Album Cover Art

Farin

(the most recent thread about this that I could find had the last posts 3.5 years ago, so I'll start a new one)

70 years ago a young New Yorkian graphic designer called Alex Steinweiss decided that the plain wrapping of records of that time wasn't looking good enough, and so decided to make it a bit more appealing to the eye... and the Album Cover Art was born

47218d8da411d34707cc61e.jpg

"Smash Song Hits" ~ Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart (1939), the first album cover

b3b04af51e8ae28ed681c2em.jpg

Steinweiss' design for the cover of Beethoven's "Emperor Concerto" caused the sales of it to go up by 895%

and it also possibly inspired another, more famous, cover roughly 30 years later ;)

here are some more of his album covers

okay, enough for a lengthy introduction post ;)

if you know any cool album covers, feel free to add them here :)

On one of the SF TT specials we did, I choose Bob Marley's "Catch A Fire", as a nomination. I think I added this to the information when I nominated it.

I thought it was pretty cool.

Quoted from Wiki:

Cover art

The first 20,000 copies of the original 1973 vinyl release, designed by graphical artists Rod Dyer and Bob Weiner, were encased in a sleeve depicting a Zippo lighter. The sleeve functioned as a real Zippo lighter case, opening at a side hinge to reveal the record within. As machinery available was not sufficient to rivet the upper and lower halves of the sleeve together, the assembly operation required hand-manufacture and was deemed too expensive to mass-produce. Hence, subsequent pressings are recognizable by their alternate cover art containing an Ester Anderson portrait of Marley smoking a joint. Copies of the record from these original pressings have since become collectors' items.[1] The original cover art was used again in 2001 for the Deluxe compact disc edition.

]BobMarleyCatchAFire.jpg

70 years ago a young New Yorkian graphic designer called Alex Steinweiss decided that the plain wrapping of records of that time wasn't looking good enough, and so decided to make it a bit more appealing to the eye... and the Album Cover Art was born

That pretty much continued throughout the forties and into the early fifties. Album cover ideas expanded as society changed. That by the '60s...

album-the-complete-ella-fitzgerald-.jpg6a00d414298a4e3c7f0110180e653f860f-.jpgbill-evans-and-jim-hall-undercurren.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Whipped-cream-and-other-delights_288x288clamdip.jpg

buranainbrass_sexy.jpg142.jpg

Frivolous-Five.jpgalbum_cover_crap_225_-_amright_com.jpg

Herb Alpert's Tijuana brass - Whipped Cream & Other Delights

Soul Asylum - Clam Dip & Other Delights

Washington Symphonic Brass - Carmina Burana & Other Delights

Pat Cooper - Spaghetti Sauces & Other Delights

The Frivolous Five - Sour Cream & Other Delights

Sweet Cream - Sweet Cream & Other Delights

• 3 months later...