save the educations!

scott

Also, beethoven bach and mozart were all german... but I think we can all understand what they're communicating.

I think Martin will want to object... :shades: ;)

sorry, austrian.

but that means the spoke german right?

sorry for being geographically ignorant.

I think bach was german tho.

actually no, I wouldn't object to that :)

[history lesson]

there actually was no country called "Germany" until 1871

at the time of Beethoven, Bach, Mozart there was the "Holy Roman Empire (of the German Nation)" which consisted of many, many bigger and smaller Duchies, Principalities and a couple Kingdoms

so, eg Mozart was born in Salzburg, which is present day Austria, but in 1756 it was the capital of the "Archbishopric of Salzburg" (per wikipedia, not that you think I knew that ;) )

but from today's view they're all part of the German culture and thus considered and refered to as "German" composers

[/ history lesson]

;)

No one mentioned the monetary aspect?

A career in music or film or some related field isn't regarded as very stable.

Something like accounting or law is more likely to bring in the big bucks.

Therefore, more pressure to take up and excel in one of the latter subjects and music is to be just a hobby if that.

After writing hundreds of letters, making more phone calls then I care to even think about and attending numerous demonstrations to keep Outcome Based Education out of Oregon schools I finally said s*** it and home schooled my daughter for three years.

I used ABEKA curriculum and video's. By the time she was in sixth grade and I had her tested she tested in the collage level for most everything. It was expensive but well worth it. It was very important to us that she learned the basics.

As most of you can tell from my posts, my spelling and grammar is terrible. That's why I used the best curriculum I could find and belonged to a very good home school group. That's not counting the private school that also used ABEKA video's and curriculum I put her in for a year and a half. Or the foreign language classes she also attended.

As for the arts, she was exposed to every form of the arts that I had available :D Portland is two hours from us and they have great plays and concerts etc.

Then I put her back in Public School :puppyeyes: and it was stright down hill from there.

Lea, I don't recall learning a dang thing from my elementary school teachings in grammar and vocabulary. What I know about grammar, punctuation, and just words in general, I learned from reading. Reading. Reading, reading, and more reading.

On another note, regarding the music and how it parlays into other aspects of life: one of my new classmates is 17 years old, has been home schooled her entire life, plays piano, and is screaming past the rest of us in speed tests on the Stenograph. We figure it's due to the piano experience. And perhaps her ability to super-focus.

However, she is sorely lacking in social skills. She was a heinously pompous little **yotch at first. She's gotten a little better.

That is why I put my daughter back in to the main stream. She is very extroverted it would have been cruel to isolate her. She got the basics from homeschooling and then returned to public school in 6th grade. We were between a rock and a hard place. She got to choose.

It was becoming obvious she was very unhappy with homeschooling even tho she had chosen it. She was just to isolated and didn't feel like she fit in with the other home schooled kids. She is also ADHD so that is a whole different set of problems.

We let her go back but like I said, it was all down hill from that time on. Accademicly she learned nothing at all. But she did get well socialized. She has always been well liked by her peers and did all the typical stuff kids do and then some. But, if I hadn't home schooled her I honestly feel she would be illiterate.

She has a good job and a good future now and that's all we ever wanted for her.

I come from a family of readers and could read before I entered school myself. I love books :D When I was in school in WYO. they had just started teaching site reading and weren't teaching phonics. They were trying something new so I never learned to read, spell or punctuate properly. If I see a word I can tell if it's not right but unless I use a dictionary I can't spell it myself like most people can :puppyeyes: I just wasn't taught that way.

I do audio books these days because my eyes have gotten so bad and DH goes nuts if I try to read a book :confused: If he sees me pick up a book, he needs my attention so after being married to him for so long I just gave up. Just like I did with writing poetry. He's getting the same way about the audio books now :beady: To bad for him :laughing: