Overrated Movies

Batman

can i just say that i am not under 21, i have seen david lynch movies and i really like some of them, i have also seen luis bunuel's "chien andalou". so i dont fall into your caregory, and i really liked "donnie darko" and "fight club" is one of my favorite movies. so its a bit stupid to have such preconceptions about who likes what

I agree. I would also like to add that I don't have a lot of options to see foreign or complex movies since I am a suburban teen. The only place I can really get a movie is at blockbuster or the library. The library did have both the movies you suggested though.

Something about Mary was a terrible movie! It's really overrated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob sings Roxy Music?s ?More Than This.? The lyrics, ?More than this — there is nothing,? sounds a note of existential desolation that gives way to acceptance and finally affirmation. Charlotte is a random encounter in the wilderness, but connecting with her is enough.

They go back to their respective hotel rooms, Bob later on speaks to his wife, where he clearly realises he can't tell his wife he's just spent the evening with a woman half his age, and he feels more alive than he has for years. It signifys a turning point in his life.

Now that , I understand. Thanks, Benita.

"Stalker" by Andrei Tarkovsky

A lesson in how to do much with almost nothing. It was a slow and confusing journey that led to...what? Individual insight seen from the outside is anticlimactic. Still, this is one of "those movies that stay in your mind long after the lights go up." (What's up with the little girl who has such a knowing look at the film's finale?) =:P

Bob sings Roxy Music?s ?More Than This.? The lyrics, ?More than this — there is nothing,? sounds a note of existential desolation that gives way to acceptance and finally affirmation. Charlotte is a random encounter in the wilderness, but connecting with her is enough.

They go back to their respective hotel rooms, Bob later on speaks to his wife, where he clearly realises he can't tell his wife he's just spent the evening with a woman half his age, and he feels more alive than he has for years. It signifys a turning point in his life.

Couldn't have said it better myself :: I had the luxury of tuning out the critics and the fans of this movie, so that when I saw it I knew nothing of what I was going to get. To those who disliked it or saw less than they were expecting, I suggest something like Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise and maybe after that Before Sunset. It has a similar theme, but with a different take on the circumstances :puppyeyes:

That's true, I'm under 21 and the only movies I've seen have been available at blockbuster or the library. But where else can I go to get movies? This is not an argument, just a question.

I'm not getting paid to do this, but NetFlix is a great rental service with a wide variety of movies that even amazes me. You could go the extra step and subscribe to Facets Multimedia, but you'd have to be looking for the latest and greatest in indie cinema and be an art-house cinema purveyor. Try NetFlix for a couple of months and see if it is to your liking.

As for Solaris, if you're looking at the Andrei Tarkovsky version... BEWARE! I'm telling you this because he is renown for making looooong, slow, extended, drawn-out sequences for his movies. This movie is about 3 hours long, but seems double that! I'd suggest watching it in segments as it is divided into two parts. The first part is its major obstacle. Most people give up on the movie just by the first segment alone, but the second part, if you can get through that, introduces an idea which will have you thinking for the next couple of days. You know the kinds of ideas: Free will, perception, what is reality? That sort of thing. I see someone else complained about another Tarkovsky movie. Here's a reason why they're so lengthy: He was under a lot of pressure from Soviet censors. In order to dodge getting his movies chopped, he made some really boring scenes so that censors wouldn't bother looking at his movies in-depth to find questionable ideas. This is the case with Solaris. The former Soviet Union was pushing science and atheism, while this movie made the question: "In the end, who are we to say science takes precedent over any other possibilities?" This is antithetical to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey (which came out a couple of years before and is often compared with). Kubrick's movie told its audience: "Look! Look at what the collective human mind and will has accomplished!" I'll admit it, these movies are hard to digest in one sitting. First time I saw Solaris, my arse fell asleep, but my brain gave up half-way. Do yourself a favour and watch it in a span of a couple of days instead.

can i just say that i am not under 21, i have seen david lynch movies and i really like some of them, i have also seen luis bunuel's "chien andalou". so i dont fall into your caregory, and i really liked "donnie darko" and "fight club" is one of my favorite movies. so its abit stupid to have such preconceptions about who likes what

No. It isn't stupid. It's an opinion based on what I have seen... often.

Hear, Hear ! ...and amen. "Jack !", "Rose !", ""Oh, Jack !", "Oh, Rose!", "Take me, Jack ", "No, take ME, Rose ", "Jack !" , "Yes, Rose ?", " My FOOT, Jack !", "Sorry, Rose !", "Jack ?", "Rose ?", "Would you die for me, Jack ?" , "Oh ! I WILL Rose, in the third act !", "Oh, Jack !", "Rose ! "

often, sure...the option of personal taste never crossed your mind! maybe its an american thing that i just dont understand, censorship and difficulty of finding anything non-mainstream.

What are you talking about? I've already answered your comment and now you're saying "it's an American thing"... come again? Were you not satisfied with my simple explanation earlier on that you now must extrapolate to say it's "an American thing"? Of course "personal taste" crossed my mind: Mine and those whom I've seen rate this highly. In this instance, mine is better than theirs. Original poster asked, "What movies do you think are overrated?" I answered, "Donnie is a terribly overrated movie. It sucks and I'd be a lame-brain if I thought it was any good considering I've seen far better fare. I could probably name 10 other movies delving in similar topics that handled it better. I have seen this rated highly amongst young people who haven't seen enough movies or people who are young." Seems as if you're having a real hard time dealing with my opinion that you should go to the extent of not only calling it "stupid," but going further by making the above comment.

no, actually i have no problem dealing with your opinion, its your opinion and i respect that. i just didnt like the comment you made about people who like donnie darko and fight club being young people who havent watched any non-mainstream art-house or whatever, movies.

im sorry if what i said offended you, im a hot-blooded mediterrenean redhead woman who likes defending her opinions. lets just leave it at that...

(Burns voice) Excellent. Now it begins...

XXX, picked up "The Pit and the Pendulum" and " Fall of the House of Usher " for $6 bucks each. Sweet ! Any comments/ reviews ? They came out ina series called "Midnight Movies" by MGM. Check out the website and let us know if anything strikes your fancy... !

i dont know anyone who thought speed 2 was any good so i wouldnt call it overrated.

"erin brokowich", that was overrated too, why she won an oscar for that bafles me! especially when she was up against ellen burnstyn who was amazing in "requiem for a dream". plus, everyone was going on and on about how it was so much different to all of her other films, was i the only person who watched the "pelican brief"? it was exactly the same!