Ask a Non-US Citizen Songfactor

Lea

We have a lot of Bazaars this time of year. Sounds kinda like what you mean. They sell all kinds of stuff at them. Mostly handmade stuff. People rent space in a building and either set up booths or tables to display their stuff on.

They have bazaars through out the year but holidays are the biggest draw. A lot of them can be kind of expensive. I've been both a seller and a buyer at them. There fun. Some people make a lot of money selling at them throught out the year.

People work making the stuff for a good part of the year so it will be ready for the Christmas season. I haven't gone to one in years tho.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a lot of Bazaars this time of year. Sounds kinda like what you mean. They sell all kinds of stuff at them. Mostly handmade stuff. People rent space in a building and either set up booths or tables to display their stuff on.

They have bazaars through out the year but holidays are the biggest draw. A lot of them can be kind of expensive. I've been both a seller and a buyer at them. There fun. Some people make a lot of money selling at them throught out the year.

People work making the stuff for a good part of the year so it will be ready for the Christmas season. I haven't gone to one in years tho.

I wouldn't describe it as a bazaar, really - the stuff you can buy there is mostly an extra to the experience of actually being there ;)

also I forgot to mention that there are a couple of small rides, ferris wheels etc, but that's mostly for the kids anyway :)

and while every city above a population of 10.000 has one, the one here, in Rostock, is the "biggest in the North (of Germany)"... 250 booths on a stretch of 3.2 km (2 miles)... I think they expect something between 1.5 - 2 million visitors this year...

PS. more pictures

Edited by Guest
link

out here in the West we use the term "craft fair" (where people seel their homemade creations), "farmer's market" (for the open-air markets where you can buy lots of great fresh veggies and fruit), and "street fair" (which is everything all rolled up into one).

There's also swap meets which occur weekly where people typically have a "permanent" booth set up to hawk their wares, whether it be food of some sort, new products, or used items like you would sell at a garage sale.

out here in the West we use the term "craft fair" (where people seel their homemade creations), "farmer's market" (for the open-air markets where you can buy lots of great fresh veggies and fruit), and "street fair" (which is everything all rolled up into one).

There's also swap meets which occur weekly where people typically have a "permanent" booth set up to hawk their wares, whether it be food of some sort, new products, or used items like you would sell at a garage sale.

yes, we call that 'market' ;)

the Christmas market is a different concept, I guess you have to be there to know what it's like :P :crazy:

• 1 month later...

that's the "English Garden" in Munich, and I think this rule only applies to parts of it (with a river or lake in it, so that could qualify as a beach :grin: )

I dunno if other large city parks have that rule too, it could very well be *shrugs shoulders*

btw, I heard that many locals don't like to use it anymore because apperantly it became quite famous for foreign tourists ;) :P

we don't have that here, but we do have a nude-beach

arn't those parks in the US too? (or was it UK)

Well, they aren't legally clothing optional in the states ;)

The show I saw made it seem like the whole park was clothing optional. I had never heard of a park being that way, so I was a little surprised

Hi everyone! my name is Tammy and i live in sunny South Africa! at the moment i am living in a suburb of Johannesburg but i will soon(as in tomorrow) be moving to Pretoria as i am going to university there! :) okay. when i look outside my window... sorry to disappoint but i live on a main road opposite a fire station and next door to a KFC. no wild animals in sight. :( we have a holiday house in Vumelane which is near Kruger National Park and we see wild animals there but otherwise not so much. as for education, im not the best person to ask because my school did the Cambridge system so i have just written my AS and A levels on a british syllabus. Im sure wikipedia has some frightening statistics on literacy and education here because it is frightening. feel free to ask any other questions you may have about my country!

Hey, everyone here forgot my birthday (or just weren't notified/aware of it, but let's ignore that).

A PLAGUE ONTO YOUR HOUSES!

;)

Yes, Farin is right... you should have told us... instead of posting a weird funeral cake as your avatar :laughing: I even asked you if it was your b-d but I got no answer... :shades: