Things and people you miss...

Uncle Joe

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much so , I'd think , outside of the odd 'ghetto' in other parts ...Also , without a domestic context , Japanese is such a vague language that even native speakers would likely refuse it outside of Japan , unless they had no other option . I don't give it long in terms of the history of the world ...

Edited by Guest

It'll likely be introduced as slang to English , then , in certain ways - harakiri , banzai , etc.. Yeah ... that's definately a fad - and a damn sick one ( meaning girlish or teen talk ) , to boot ! :D

Edited by Guest

You all should ban them . They are absolute crap- which is a flavor the Swedish vodka Co . hasn't tried yet ...

Manga is for dorks , even the Japanese admit that but never so crudely nor in one's face .

Edited by Guest

Pretty much so , I'd think , outside of the odd 'ghetto' in other parts ...Also , without a domestic context , Japanese is such a vague language that even native speakers would likely refuse it outside of Japan , unless they had no other option . I don't give it long in terms of the history of the world ...

That pretty much applies to any language spoken only by the people within a country. Hell, the same thing could be said about German, Scandinavian languages, Korean, languages in Indochina, Hebrew, Greek, etc., etc., etc. The only resourceful languages seem to be those that are spoken by the most people, but, even then, when are you gonna use Hindu or Russian with a non-native? English is the most practical for the moment, but for a while it was Latin (a dead language, right there). With the way the US economy is going, it wouldn't be surprising if some other dark horse takes over and their language also becomes important throughout the world (please, please, pleeeease don't let it be any of the Chinese dialects).

Myself? I learned a few hiragana and katakana just 'cause I wanted to impress a girl. Wouldn't mind kickin' it in Japan for some time. After all, for me, everywhere is just a foreign town with a foreign mind :beatnik:

You all should ban them . They are absolute crap- which is a flavor the Swedish vodka Co . hasn't tried yet ...

Manga is for dorks , even the Japanese admit that but never so crudely nor in one's face .

I pulled a box outta the attic and it was full of the comic books I used to read (I threw out boxes of that stuff - mainly the "tankobons"). I can't help thinking that Maison Ikkoku never lost its appeal. There was a reason why I never got rid of those comics. The Japanese have truly mastered the art of the quotidian drama. I thought maybe the Colombians, Venezuelans, and Brasilians were good, but the Japanese are better - right down to their dorky comic books. Very few works make me wish I had never read, seen, and/or heard it just so I could find it again and be struck with that pleasant surprise at how good it is (it's a feeling akin to being in love for the first time) :beatnik: