What will concerts be in the future?

This has been on my mind as of late since some classic rock bands are talking about not touring anymore. I wonder what the future holds. These are bands that I have been listening too since I was a kid basically and have seen in concert over the years and to think that someday they won't be on tour, it just sucks. There are some new artists I like, but it won't be the same. Imagine no Stones...Aerosmtih...Eagles...Bad Company...ZZ Top...Tom Petty...James Taylor..Allman Brothers...Bruce Springsteen...John Mellencamp...Stevie Nicks...and so on!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Much as I hate to think about it, the future for the "I-ain't- touring-no-more" big names may be at a certain computer manufacturer's online music store. (There's been a backlash against the iPod, Apple, The iTunes Music Store, and Podcasts, so I won't mention them at all...Oops!) Yes, the next Classic Rock concertlet may be coming to a portable video/music player instead of the traditional concert venue. It all looks so "Futurama" to me. :stars:

Ah yes, current CD releases' liner notes are enlightening. However, if the artist/group was active during the 12 inch LP days, CD liner notes text can be too small to see without a 5X magnifier. (And Presbyopia doesn't help, either.) Given the choice between trying to download an iTunes .aac track on Ye Ancient dialup connection and a physical CD, I'll take the plastic disk. Which reminds me, my sister has been bugging me about turning an LP that didn't make to CD into a noisy, crackly music CD! OK, where's the functioning turntable? =:P

Much as I hate to think about it, the future for the "I-ain't- touring-no-more" big names may be at a certain computer manufacturer's online music store. (There's been a backlash against the iPod, Apple, The iTunes Music Store, and Podcasts, so I won't mention them at all...Oops!) Yes, the next Classic Rock concertlet may be coming to a portable video/music player instead of the traditional concert venue. It all looks so "Futurama" to me. :stars:

That's really scary, having concerts on portable music players or whatever would take away the whole atmosphere of live music.

And as for the whole ipod thing, i'm in that generation and i do download music, but only as a temporary means of listening to music on my computer before I buy the cd. A lot of my friends own ipods, but I don't, although I probably will end up buying one.

I too prefer having a physical cd with the original cover and liner notes, I like having an actually collection instead of just a list of songs in a file of the computer.

I'm hoping we will be at a technological stage where you can plug in a chip and literally download the concert, atmosphere and all, into your conciousness so you can see, hear, smell and experience it as if you were actually there - now that would be awesome! You could relive it over and over again, differently each time!

The "concert on a chip" suggestion reminds me of an old movie about Virtual Reality when such was out-there-in-the-ozone-Science-Fiction, "Brainstorm." While it hasn't happened yet, all one would have to worry about would be pressing "Stop." Otherwise, the temptation to stay "too long at the fair" approaches similar problems with Internet addicts. :beatnik:

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully live performances will remain. As others've already said on this thread, nothing can beat the atmosphere of a live concert. Unlike many people my age, I spend most of my saturday nights watching local bands play live in pubs or small venues.

Having said that, I do download a great deal of songs onto my pc. Unfortunately I live in a very small country where very few bands actually come on tour and CD's and other musical equipment are horribly expensive...

• 4 months later...

im like that too dude..im 15 and i cant stand all the new musical technology rubbish that seems to be taking over the world. i cant stand ipods and i cant stand downloading music onto computers. the original albums are just so much better and alot more real! the artists put the songs on the album excactly how they are for reasons, and they should stay on the album as they are and if a song is going to be listened to, i believe it should be listened to with the WHOLE album...no songs skipped...the WHOLE thing, just like the artist made it to be. groovy

If the Crapticular Events of WoodStock '94 & '99 were any indicator, there's not going to be much for music, talent wise. Shows used to be about joy, harmony, friendship, peace, & some meloncholy mixed in. Today concert venues are completely incorporately-corrupt; 10$ for bottled water, 55% chance of being violated by someone else, & standard seating (arena &/or general field admission) is nearly 225 yards from the stage (2 football fields), despite the average low-subwoofer range of the Marshall Amplifiers.

:guitar:

Yes, the next Classic Rock concertlet may be coming to a portable video/music player instead of the traditional concert venue.

This is something that Pete Townshend has been and as far as I know is still thinking about. He wanted to release the new Who album online instead (of course you'd have to pay nonetheless, via PayPal or whatever).

I hate that idea. It's so much better to have something real, not just some data on your computer. I download songs too, but if I want an album as a whole, then I go to a shop and buy it--I have to have it as an actual solid album.

townshend was capable of coming up with such a silly idea. its not real!

He's one of the best, & I don't want to infiltrate, but ever since about a decade or two ago, they've released a lot of marketed material that was made too exclusive to "people with money" & touring was made incapable to the public, as well as a lot of their songs on commercials. He's a fashist.

See "Is Townshend a Sellout?" thread

I hope that modern technology doesn't win out when it comes to concerts. I have been going to concerts since my early teens and I want my daughter to be able to experience seeing an artist perform live. Nothing will ever compare to being there, the people, the vibes, the artist singing live, and the ultimate high you come home with from a concert. I want to be going until I am no longer able to!!

Today concert venues are completely incorporately-corrupt; 10$ for bottled water, 55% chance of being violated by someone else, & standard seating (arena &/or general field admission) is nearly 225 yards from the stage (2 football fields), despite the average low-subwoofer range of the Marshall Amplifiers.

Oh, yes... :P:P That´s why I still enjoy live concerts at small clubs... that will always exist as it´s not a way to become a millionaire. Huge concerts have become exhausting...