Pete doherty is really starting to annoy me! what an idiot!

invisible_r

Pete Doherty arrested for second time today (nme)

Tonight's Newcastle gig is postponed

Pete Doherty has been arrested for the second time today (January 26).

The Babyshambles singer was stopped by police in London's Whitechapel this afternoon who searched him, and found what they suspected to be a Class A drug.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police told NME.COM: "At 15.05, officers on foot stopped and spoke with a 26 year old man in the street in Whitechapel, E1. The officers were concerned he was under of influence of drugs and a subsequent search of him led to the recovery of a substance believed to be a Class A drug."

He added: "He was arrested on suspicion of possession of drugs and is currently in custody at an east London police station."

Doherty had only been out of custody a matter of hours following an earlier arrest.

Babyshambles were due to continue their UK tour tonight at Newcastle University (January 26) but as Doherty is now unable to make it in time the show has been postponed.

For no other reason than "opportunism", I hereby enclose a copy of a "Readers Letter" I sent to the Oserver Music Monthly magazine back in November, (but which wasn't published) It just about sums up my views on this over-rated, under-talented pillock.

Re: Your "Pete Doherty Exclusives" (OMM Oct 2005)

The Observer is obviously so chuffed to announce its Pete Doherty Exclusives that it carries an article in the main paper to draw the readers attention to them, as if they represented real news. And what do we get? A young fan, somebody pointing at their arse, a half-hearted crowd-surfer, Doherty looking tired, and hey, some quite nice underpants. Distinctly underwhelming. The "secret diaries" reveal Doherty to be less the literary genius and more the pretentious prat.... (anyone who calls their diaries "The Books of Albion"...Doherty can't even spell "albion", in fact his spelling throughout is atrocious) The "drawing of Doherty given to him by a fan" is downright nauseating. Why are you giving space to such tosh? None of this would matter so much if Doherty were indeed "a rock legend", but he has yet to create anything, musically or lyrically, suggestive of lasting greatness. Plenty of the music-loving public have noticed this. When will someone in the music media have the courage to point out that the Emperor Isn't Wearing Any Clothes? The current fawning interest in every tedious move this charlatan makes is embarrassing.

Frankly, I wouldn't be that interested in his drug-taking at all (though by and large "heroin is for losers"), if there appeared to be any substance at all to his much-feted "artistic talent".

To be fair (to the guy I earlier described as "an over-rated , undertalented pillock"), he's a little more than "Kate Moss's on-off boyfriend / coke-buddy". He was originally in a group called "The Libertines" , who were touted as "The New Big Thing" (at least by the NME) about three years ago. Their debut album (produced by Mick Jones from The Clash) showed some promise, (worth about 7/10), being occasionally reminiscent of The Kinks, but, to me at least , resembled early Supergrass(only inferior). (Thinking about it, if you've not heard of Pete Doherty, you're probably not familiar with Supergrass either...)

The Libertines continued to be nothing more than "promising", and after a "roller-coaster ride" of highs and lows and temporary splits, mostly related to drugs and criminal behaviour, the band finally split when his colleagues couldn't tolerate the unreliable Doherty any longer and booted him out. Hence, he formed "Babyshambles": more unfulfilled promise. The dalliance with Kate Moss has been a relatively recent thing.

Doherty fancies himself as a "libertine,poet and troubador" in the tradition of William Blake, and is kinda cute in a "doe-eyed and, vulnerable" way that endears him to some; factors which (along with his drug-addiction and criminality) somehow combine to make him newsworthy despite a relative lack of talent or genuine "success". They (Babyshambles)still seem to be in the running for awards, though as far as I can see nobody is raving about how good their music is in the same way as they have done about, say, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, The Arctic Monkeys.

This has alot to do with the London-centric music media, which tends to turn up turds whilst remaining relatively oblivious to what's going on "out in the sticks" where the genuine talent is. Though that's only a personal view, of course.

I quite like the self-titled album by the Libertines, it has some good tracks like "music when the lights go out" and "can't stand me now". I had no idea they were so popular so briefly until I saw a whole documentary about them! babyshambles have some good tracks too, but the guy is such an idiot, any talent he may have is overshadowed by his idiocy! Plus, remember Live 8? wasn't he off his head when singing with elton john?

Well I "quite like" The Libertines myself, and some of his more recent stuff with Babyshambles. But in a way, our "quite like" opinion illustrates my point. They're a band one "quite likes", but they're not as good as Doherty himself or the media lap-dogs that support him think. Hence the music-listening public "quite likes" them, but isn't sure what there is to get really excited about. Whereas with the other bands I mentioned (FF, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys) people seem to be actually genuinely excited by them, for one reason and another.

Pete Doherty charge dropped (nme)

There was not enough evidence

Pete Doherty had a charge of driving under the influence of drugs dropped today (January 30) after a court heard there was not enough evidence to prove he was at the wheel of the car.

The Babyshambles singer was not present at the hearing, which took place at London's Thames Magistrates Court.

Due to an administrative error, Doherty was not brought to the court, instead he remained his cell in Pentonville Prison, where he is on remand after admitting drugs possession.

According to the Press Association, the court heard that Doherty was arrested on December 18 in Riverside Close in Clapton, east London, with four passengers in a blue Vauxhall at 9.20am.

The other people in the car fled, but the singer was searched and taken to Stoke Newington police station, where he was questioned for six hours.

At the time, a police spokesperson said that the car was stopped after it was spotted being "driven in an erratic manner".

Doherty was arrested as the driver.

However, prosecutor Mark Tavender told the court today that keys found on Doherty at the scene of the incident did not fit the car.

He explained: "This is an allegation of driving while unfit. The Crown believes there is not sufficient evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Mr Doherty was driving."

He added: "The vehicle had four passengers, they all decamped from the vehicle. The keys found on Mr Doherty did not fit the vehicle in question. On the basis that he is in custody waiting (on) drugs matters a decision has been made to withdraw the case."

Doherty is due back at Ealing Magistrates Court on February 8 to be sentenced over recent drug charges.