FIFA World Cup 2006

Farin

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching Desperate Wives and then at midnight I realised there were no screams or signs of joy on the streets. That would mean France won... well, congrats, Frenchs! :) Now, I expect other things from my country than to win a silly soccer throphy... :shades:

It's just before the England v Brazil match. Ronaldinho goes into the

Brazilian changing room to find all his team-mates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's

important but it's only England. They're rubbish and we can't be bothered."

Ronaldinho looks at them and says, "Well, I reckon I can beat them by

myself-you lads go down the pub."

So Ronaldinho goes out to play England by himself and the rest of the

Brazilian team go off for a few jars.

After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the

landlord to put the teletext on.

A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "Brazil 1 - England 0 (Ronaldinho

10 minutes)".

He is beating England all by himself!

Anyway, a few pints later and the game is forgotten until someone

remembers, "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on." They put

the teletext on.

"Result from the Stadium 'Brazil 1 (Ronaldinho 10 minutes) - England 1

(Lampard 89 minutes)."

They can't believe it; he has single-handedly got a draw against England!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldinho. They find him in

the dressing room, still in his gear, sitting with his head in

his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you

down."

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against England, all by yourself. And they

only scored at the very, very end!"

"No, no, I have, I've let you down...I got sent off after 12 minutes."

:shocked: :)

The trouble with my timezone is, that by the time I can comment on the match, it's long gone and everyone's moved on and are over it. :mad:

But, anyway... I think Ghana put up a good fight. Damn good considering it's their first world cup and they STILL managed to hold Brazil at 3 which might even have been 2 because from what I'm hearing that second goal was offside. And they ALMOST made a goal so many times... :(

But, anyway... I think Ghana put up a good fight. Damn good considering it's their first world cup and they STILL managed to hold Brazil at 3 which might even have been 2 because from what I'm hearing that second goal was offside. And they ALMOST made a goal so many times...

Yes, and would have scored incessantly were it not for the good fortune that Brazil employed a goalie.

Again, the second goal was clearly legal (that is why it was allowed) because a defender touched the ball before it was kicked into the net by Brazil.

Ghana played an extremely daring, tenacious, up-tempo game that wore me out just watching them run up and down the field, most of the time faster than the Brazilians. But they lacked touch around the net. A Ghana player almost scored a goal for the Brazilians by heading a ball at high speed toward his goalie. The goalie made one of his best stops of the day to keep it from going in.

In the opinion of most sports analysts, talk shows and of futebol fans in general here, Brazil must play a very improved game if it is to bring home the Cup. Many blame the coach who is iron-willed in his theory that once a goal is scored, the team should go on a defensive clampdown and take no further risks. Because Brazil has so many creative players, most feel this clampdown is corraling wild stallions. The team, they say, if given the green light, might be a scoring machine.

As someone who was yawning at the start of this tournament, I must admit I am becoming a convert and am being carried into the fray within the crowd of my adopted countrymen. The intensity of dire concern and exhuberant joy one sees during a Cup party is interesting. But moreso is the fact that after the game is over, the party hosting the fans' interpersonal relationships becomes the bigger event. This entire World Cup experience has been a lot of fun - win or lose!

'Guitar: what kind of reprehensible poltroon are you?

I think the phrase 'reprehensible poltroon' should immediately be entered into that other thread about...well, whatever it's about, you know, lovely words to say...great insults...whatever...I love :) the idea of being a reprehensible poltroon....

I'm off to engage in further poltroonery..... ;)

PS Kudos to the French...great victory last night....looking goood!

' The Golden Boot ' has got to be the stupidist trophy in team sports ! Who cares who scores the most ?! ( for the money their making , 3 a game ain't too much to ask ! ) It's always a forward who has been set up by his team mates . An MVP ( Most valuable player ) would be much more rewarding , IMO ... I've my own sense of the golden boot ... }:|}:|:D

Actually there is a Award for the most valuable player.

All Awards:

* The Adidas Golden shoe (formerly called the Golden Shoe, or, sometimes, the Golden Boot, first awarded in 1930) for top goal scorer;

* The Adidas Golden Ball for best player (formerly called the Golden Ball, first awarded in 1982);

* The Yashin Award for best goalkeeper (first awarded in 1994);

* The FIFA Fair Play Award for the team with the best record of fair play (first awarded in 1978);

* The Most Entertaining Team award for the team that has entertained the public the most during the World Cup final tournament, as determined by a poll of the general public, first awarded in 1994;

* The Gillette Best Young Player award for best player under 21 years of age at the start of the calendar year, which will be awarded for the first time in 2006.

from Wikipedia

Gillette? The shaving-razors-company?

Ha.

That's one way of getting more customers.

So. Well---I mean they get millions of dollars and pounds and euros and whatnot for playing football, so why shouldn't they get awards for entertaining the public? It's like the Olympics, only ridiculous.

So today is the possibly best match in the World Cup:

Quarter final - Germany vs Argentina (17:00 CET ~ 11 AM Eastern Time)

The one who wins (Germany) will get World Champion, imho...

What about Brazil? I think they´re the best...

Not if they play like in the first matches. There they had just a few good scenes and because they have quite a few very, very good players they made their goals then, but they didn't convince me of being the best team. They will get in the final, but the best in the tournament are Germany and Argentina...