• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #396

This week there is 7(seven) songs needing facts.

Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #397

1. Sinful Love – Blue Oyster Cult (1976)

2. What's Next To The Moon? – AC/DC (1978)

3. I Was Wrong – Social Distortion (1996)

4. Detox Mansion – Warren Zevon (1987)

5 .Walls (Circus) – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (1996)

6. Apostrophe' – Frank Zappa (1979)

7.I Count The Tears – Ben E. King and the Drifters (1960)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

What's Next To The Moon? - AC/DC

The provocative "What's next to the moon" is roughly a stream-of-conscience poem structured quite unlike any other AC/DC song. Accompanied by a patterned guitar phrase woven trough the meter of Phil's voodoo tom-tom syncopation, Bon the bard recites, to some extent, cryptic musings such as "Heavenly body fly across the sky, Superman was out of town. Come on honey, gotta change your tune, cause it's a long way down."

Another unusual dramatic touch in "What's next to the moon" occurs in the last verse, which Bon, Malcolm and Cliff sing together in distinct voices, beginning with "Long arm looking for a fingerprint, trying to find the mystery clue. Hitting me with the third degree, working on a thumb screw."

As for the meaning of "What's next to the moon" Bon leaves only a hint in the guitar agitated closing refrain:"If not the sky, oh baby,say bye-bye."

(Ernie Welch - Powerage booklet)

What's Next To The Moon? - AC/DC

From the album "Powerage" released in 1978. Written by Malcolm Young, Angus Young & Bon Scott.

The song itself never made the charts, although it (along with Ride On) was different than any other AC/DC song. With the backing vocals being sung during verses (instead of only the chorus) & with no guitar solo from Angus. A second mix of the track had included a solo, which was received with mixed opinions. "What's Next To The Moon?" and "Ride On" aren't part of AC/DC's touring setlist as Brian Johnson feels he couldn't do either song justice.

(I hope that's enough info...)

Edited by Guest

"I Was Wrong"

Social Distortion

Written by Mike Ness.

A track from their 1997 "White Light, White Heat, White Trash", previously released as a CD singleon the same year.

It's about the author's feeling of having been wrong with his rebellious attitude when he was young, both with society and himself.

The song made #4 on the Modern Rock Tracks chart, #12 on Mainstream Rock Tracks and #54 on

Hot 100 Airplay.

"Detox Mansion"

Warren Zevon

Written by Jorge Calderon and Warren Zevon.

A track of his album "Sentimental Hygiene", released in August 1987.

Zevon talks about his issues with drugs in this song.

It was the fourth single released from the album but it did't get to chart.

"I Count The Tears"

Ben E. King and the Drifters

Written by Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman.

Released as a single in 1960. On of the last songs Ben E. King recorded with The Drifters.

After “Save the Last Dance for Me” made #1 in the US charts and #2, Atlantic Records released “I Count the Tears”, B-sided by “Suddenly There’s a Valley” in December 1960.

Produced by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, it made #17 in the Pop Charts on January 1961 and #6 on the Hot R&B list.

In 1966, The Rokes (a british band living in Italy) released a song called “Piangi Con Me” (“Cry with Me”), written by David Shapiro and Ivan Mogull, with a very similar chorus than "I Count The Tears". The song then was recorded in English by the Rokes as well, called "Let's Live For Today". The Grass Roots recorded and released their version in 1967.

The "Sha-la-la" chorus is very similar to The Drifters' hit "I Count the Tears," which Pomus and Shuman wrote. Pomus was upset about the obvious similarity, and even though lawyers called him to suggest that he should sue, he did not. The main reason was because he was not that kind of person. If you were a thief and stole from him, as long as he could still support himself and his family (and no one was physically injured of course) he would let it go. He felt that you'd get what you deserved in the end. The other reason was that at the time the song was released he was under contract with Hill & Range (later to become Warner/Chappell) and they would have had the authority to sue and not him. (thanks to Geoffrey J Felder, son of Doc Pomus, for above 2).

"Apostrophe'"

Frank Zappa

Written by Frank Zappa, Jim Gordon and Jack Bruce.

A track from his "Apostrophe'" LP, released in March 22, 1974.

It's an instrumental jam where Jack Bruce plays bass and Jim Gordon plays drums.

It wasn't released as a single.

Bruce joked saying in an interview for Tylko Magazine that he actually played cello, not bass on the song.

Bruce learned cello as a child and plays it on some of his other recordings

..his cello comments regarding "Apostrophe (')" can't be taken seriously, because the only cello featured on the album is contained in the opening of the title track. His bass playing on "Apostrophe (')" does in fact sound at times very much like the bass lines that he played with Cream.

"Walls (Circus)"

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Written by Tom Petty

A track of his 1996 album, "Songs and Music from "She's the One"", a soundtrack for the movie "She's The One".

The song was released as a single on July 29th, 1966, as a CD. It was the only single from the album.

Lindsey Buckingham sings background vocals. The song made #69 on Billboard Hot 100 and #6 on Billboard Album Rock Tracks.

Hahahaha, thank you, Ray, you're good... ;) :thumbsup:

It just happens to be my favorite AC/DC song. Not much info about it (because it wasn't released as a single) so I had to use my book. Luckily I know alot about the song or you'd only have the album & release date! :laughing: :wink:

The Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #397

This week there is 5(five) songs needing facts.

Songfactor's Choice Top 10 #397

1.Same Old Blues – Eric Clapton (1985)

2. The Best Of Times – Styx (1981)

3. No More Lonely Nights – Alvin Lee (1980)

4. Tearin' Out My Heart – Rainbow (1982)

5.Social Disease – Elton John (1973)

If you have any info on any of the songs mentioned anywhere in this thread, please feel free to post your knowledge here. Submissions on songs will be collated and sent to the main site and you will receive credit for your contribution.

As always the Songfish thanks you

:guitar: :drummer: :rock:

"Same Old Blues"

Eric Clapton

Written by Clapton.

A track of his album "Behind The Sun", recorded in 1984 and released in March 1985.

It was written while he was ending his marriage with Pattie Boyd.

As usual, there was some effective guitar soloing (notably on "Same Old Blues")

Mark Knopfler played rythm guitar onstage in "Same Old Blues", in the After Midnight tour, 1988 and the Montserrat charity show in 1997.

The Best Of Times – Styx

"The Best of Times" is the first single release from Styx's 1981 triple-platinum album Paradise Theater. It reached #1 in Canada on the RPM national singles chart, their second #1 in that country, and #3 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100.

The basic melody line for "The Best of Times" is used in two other places on the album: As a bold greeting to the listener in "A.D. 1928", and a softer, more subdued version for the farewell track, "A.D. 1958".

The song was featured in the 1999 movie Big Daddy, in which Adam Sandler's character, as well as Sandler himself, is a Styx fan.

-wiki-