Have a cigar

Mike

Subjects of discussion:

Record companies have long since manipulated and short changed artists by making big bucks while the artists get a fraction of what the company gets!

Then there is the compact disc. It replaced the cassette 22 years ago, albeit it took a decade to become a common media.

But with he cost of production of a cassette case being much higher (multiple pieces, assembly) versus the "stamped" compact disc, shouldn't these things have been a dramatically lower cost, and therfore lower retail? What do you think?

Don't get me started about concerts!

Have a cigar. I thought you and mrs. floyd had had a baby. MOre like yogi everyday! ::
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think that record companies are really frightened about the changes... the price of a cd is less than a vinyl, but I think tapes will always be there and, at least in Spain, their price hasn´t change that much.

Cassette tapes are pretty much non-existent in the US. The reason for CD prices is overhead. The industry has found a way to make much more money so they squander it at every given chance since the prices of CD's are so high and the cost of duplicating CD's so low that the monetary gains are huge. Think of all the people that get paid to create an album...

- the recording artist

- writes to songs that were borrowed or sampled

- audio engineers

- studio editing

- studio recording

- promoters

- CD duplication

- insert printing

- publishers

- distributors

- retailers

- account managers

- sales associates

- recording label

- beer fund

- pizza deliveries

- gas for the Hummer

The list goes on and on. I think the problem is that the recording industry has become so corporatized and there are too many levels within the industry.

Hey Edna, you like Los Toreros Muertos? It's been years since I listened to them, and their stuff is nowhere to be found around here :P

Hi, Cosmo, Happy Christmas!!!! Toreros Muertos did a couple of funny songs, I guess they´re no longer together. It was the band of a humoristic actor and two more guys. I don´t like them really, I know the leader and he´s a nice guy but their music is just like a joke.

If you need any info about spanish bands, ask me!

LOL I love that "Mi Agüita Amarilla" song. Funny how they go into so much detail about something that simple :D. I remmember Hombres G were huge back in the 80s, I don't know if they are still around. Hey, let me know when you can tune in to internet radio and I'll do a rock en español special just for you :shades:

btw, are you a Madrid native? I went there with my parents somewhere in the 80s. My granpa was from Mallorca, which is like paradise. Man I wanna move there

Then there is the compact disc. It replaced the cassette 22 years ago, albeit it took a decade to become a common media.

But with he cost of production of a cassette case being much higher (multiple pieces, assembly) versus the "stamped" compact disc, shouldn't these things have been a dramatically lower cost, and therfore lower retail? What do you think?

I was just saying to my girl the other night, my brother first bought a VHS movie in 1982. It was Fame and cost 80 bucks. Blank tapes back then cost about 8 or 9 bucks a piece. My VCR back then cost me over $900 bucks.That is always the story when it comes to new technology. Until the demand is there the prices will remain high.

I use to buy cassettes instead of CD's because they were half the price. Took me a while before I realized what a mistake that was. One way I have found to beat the cost of CD's is by purchasing the bulk of my CD's from BMG. Prices average around $7.50 once you meet the one CD purchase requirement. Your first 12 CD's should run you $75 or so (they get you on the shipping) because of all the free ones they give you to join. It is a good alternative for building a CD library.