Top Tens by Decade - The 1990s

I would have liked to see Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Boyz II Men and similar R&B artists represented.

I almost replaced Under the Bridge with End of the Road by Boyz II Men or TLC's Waterfalls at the last minute, but forgot. I also considered "One Sweet Day" and Whitney's song from the Bodyguard, but knew nobody would vote for those, myself included :P

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*in my best motherly voice*

This is why we should nominate what moves us instead of worrying if anyone will vote for it, children. Now eat your vegetables and stop crying before I give you something to cry about. :grin:

I totally would have voted for any of the previously mentioned songs. I understand that the angsty so-called alternative white guy stuff was noteworthy in the 90s but it sure wasn't what was happening in my neck of the woods.

I like just about the entire list, whatever you want to call it. Maybe it isn't representative of every popular genre, but we chose it, so we can't really argue with it. I almost nominated Waterfalls as well (when I nominated it for the Top Ten it made it easily), but didn't at the last minute. Oh well, it is what it is. Still a nice list overall. :thumbsup:

Well MBV didn't make it either :mad: That song is off Loveless! Loveless!!!

AND - this is what's REALLY strange - neither did Radiohead. Loveless and OK Computer are possibly the MOST influential 'alternative' albums of the 90s. The list is obviously 'wrong' without Radiohead (though I'm obviously very happy they didn't make it :grin:)

Surely you know what Pitchfork did to invoke my wrath? in their 100 best albums of the 90s they had Loveless at #1 and OK Computer at #2. There's an accurate list, thought I and stupidly put my faith in them (P4k). What happens later? Whiny fans go - OMG RADIOHEAD IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH - and Pitchfork says 'ok' and CHANGES THE LIST, so now Loveless is at #2 and OK Computer at #1 and I don't care how good their writers are I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever forgive them!!!

Ahem - point is - best albums of the (truly alternative) 90s, didn't make it. And are you SURPRISED? Pfft. Some of the most representative songs of the 90s weren't even NOMINATED (Your Woman, Sleeping Satellite, Lemon Tree, Tom's Diner, Moby, Blur/Suede/Pulp, Dandy Warhols, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Spiderland...) - it's probably the most predictable list (for SF) out of all the Decade TTs, and the most accurate representation of the 90s would be all these noms PLUS the bands/songs I just mentioned.

Surely you know what Pitchfork did to invoke my wrath? in their 100 best albums of the 90s they had Loveless at #1 and OK Computer at #2. There's an accurate list, thought I and stupidly put my faith in them (P4k). What happens later? Whiny fans go - OMG RADIOHEAD IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH - and Pitchfork says 'ok' and CHANGES THE LIST, so now Loveless is at #2 and OK Computer at #1 and I don't care how good their writers are I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever forgive them!!!

I hadn't heard that before. That is very weak, caving in to public pressure over something as arbitrary as a Top 100 list. Especially with an album like OK Computer, which despite me really liking Radiohead, I consider to be a very overrated album. :doh: