinx (2:13)

III) Presentation (4:29)

IV) Soliloquy (2:25)

V) Grand finale (2:27)

Disc two: 39:13

1. By-Tor and the snowdog (12:01)

2. In the end (7:14)

3. Working man / Drum solo / Finding my way (14:20)

4. What you're doing (5:38)

Total Time: 79:13

Rush's first US Top 40 charting album and would go Gold alongside A Farewell to Kings and 2112 on November 16, 1977. All the World's A Stage was certified Platinum in 1981 after the release of Moving Pictures.

The album was recorded at Massey Hall in Toronto on June 11th, 12th and 13th during their 2112 tour.

Perhaps the best guitar playing ever is exhibited on the 7th. track of this live album, By-Tor And The Snow Dog played out at nearly twelve minutes, but you'ld hardly believe it, because when it's over, you still want to hear more.

Back in this day these three had so much energy, and ever song is played with the ultimate attention to detail and intesity that one could possibly imagine. A real treat! Possible the best live album ever made by the the Toronto Trio.

atwaspo7.png

mobyplayfrontmw7.jpg

Play ~ Moby

Track listing

1. "Honey" – 3:28

2. "Find My Baby" – 3:59

3. "Porcelain" – 4:01

4. "Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?" – 4:24

5. "South Side" – 3:49

6. "Rushing" – 3:00

7. "Bodyrock" – 3:36

8. "Natural Blues" – 4:13

9. "Machete" – 3:37

10. "7" – 1:02

11. "Run On" – 3:45

12. "Down Slow" – 1:34

13. "If Things Were Perfect" – 4:18

14. "Everloving" – 3:25

15. "Inside" – 4:48

16. "Guitar Flute & String" – 2:09

17. "The Sky Is Broken" – 4:18

18. "My Weakness" – 3:37

With 1999's Play, he made yet another leap back toward the electronica base that had passed him by during the mid-'90s. The first two tracks, "Honey" and "Find My Baby," weave short blues or gospel vocal samples around rather disinterested breakbeat techno. This version of blues-meets-electronica is undoubtedly intriguing to the all-important NPR crowd, but it is more than just a bit gimmicky to any techno fans who know their Carl Craig from Carl Cox. Fortunately, Moby redeems himself in a big way over the rest of the album with a spate of tracks that return him to the evocative, melancholy techno that's been a specialty since his early days. The tinkly piano line and warped string samples on "Porcelain" frame a meaningful, devastatingly understated vocal from the man himself, while "South Side" is just another pop song by someone who shouldn't be singing -- that is, until the transcendent chorus redeems everything. Surprisingly, many of Moby's vocal tracks are highlights; he has an unerring sense of how to frame his fragile vocals with sympathetic productions. Occasionally, the similarities to contemporary dance superstars like Fatboy Slim and Chemical Brothers are just a bit too close for comfort, as on the stale big-beat anthem "Bodyrock." Still, Moby shows himself back in the groove after a long hiatus, balancing his sublime early sound with the breakbeat techno evolution of the '90s.

Run on ~ Moby

Bodyrock Moby

Natural Blues ~ Moby

South Side ~ Moby

and my favourite:

Porcelain ~ Moby

I put this here for diversity reasons...

now someone has to put up a HipHop album... :grin: