March Bandness

Aunt_Acid

I'll bet that the Stones beat out Pink Floyd. I can't believe I voted for Aerosmith over J Geils. The only J Geils song they play on there is Freeze Frame. Dear Lord, that song sucks. I just found out that J Geils did Give It To Me though, so now I'm kicking myself.

How the hell did Bob Seger beat Jimi Hendrix
It's Detroit. Also, Pink Floyd is loads better than the Beatles. This isn't just coming from the Pink Floyd fan in me, they went a lot deeper. Don't get me wrong though, The Beatles are great. Just really overrated. I think Zeppelin will win. It's a tough competition though. I really like Zeppelin. It's close, but I might say the Beatles. But Led Zeppelin wasn't all poppy and bubble gum like the Beatles at one point were. So LZ it is. I'll bet The Beatles win. But then again, if Led Zeppelin can beat Bob Seger, they can beat anyone.

Roger,

The fact that you say the Beatles were "poppy and bubblegum" in 1964 is a complete misinterpretation on your part long after the fact. Try listening to some, nay ANY, of the other Top 40 stuff from the early '60's. The Beatles took pop in a completely unique direction, even on those early songs. Listen to the harmonies, man. The weird chord changes. Even some of the early lyrics are earth shaking compared to nearly everything else on the radio in those days. Yeah, it's easy to look back 40 years later and say "Oh, the Beatles weren't all that great," but there would truly not have been any Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin without them. It may not look that way from this far off, but trust me, the Beatles were THE influential band. Now, if you want to say the Stones were grittier and rocked harder, I'll go with that. But to say Pink Floyd were somehow better than the Beatles because they "went deeper" misses the whole point. They only went deeper because they had a place to dig from. Dig?

The Beatles took pop in a completely unique direction, even on those early songs. Listen to the harmonies, man. The weird chord changes. Even some of the early lyrics are earth shaking compared to nearly everything else on the radio in those days.

So? That doesn't make them the best. It's a nice little trick. There were plenty of other bands playing that style, The Beatles just got famous first. And that doesn't mean they're amazing. I don't care if you look at me and say "Well you're a stupid teenager, you of course you would say that now." You've completely missed the point. It's not how revolutionary or different the music is, it's how good it is. And the Beatles weren't all that different. Just different from the mainstream music of that time.

but there would truly not have been any Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin without them
And you say I've misinterpreted music? Pink Floyd was influnced by blues, and have been around since 1965. They existed before that, playing around, finding new musicians, jamming with eachother. So they had the idea in their heads of what they wanted to do before the Beatles were hitting things like The Ed Sullivan show. Also, when Pink Floyd came out, they were the exact opposite of the Beatles. Not only that, they came out at relatively the same time. So how can you possibly say that Pink Floyd was influenced by The Beatles. Do you know where the name comes from? Blues musicians PINK anderson and FLOYD council. Blues musicians. Their inspiration. They aren't called Ringo George.

They only went deeper because they had a place to dig from
Bullsh*t. Pink Floyd did things on their own terms. As far as being innovative goes, I didn't see the Beatles coming out with songs like "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave and Grooving with a Pict". They were innovative. You're implying that Roger Waters sat around thinking "Hmm, I've got this great new idea, but I'm afraid the public won't like it. I better wait for the Beatles to use it so I can too without fear of being rejected." Maybe you should read up on the bands and listen to the music before you decide to critique it.