same band- different incarnations??

windy1

Errr.. Weezer? You're kidding, right? They got together on a lark to try and help pay for college by playing gigs. They broke up so they could all finish college, then came back with a terrible, terrible album. Definitely not the Beatles...

Well, the only way they are Beatle-esque is because they appeal to youth and adults. However, I agree, the Beatles are one of the most important rock bands ever, and Weezer just make really good pop.

In response to Bitter Almonds, I'd say we are lucky to be living in the golden age of rock music! It's diversified so much, and it's so incredibly available (through the internet). Also, blogging has greatly improved the music scene by making word of mouth an international affair. See the last paragraph of my "Clap Your Hands SAy Yeah" review for more information.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I'll just post it here for you.

Since nobody has ever written a review for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah without mention of how indie they are, I might as well talk about that now. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are the very definition of indie. They have no record label, so they did everything themselves. This includes recording and mixing, burning of CDs, labels, and distribution. When somebody would find out about them (by word of mouth or an internet blog), they would order their CD on their website, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would mail them the CD. In an age before the internet, a band like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would have had no success. With their uncool image and Alec Ounsworth's terrible voice, there is no way they would have ever gotten a record contract (after selling thousands of albums, record execs approached them, only to be denied for the sake of artistic freedom). And without a record contract, there would be no record sales. However, with illegal downloading, myspace, and blogs (which raise word of mouth to a whole new international level), Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was able to have extraordinary success, selling over 40,000 CDs (which doesn't even include the thousands of people who heard the CD through downloading). Clap Your Hands Say Yeah give an inspirational message to all unsigned bands, and to humanity in general: you don't have to sell out to be succesful or happy. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah show that you can do whatever you want with music, and as long as it's good, you will have an audience. If everything continues the way it's going, soon we won't need the record companies at all because the "music industry" will consist of musicians and fans, and everyone will have artistic freedom, and everyone will be happy (or sad, or sleepy, or horny, or whatever they want to be), and indie rock will bring about world peace, and the entire world will join hands and sing Kumbayah, followed by a rousing rendition of "In This Home of Ice" whilst prasing Clap Your Hands Say Yeah as indie's Moses. OK, maybe that's a little unrealistic, but the point is that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah show why we are currently in the golden age for rock music. They are part of the movement that is bringing music back to it's roots...not because of a rootsy sound, but because they are helping create a music industry where the only people who matter are those who make music and those who listen to it.

I can name 100 good bands/artistrs around since 2000!

You're just pre-judging by top 40 material. I would say music today is just as solid as it was in the 60's and 70's.

And when you slated Death Cab as Power Pop, could you not call the Beatles the same thing?

And I can only see things improving from now on.

In High Schools nowadays (At least where I go) it is not cool to like Top 40 stuff anymore. If a girl likes Britney Spears, she will be shunned. If a guy likes Justin Timberlake, he will be beat up. Pop Punk like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte is for losers. The bands that are forming nowadays will be influenced by serious musicians, Led Zeppelin etc. And those who delve deep (like myself) gain influences like jazz, blues, folk and will mature into a complete musician. Kids nowadays will have the complete picture. You browse MySpace, you can find solid songs and bands almost anywhere you go. I myself am excited for the development of music, and I kick myself for being stuck in the 70's box I was in for about a year, because there is SO much more out there.

Errr.. Radiohead are on tour at the moment, new album coming out relatively soon, Thom Yorke just put out his first solo album.. Why aren't Radiohead this generation's Radiohead? Isn't one of the things that makes a band great that they evolve? They re-invent themselves? New Radiohead does not sound like old Radiohead. They don't just keep putting out albums with the same songs with new lyrics. Weezer, I'm sorry, but I have to argue Weezer.. They make decent pop, sure, but it's still the same pop they were writing on their first album. They didn't actually GO anywhere.

And Batman, if that type of indie turns ya on, you should honestly check out Marillion. They were pioneers in the development of how bands interact with their fans via the internet, and self-promotion, self-funded recording and distribution, etc. They even teach an economics course in England now at some university (don't remember which, read this a while ago) where they teach what they call "the marillion effect" based on how they influenced the record industry with their DYI approach.

Edited by Guest

disagree, so not the same version. coldplay are a blander, watered down version of radiohead

Okay, but Clodplay still sounds like Radiohead.

Errr.. Radiohead are on tour at the moment, new album coming out relatively soon, Thom Yorke just put out his first solo album.. Why aren't Radiohead this generation's Radiohead? Isn't one of the things that makes a band great that they evolve? They re-invent themselves? New Radiohead does not sound like old Radiohead. They don't just keep putting out albums with the same songs with new lyrics.

Steely Dan is on tour at the moment. Duran Duran were on tour about a year ago. Depeche Mode, too. They're cutting records in this generation, but they're not from this generation. This is applicable to Radiohead, who are a band from the 90s and whose crowning achievement was waaaay back in their debut, The Bends, and OK Computer.

i think his point was that coldplay and radiohead sound similar, which is completely disagree with, as i mentioned before

You said they sound like a "watered down version of Radiohead." That statement can be construed as sounding similar.

Ah.

Well, Chris Martin does sound a lot like Thom Yorke, but then, a lot of people sound like Thom Yorke. The other similarity is that their music is very atmospheric. Those are the only two similarites I can think of though.

And Thom Yorke sounds like Joakim Berg of Kent, who debuted a couple of years after Radiohead. Of all the Kent and Radiohead sound-alikes, I think Aqualung managed to pull it off really well.

Phew, for a minute there, I lost myself...

Steely Dan is on tour at the moment. Duran Duran were on tour about a year ago. Depeche Mode, too. They're cutting records in this generation, but they're not from this generation. This is applicable to Radiohead, who are a band from the 90s and whose crowning achievement was waaaay back in their debut, The Bends, and OK Computer.

no, don't say that! i don't want to think of it as a different generation! makes me feel old...

do I still belong to this generation? :P

Sure you do. In any case, you always belong to your own generation and people who is your age is now creating new things. There is also older creators active too, thanx god... ;) But I believe you´re in the middle of the action now and people who is around 20 (could be 15/35, more or less) are the flame of these times.

What do you call "original grunge people", Batman? (I ask cause I don´t really know...) you mean, late 80s? By then, people active were around 20/30 years old... so no, you would belong to a post-early grunge generation cause you were born in 1990 or 91, or 89...

Sure you do. In any case, you always belong to your own generation and people who is your age is now creating new things. There is also older creators active too, thanx god... ;) But I believe you´re in the middle of the action now and people who is around 20 (could be 15/35, more or less) are the flame of these times.

thanks, edna, but it was more a rhetorical question... ;)

What do you call "original grunge people", Batman? (I ask cause I don´t really know...) you mean, late 80s? By then, people active were around 20/30 years old... so no, you would belong to a post-early grunge generation cause you were born in 1990 or 91, or 89...

Well, I was born in 89, and I'm referring to people like Nirvana who got their start around 89 or so.