The Songfactors' Choice: Groundbreakers

Lucky

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, here I go:

Released in the Summer of 1966, with a disturbing art cover by Klaus Voorman, Revolver showed the rising of a new style. A first step into pyschedelia.

An album with sounds from India melting with Motown style, a childish melody or a nice enchanting tune, tabla and harsh electric guitar, piano or maraccas, simple love songs or tripping lines, "Revolver" told the world pop music was going to take a deep turn only one year later.

And if you spell it backwards you get "Revlover" :)

The Complete Recordings - Robert Johnson

There's only 29 songs + 12 alternate takes that were recorded at 2 sessions in 1936 and 1937, but most bands from the British Invasion and the American bands of the 1960's used to start out covering blues songs. Some of the rock icons that were inspired by Robert Johnson were Jimmy Page, Elvis Presley, Keith Richards and Eric Clapton. And their music has had a great impact on blues, country, pop, rock and heavy metal.

As his playing partner Johnny Shines put it, "Some of the things that Robert did with the guitar affected the way everybody played. He'd do rundowns and turnbacks. He'd do repeats. None of this was being done. In the early '30s, boogie on the guitar was rare, something to be heard. Because of Robert, people learned to complement theirselves, carrying their own bass as their own lead with this one instrument."

He remains to this day one of the most influential progenitors of rock and blues music.

Seeing as how the honors program hinges on it, I guess it'll be ok this time. It's certainly a better reason than "my dog ate it". ;)

Also, it's really ok to take your nominating post & rework it if you want to, or whatever you prefer.

Edited by Guest

I'm pretty satisfied with my nomination's text :)

Trans-Europe Express ~ Kraftwerk (1977)

It's not their first album, it wasn't even their most commercially succesful one, but I think it's Kraftwerk's most important album.

While their precursors "Autobahn" and "Radio-activity" were a bit more experimental, this here is a round, fully electronical listening experience, influenced by classical music, catchy repeated melodic themes and vocoded vocals make for a hypnotic (in a good sense) experience.

The title track is, similarly to 'Autobahn', made to let you feel like you're on a train ride. From station to station / back to Dusseldorf City / Meet Iggy Pop and David Bowie (who both lived in Berlin at that time and were good friends of the band).

But besides these two the record has had a tremendous influence in the following decade's music. Without it there would be no electronic music as we know today, from synth-pop to house and techno.

fun fact: this is one of only 2 (!) albums by non english speaking artists in Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" (the other being "Buena Vista Social Club")

and at the end we'll listen to some hip-hop :shades:

Of course not silly :laughing:

no... of course not... why would you... :( :( :puppyeyes:

;):D

as to your question: I wouldn't recommend downright copy/pasting, since we want to have a personal comment from everybody (including your name ;) ), but there's nothing against getting some inspiration I guess :)