All about Halloween!

Ken

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since childhood I never dress for Halloween. The one time I did was back in 1988. I was an assistant coach on the school (grades 6-8) football team and was roped into being a supervisor at the school Halloween party. It was a Roman Catholic School so I decided to dress as a priest. Black hassock, white collar, dangling crucifix..all that.

It was amazing how many parents addressed me as Father. 90 % of the parents and 60% of the kids thought I was actually a priest at the parish.

This made for an evening of many laughs and many surprised looks on parents' faces when they heard some of the things that came from my mouth. LOL

Especially my comments about some of the Moms.

I also kept saying how I felt that RC Priests should be permitted to marry or at least have girlfriends and asking if anyone was interested.

Of course my wife was there too so I couldn't get too radical.

Oh, and one priest in attendance caled me Father, thinking that I was from a different parish.

I no longer play a priest though I have become rather Godlike.

Our first year in Colombia, we for some reason hadn't gotten costumes, so at the last minute, my mother made paper costumes for me and my sister. My brother got a "real" costume, don't remember why. Anyway, I was a paper bunny and my sister and I wore regular street clothes underneath because it was chilly and of course, our costumes ripped. That was not my best costume.

Probably the best one, because of the memories it created, was my sophomore year at college, where we made our costumes on the fly and I threw a black scark over my head and put my eyeliner on really dark and went as an Arab woman (actually, it was a terrorist, but that's not PC anymore, is it? Hey, it was 1989....way before all these tragedies happened). Nobody knew who I was and one man asked all of us what grade we were in!

I love all things Halloween and have dressed up every year for as long as I can remember. Some highlights...

I was Alfalfa and my best friend at the time was Buckwheat when I was 12.

I was a Madonna Wannabe in my early teens.

I was the skanky Princess Leia with the gold lame bikini sometime in my late teens.

I was a cavewoman with a fur leotard and a bone in my hair (simmer down) in my early twenties.

I was a 70s chick in my early 30s, with a big afro and wicked cool bellbottoms.

I was a nun when I was 7 months pregnant. My props were a cigarette, a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels and a huge cross.

I was going to be Lil Jon (a rapper) last year, but they frowned upon that here at work...it may have been offensive. I thought it would have been funny. I ended up being an 80s rocker chick with big hair, leather pants and blue eyeshadow. Somehow I wound up looking like Dee Snider from Twisted Sister.

I haven't figured out what I will do this year. I'll let you know when I do.

Lil' Jon would've been a fantastic costume. You should really consider that one again.

My wife is thinking about being Prince this year. She is also quite wee. We had a brilliant idea for a duo this year, but can't remember it. She's short (5 feet) and I'm tall (6 feet), so it had something to do with that. And she would be the guy to my girl. Anything ring a bell? What the hell were we thinking of?

Sonny and Cher? That would be spec-freaking-tacular.

Lil Jon would have been cooler last year, when the whole Dave Chapelle "What? Yeah! Okay!" thing was still fresh. All the students were looking forward to it, but the administration here felt that someone might be upset about me dressing up as someone of another race. It's not like I was going to paint my face or anything. I suppose I understand...it's just sad to live in a time where every single thing is so scrutinized.

Got together with my nieces tonignt and brought some pumpkins to carve up. Musically, my nieces like to kid "Unca Kenny" about their choices of what to listen to. Tonight was no different....

p10402512tj.jpg

p10402563zg.jpg

p10402821fz.jpg One says "G-Unit" one says "Bling Bling" and the last one says "Jue", for Juliette, their exchange student friend from France.

Fortunately, my Son didn't let me down...

p10402906kr.jpg

Carve 'em if ya got 'em....

Ken.

http://www.pumpkinglow.com/Patterns.htm

We will hold off carving until next weekend, yesterday we went out and got alot done, including choosing the appropriate gourd, as many as we could afford. Next weekend we will dig in.

Ken. Nice pics. It's just another fun, time honored tradition. I really enjoy watching the kid's excitement. The creativity! Amature sculptures!!