Rock & Roll Jeopardy 2

Rayzor

Shux.

But, wow, it's amazing how closely he matches a lot of yourJeopardy! 'answer'

[smallest]excerpts from wikipedia articles say[/smallest]:

[*][smallest]The band initially formed in 1959 as Tom and the Tornadoes, with the then only 12-year-old Tommy James as lead singer. In 1963, he re-named the band The Shondells after one of James' idols, guitarist Troy Shondell.The same year, they recorded Hanky Panky. James' version sold respectably in Michigan, Indiana and Illinois, but the record label, Snap Records, had no national distribution. The single failed to chart, and the Shondells disbanded.[/smallest]

[*][smallest]Two years later, a Pittsburgh radio station unearthed the forgotten single and touted it as an "exclusive." Listener response encouraged the station to play it regularly. Another Pittsburgh disc jockey played his copy of the single at various dance parties, and demand soared. Bootleggers responded by printing up 80,000 bootlegged copies of the recording, which were sold in Pennsylvania stores. James first learned of all this activity after getting a telephone call in December 1965 from Pittsburgh disc jockey "Mad Mike" Metro, to come and perform the song. James contacted his fellow Shondells, but they had moved past their musical ambitions and did not want to travel to Pittsburgh.

In 1966, James went by himself and made promotional appearances at the Pittsburgh radio station, in nightclubs and on local television. "I had no group, and I had to put one together really fast," recalled James. "I was in a Pittsburgh club one night, and I walked up to a group that was playing that I thought was pretty good (a local band named The Raconteurs) and asked them if they wanted to be the Shondells. They said yes, and off we went.".[/smallest]

[*][smallest]With ... his new Shondells, James now had a touring group to promote the single. James went to New York, and sold the master of Hanky Panky to Roulette Records. With national promotion behind it, the single became a national number one hit in June, 1966.[/smallest]

[*][smallest]At first, Tommy James and his Shondells played straightforward shambolic rock and roll, but soon became involved in the budding bubblegum music movement. Songwriter Ritchie Cordell gave them the hit I Think We're Alone Now. From 1967 to 1969, the group turned out hit after hit on the Roulette label, including six more that made it to the top ten ... the group members tried themselves as songwriters, with James and Lucia penning the psychedelic classic Crimson and Clover (the group's second and final U.S. #1 hit).[/smallest]

------------

OK. I'm stymied.

Just so y'all don't have to backtrack too far, here's what Lucky is looking for

OK, Bubble Gum Artists for 1,000.....

This well known artist wrote and recorded his first song at the age of 14. It went nowhere, but when he re-recorded it 6 years later, it became 1 of his 2 #1 hits.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who is Tommy Roe? :P

He goes in circles (he rows), he did bubblegum and I wonder if he wrote his first hit at 14,,,

The correct question is....Tommy Roe! He had two #1 singles, Dizzy (what happens if you go in circles) and Sheila (remember Sheila?). Roe wrote and recorded Sheila at the age of 14 to no response. In 1962, at the age of 20, he re-recorded it for ABC Paramount and it became the first of his 2 hits. He would not reach the #1 spot again until 1969 with Dizzy.

I didn't have a clue that Tommy James so very closely fit however, bazooka! I could have accepted that answer! :P

You are up edna! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Edna. Yeah, Rhode Island School of Design...a dead give-away. Okay, new one...

CHICKS for $600...

Her first attempt at a debut album was rejected by her record company in 1992. After a few tweeks and a few new songs, she released her debut a year later, and it went on to sell over seven million copies and garner her three Grammy Awards, including Best New Aritist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: