Overrated Movies

Batman

What do you think are the most overated movies?

I would like to start off by saying "The Incredibles" was completely overated. It failed as a comedy, and as an action movie (sorry, but seeing animated action just isn't very fun to watch), and it was cliched. And all the critics are praising it for "tackling tough issues". The only issue they tackled was marital problems, which Nickolodeon and the Disney chanel are tackling all the time. So anyways, I didn't like it at all.

Now for a less controversial opinion, "Dude Where's My Car" was overrated. It seemed like the only reason people liked it was because critics didn't. It just didn't make me laugh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donnie Dorko

I think I hate those movies intensely because everyone loves them, but even if everybody hated those movies I'd just say they're right :beatnik:

I thought Donnie Darko was awesome! It was good because it was confusing, but I still understood it. Did you understand it? I'm not jumping to conclusions and saying you didn't, I'm just curious

I thought Donnie Darko was awesome! It was good because it was confusing, but I still understood it. Did you understand it? I'm not jumping to conclusions and saying you didn't, I'm just curious

Ever seen Solaris or Abre Los Ojos? After watching those movies and reading all the hype Donnie Dorko got, when I finally got around to seeing it it was all so anti-climactic. Did I get it? Yes, I did. It was a befuddling mess of a story, though. You want "confusing"? Try David Lynch or, better yet, Luis Bunuel and Alejandro Jodorowsky. As for Dorko, the stipulations to better understand this piece of crap is that you have to go to their little website, you have to watch the deleted scenes, and other junk outside of the story itself. Now, something which requires outside factors in order to be better understood is not very good. The story doesn't stand by itself. You often hear, "You have to go to the website" or someone commenting on the theory book. This movie sucks, plain and simple. Lead character couldn't act his way out of a bathroom mirror either (only reason he's in the biz is 'cause his dad is a film director). Anyway, I loathed it. It's placed highly amongst people 21 and under who probably have not seen many movies outside of their Blockbuster video store. It's the same way with Fight Club and Kill Bill. To think these are any good is tantamount to insulting my own intelligence. I might say it - tongue-in-cheek. If I wanna watch a self-conscious attempt at depth I might go for Donnie Dorko again, but I'd rather watch something that interests and fascinates me beyond what I have already seen or up those same standards.

I'm going to be gunned down for this (haha) but:

Natural born killers

Reservoir dogs

Pulp fiction

Ali

Dogma

Hahah. I just saw a clip[ of Natural Born Killers in a vis arts class. Oliver Stone is a hit or miss kind of guy. He was the screenwriter for Midnight Express and I loved that movie. Platoon was great. JFK was decent, but lengthy! Way too much. Then there are the misses like Salvador, Natural Born Killers, and Alexander. There is no middle ground. Juliette Lewis is hot, though :googly: Couldn't overrate that!

The Passion of the Christ - I couldn't understand a word.

Troy - badly scripted, badly acted pap.

Alexander - likewise.

I disagree with Pulp Fiction, Reservior Dogs and Kill Bill though. I guess you either like Tarantino or you find him intensely disjointed, laddish and irritating.

Regards

did anyone actually think troy was good? because i wouldn t consider it overrated as noone had anything good to say about it.

i will get get shot for this, but "lost in translation". i liked it but it was nowhere near as good as everyone claimed it to be!

and although i do like tarantino, and i did really like "reservoir dogs" and "pulp fiction", i thought "kill bill2" was very disapointing

I haven't yet seen Troy, but I have it here waiting to be watched. I'm awful at leaving films for ages before watching them. I still haven't watched my 'Gladiator' DVD :laughing:

I really like 'Lost In Translation' ~ I thought it was a beautiful film that perfectly portayed two people who wouldn't normally cross paths, both lost their way in life and their chance meeting improves their lives.

It really touched me when I watched it, I was off work long-term and feeling incredibly lonely, and it was a film that gave me something to think about fo ages after I watched it, compared to watching some otehr drivel that would have no impact :beatnik:

"My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was tremendously overrated. I was told it was a laugh out loud, side splitting movie, and I think I laughed once. I don't even remember the majority of it!

as a greek person, i felt quite embarassed watching this movie, it was quite funny but so overdone. i am told greek people in the states are a bit like that though

If I may ask, why didn't you like it?

And here's another movie that I forgot to add to my list, Garden State.

Ever seen The Ice Storm? After that, most any movie trying to portray the typical, dysfunctional American family pales in comparison. American Beauty was replete with noxious cartoonish characters with little depth. It was also trying to say many things at once, but never really accomplished in finishing one thought. Kind of reminds me of how Brazilian cinema tends to go on and on without finding a proper conclusion (or closure). The worst part is that this thing won critical and public appraisal, which I think is wholly undeserved, but, hey, it probably entertained and titillated lots of people with their ad campaign of a nubile Mena Suvari splashed in rose petals. Great, little cinematographic sequences interspersed by a whole lotta overacting. God, I truly dislike Kevin Spacey's acting. I think only Robin Williams and Gilbert Gottfried can top him in annoyance level. Unfunny and real fidgety... ugh.

I really like 'Lost In Translation' ~ I thought it was a beautiful film that perfectly portayed two people who wouldn't normally cross paths, both lost their way in life and their chance meeting improves their lives. It really touched me when I watched it, I was off work long-term and feeling incredibly lonely, and it was a film that gave me something to think about fo ages after I watched it, compared to watching some otehr drivel that would have no impact :beatnik:

That's a great movie. I think of it the same way. I guess when one's used to loneliness and solitude, and not being able to connect with people in foreign places, it adds a little more to the story than what it really is on-screen. I know a lot of people despised it for the same reasons that they thought it was bland or got too much acclaim from critics :beatnik:

There's Something About Mary. What garbage!

You said it Uncle. I've never been able to stand any movie with Ben Stiller in since. Also, unless it's been said already TITANIC. After they'd spent about an hour in the water I said to my Wife "I wish they'd either get picked up or bloody drown". Reminds me of the time (before we were married - 1968?) when we went to see ROMEO AND JULIET at the Drive In. I fell asleep and woke up just as the death scene was on and said "are they dead yet?" and my Wife burst into tears. I'm NOT really that insensitive - just that I lead with my mouth.

:doh:

WORST Movie I ever saw "Zabriskie Point" and MOST DEPRESSING "The Pawnbroker". FUNNIEST, "A Night At The Opera" with the Marx Brothers.

:: :( :laughing:

That's a great movie. I think of it the same way. I guess when one's used to loneliness and solitude, and not being able to connect with people in foreign places, it adds a little more to the story than what it really is on-screen. I know a lot of people despised it for the same reasons that they thought it was bland or got too much acclaim from critics :beatnik:

im not saying i despised it, i did like it, i just thought it was really overrated, perhaps because everyone kept telling me to watch it because it was so amazing, so im not sure what i expected to watch. oh, and by the way, i am a greek person living in england, i did go through the loneliness and solitude, so that is not an issue

Any movie by Quentin Tarantino. Mindless, extremely violent, pap. Scarface with Al Pacino. One of the most dreadful acting performances in cinematic history. His appalling Cuban accent offended all of my Cuban friends. Gratuitously violent. Most Stanley Kubrick films (except Dr. Strangelove, which I thought was brilliant). :happybanana:

1. Ever seen Solaris or Abre Los Ojos? After watching those movies and reading all the hype Donnie Dorko got, when I finally got around to seeing it it was all so anti-climactic.

2. Did I get it? Yes, I did. It was a befuddling mess of a story, though.

3. You want "confusing"? Try David Lynch or, better yet, Luis Bunuel and Alejandro Jodorowsky.

4. As for Dorko, the stipulations to better understand this piece of crap is that you have to go to their little website, you have to watch the deleted scenes, and other junk outside of the story itself. Now, something which requires outside factors in order to be better understood is not very good. The story doesn't stand by itself. You often hear, "You have to go to the website" or someone commenting on the theory book.

5. This movie sucks, plain and simple. Lead character couldn't act his way out of a bathroom mirror either (only reason he's in the biz is 'cause his dad is a film director). Anyway, I loathed it.

6. It's placed highly amongst people 21 and under who probably have not seen many movies outside of their Blockbuster video store. It's the same way with Fight Club and Kill Bill. To think these are any good is tantamount to insulting my own intelligence. I might say it - tongue-in-cheek. If I wanna watch a self-conscious attempt at depth I might go for Donnie Dorko again, but I'd rather watch something that interests and fascinates me beyond what I have already seen or up those same standards.

Note: I have numbered your comments, instead of making a new quote box for every comment

1. I have'nt seen solaris or the other movie, but I think I will put them on hold at the library right now

2. Oh, I see

3. I won't necesarily like a movie because it is confusing.

4. I didn't go to the site or see the deleted scenes, but I still think I got it

5. All I can really say to that is "I disagree"

6. That's true, I'm under 21 and the only movies I've seen have been available at blockbuster or the library. But where else can I go to get movies? This is not an argument, just a question.

Ever seen Solaris or Abre Los Ojos? After watching those movies and reading all the hype Donnie Dorko got, when I finally got around to seeing it it was all so anti-climactic. Did I get it? Yes, I did. It was a befuddling mess of a story, though. You want "confusing"? Try David Lynch or, better yet, Luis Bunuel and Alejandro Jodorowsky. As for Dorko, the stipulations to better understand this piece of crap is that you have to go to their little website, you have to watch the deleted scenes, and other junk outside of the story itself. Now, something which requires outside factors in order to be better understood is not very good. The story doesn't stand by itself. You often hear, "You have to go to the website" or someone commenting on the theory book. This movie sucks, plain and simple. Lead character couldn't act his way out of a bathroom mirror either (only reason he's in the biz is 'cause his dad is a film director). Anyway, I loathed it. It's placed highly amongst people 21 and under who probably have not seen many movies outside of their Blockbuster video store. It's the same way with Fight Club and Kill Bill. To think these are any good is tantamount to insulting my own intelligence. I might say it - tongue-in-cheek. If I wanna watch a self-conscious attempt at depth I might go for Donnie Dorko again, but I'd rather watch something that interests and fascinates me beyond what I have already seen or up those same standards.

can i just say that i am not under 21, i have seen david lynch movies and i really like some of them, i have also seen luis bunuel's "chien andalou". so i dont fall into your caregory, and i really liked "donnie darko" and "fight club" is one of my favorite movies. so its abit stupid to have such preconceptions about who likes what

I thought 'Lost in Translation', while not unbearable, was way overrated. I can see how people in that situation would get more from the movie, sure enough.

I just found it boring, like I was waiting for a crescendo that never happened. I also felt there were pointless parts of the movie that went on way too long. The party scene? What was the point, and why did it last forever?

I thought 'Lost in Translation', while not unbearable, was way overrated. I can see how people in that situation would get more from the movie, sure enough.

I just found it boring, like I was waiting for a crescendo that never happened. I also felt there were pointless parts of the movie that went on way too long. The party scene? What was the point, and why did it last forever?

i think you must be the first person i know who feels the same way as me! everyone else simply adores it!

The party scene? What was the point, and why did it last forever?

Bob sings Roxy Music?s ?More Than This.? The lyrics, ?More than this — there is nothing,? sounds a note of existential desolation that gives way to acceptance and finally affirmation. Charlotte is a random encounter in the wilderness, but connecting with her is enough.

They go back to their respective hotel rooms, Bob later on speaks to his wife, where he clearly realises he can't tell his wife he's just spent the evening with a woman half his age, and he feels more alive than he has for years. It signifys a turning point in his life.