and the Greatest Voice in Rock is...

Farin

[big]Robert Plant voted 'greatest voice in rock'[/big]

Led Zeppelin vocalist beats Freddie Mercury and Paul Rodgers to top

[smaller]NME.com | Jan 3, 2009 | Link[/smaller]

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has been voted the greatest voice in rock by music fans.

The singer beat Queen's Freddie Mercury, Free's Paul Rodgers and Deep Purple's Ian Gillan to the top spot in the poll, organised by Planet Rock.

The Who's Roger Daltrey, Whitesnake's David Coverdale and Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose also featured in the lower reaches of the top ten.

The full top 20 is:

1. Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)

2. Freddie Mercury (Queen)

3. Paul Rodgers (Free/Bad Company)

4. Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

5. Roger Daltrey (The Who)

6. David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

7. Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)

8. Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

9. Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)

10. Bon Scott (AC/DC)

11. David Bowie

12. Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)

13. Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)

14. Jon Anderson (Yes)

15. Bruce Springsteen

16. Joe Cocker

17. Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)

18. Bono (U2)

19. Peter Gabriel

20. James Hetfield (Metallica)

Well, I would drop a few of those (Jon Anderson, Joe Cocker), and put in Elvis, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Rod Stewart, John Fogerty, several members of The Band, Steve Marriott, and possibly a pair of Buckleys ;-) There's a bit of a metal bias in this list, I reckon.

(From Australia, Billy Thorpe and Jimmy Barnes are as good as any I have heard, and Michael Hutchence is much underrated)

LBBBBB

Edited by Guest

See? No female rockers... :shades: No Slick, no Joplin, no Winehouse, no Smith, not even Mrs. Faithfull! (yes, she has an amazing voice since Broken English)

No Otis, no James Brown, no Aretha... guess they must apply for "soul"...

And yes, Plant and Daltrey would also be among my first choices. Lennon had a very sexy voice. Elvis should be here too.

By the way, where´s Bob Seger? :shades:

Hi Seeker,

A big YAY for Steve Marriott. But I really reckon Paul and John get unjustly overlooked when people talk about great singers. Twist and Shout, Helter Skelter, God, Hey Jude, etc etc. I think the conventional wisdom is that the Beatles weren't great players, weren't great singers, but that just doesn't make any sense to me.

Whatcha reckon?

LBBB

A greatest voice list that does not place Dusty Springfield or Jackie Wilson among its top 20 is sorely lacking depth of nuance and would seem to be targeting volume.

Well, to be fair, this list was about rock. I wouldn't put Dusty or Jackie in the rock category. But if we are expanding to all pop music, then Sam Cooke is my number one by a million million miles ;-)

LBBB

Interesting. "Versatile" is really not a word that I would use for Roger Daltry. Not that Roger is a one trick pony, but I would definitely say that Plant has a much larger pallet.

(Anyway, I love them both, but I've always wondered what Led Zep would have been like if Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page had swapped singers.)

But Paul McCartney... now that is a versatile singer! As a thought experiment, I'm trying to parachute Paul into some other bands and see how he sounds... I think he could cut it in just about any band you might care to name.

Whatchareckon?

LBB