music taste: based on personality?

Batman

Interesting thought - I think the most likely answer is that they are related, but I wouldn't say one dictates the other. I personally don't think anyone could sensibly suggest there is no relation, as there is a pretty clear relationship between the two with people I know. I wouldn't describe it as all-encompassing, though.

I think it's initially personality that dictates the kind of music that appeals to you... not what you listen to. Then as you start to 'focus', the music starts to become a part of you, y'know? It integrates itself with who you are. So first it's one, then it's the other.

Sure, both can happen simultaneously, but I like it in order like this.

edit: And I mean music as a whole... I'm not talking about relating to lyrics.

Edited by Guest
first a 'clarification' , then removal of a superfluous statement

• 5 weeks later...

This is a very interesting question! I think that there are no set rules for what kind of personality goes with any type of musical taste...i know 55 year old ministers who like Poison! And 14 year old girls who like country that my mom grew up listening to. I've always been shy and quiet so people would be amazed to know i like bands such as Marilyn Manson. And i love to rock out hard but that don't mean i dont have my share of Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera. I think musical taste does not reflect your personality or vice versa...there are exceptions to every rule therefore rules don't apply.

I grew up listening to various types of music, so my tastes are quite extensive. I'll admit that anything from the new century doesn't appeal to me (save for a few select songs) but not a single song really reflects my personality.

case in point: Tchaikovsky, Wilf Carter, Dwight Yoakam, Johnny Cash, The Animals, AC/DC, April Wine, Janis Joplin, Motorhead, Megadeth.

These are all among my favorite artists (there are several more) so there is no way that my taste is based on personality.

I think it also has to do with what they grew up with. My parents were into country music so I don't mind some country once in a while. Especially the really old stuff.

But then my baby brother will introduce me to Slipknot and Drowning Pool and I like some of their stuff too. Personality has nothing to do with it. It's just a choice.

I agree Foolon... when I was about your age everyone listened to pop music but I preffered the heavy metal scene and even classic rock (I was teased alot because of it) in the end I had my favorite music which didn't fit my personality (most of the heavy metal was about fighting and I never fought in my life) but I liked it. Preference, not personality.